AFL And Rugba Leeg

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Okay, maybe a bit serious and let it sit here and let it pass if it's not for you, I will declare I might use some of the ideas expressed here - certainly not anyone's words or opinions or names, to form an idea for young adult novel about kids growing up and playing footy, nothing new in that....

But in the wake of the recent AFL revelations about the treatment of indigenous players do you think there is a difference between AFL and league.

I have always thought that league has embraced indigenous players because it has been working class and union has been the upper class game without the same representation.

I haven't grown up in VIctoria or SA so I don't know the situation down there but I have the feeling the elite private schools still play AFL and therefore the game has the 'born to rule' (look that's a cliche and as hurtful to my argument as anything else but for want of a better metaphor I'm using it here to illicit debate) mentality that may have been so luckily but thoroughly fought for by the ideals of our game and allowed the celebration of our indigenous players

Hard to know what’s happening behind the scenes and I think what may have happened 20 years ago is in the past.

Indigenous players are not easy to manage , they can be wonderful / gifted additions on the field but there’s many downsides as well.

I would certainly lay hope we are doing better than the AFL.

I think what may have happened 20 years ago is in the past.
Not sure why you would think that. Steve Renouf (barely 2 years ago): "Without a doubt I can tell you that there is a racism problem in Australia". He didn't say there was a problem 20 years ago, he says there is a problem.

His comment at the end is equally clear - his dream for the future is not yet reality. "My dream for Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander people is that we live in this country and live together with everyone else. We're all one, we are one country ... we're not your enemy, we're all Australians".

Not sure why you would think that. Steve Renouf (barely 2 years ago): "Without a doubt I can tell you that there is a racism problem in Australia". He didn't say there was a problem 20 years ago, he says there is a problem.

His comment at the end is equally clear - his dream for the future is not yet reality. "My dream for Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander people is that we live in this country and live together with everyone else. We're all one, we are one country ... we're not your enemy, we're all Australians".
I’m referring to a a football sense , not Australia as a whole.

Would be good to think so. Although this was only 12 years ago - and 2 years later the NRL bestowed it's greatest honour on this guy:

Disgraced NSW assistant coach Andrew Johns let fly with several offensive racist slurs including "coon, Abbo, nigger and monkey" before winger Timana Tahu's dramatic Origin walk-out, an Aboriginal leader said on Tuesday.

GWS forward Haneen Zreika opts out of AFLW Pride Round due to rainbow jersey​

Giants forward Haneen Zreika will miss next weekend’s AFLW match against Hawthorn to avoid wearing the team’s pride jumper.

Greater Western Sydney forward Haneen Zreika will miss next weekend’s AFLW match against Hawthorn to avoid wearing the team’s pride jumper on religious grounds.
The 23-year-old, will not feature in the Round 8 contest at Henson Park on Sunday, October 16, marking the second-consecutive season that she’ll miss the AFLW Pride round, The Herald Sunreports.

The practising Muslim also missed last season’s match against the Western Bulldogs in Sydney after refusing to wear the Giants’ rainbow jersey, which shows support for the LGBTQIA+ community.

Zreika became the first Islamic footballer to play in the AFLW after making her debut in 2019, kicking six goals in 36 games since.

She played during the AFLW pride round in 2021, but the Giants did not wear a pride jumper that season.

“As the first Australian Muslim woman in the AFLW, I have a responsibility to represent my faith and my community,” she wrote in a statement in January.

“I respect people regardless of their sexual orientation.

“This decision was extremely difficult and I appreciate the support of the AFL, Giants and my teammates.

“Inclusion is about creating a space where people are able to respect their right to choose how they live their life as long as they don’t advocate hate and division.”

Speaking on Disney+ documentary series Fearless: The Inside Story of the AFLW, Zreika explained how the pride jersey made her feeling like an “outsider” in the competition.

“Coming into this, I never thought it would be an issue,” she said.

“I didn’t want to make a big deal of it, until the AFL rejected me from wearing a normal jersey. That was a shock to me. I love what the AFL do and the way they include everyone, but you can’t have a round where you include people but exclude someone that it impacts their faith.

“I really feel like an outsider, like, ‘No mate, you’re not part of us’.

“I always respect everyone, no matter what they are or where they come from.

“But obviously I take my religion seriously.

“They can be whatever they want. I still love and respect them and they’re still my mates.”

The Giants, who are currently 13th on the AFLW ladder after claiming two wins from their opening six rounds, will next face Collingwood at Victoria Park on Sunday, with the first bounce scheduled for 5.10pm AEDT.

I have South Aust relatives from the rural areas and they are very racist, it is completely ridiculous how racist they are. They love afl.

Nrl no doubt has its problems but I doubt there are any nrl ceos that have a golliwog in club colours that they call Buddy.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4