• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ok, if AFB was on $850K this year how much is Marty on? People were discussing releasing Kapow recently for salary cap relief but he can't be on $850K or more surely.
I can always ask him ... Marty and I go way back, as we throw the iron around together a fair bit.

I mean...well..I follow him on Insta and see him do it and then I tell myself to get back to lifting the irons.

OK, so technically I don't 'know' him....so I can't actually 'ask' him per se :wasntme:......not a very helpful post really.....

......this is what happens when your side sucks.

Not sure why people think the “new rules” or “fast game” is going to nullify big forwards.Firstly,no one knows if those rules are going to be in play next year,probably will be but there will be tweaks.Secondly,the Storm,for example,have some of the biggest forwards to ever play the game and they don’t seem to have a problem.AFB will be just fine with any rules,if he stays healthy physically and mentally,of course

I think, it all gets down to how quickly they play the ball ... Papalii and Junior Paulo can both hit the line hard and make metres, but get up quick ... a fast play the ball against a retreating disorganised defence seems to be the go today ... rather than a rumbling, trumbling 10m after contact ... whilst it looks good and makes plenty of metres ... the defence doesn't care because they generally have time to reset ...

Ok, if AFB was on $850K this year how much is Marty on? People were discussing releasing Kapow recently for salary cap relief but he can't be on $850K or more surely.
Fairly certain we paid overs to get Marty, and when his contract was coming up there was talk that the club wasn't going to resign him for anything like he was on and were prepared to let him go, but they obviously came to a mutual agreement, probably around the 600k mark.

We have a LOT of very expensive players , and that affects our depth badly.

You have to have a few but maybe we have too many ??

But..how many is too many?
How many is a few?

I've said it before, what players like DCE, Marty, Cam Smith, Benji, even Foz bring off the field is hard to put a value on when comparing contract $$ under the cap
What did Ben Kennedy bring and more importantly leave?.
Do you dump them for the sake of the salary cap for raw talent?

What are the Dragons going to miss from a player that is a walk up start in SOO every year in Frizell?
Is he the right expensive player to leave them?

Look at our own Silvertails MVP, Turbo blew a gasket that in Rd 6 (?) but he was still only three games away from winning.
Our top paid players led the way..DCE, AFB, Kapow, Jake....surely it would be the same in most squads.
Chooks - Tedesco, Keary, JWH, Cordner
Storm - Smith, Munster, NAS, Bromwich
Raiders - Wighton, Papalii, Hodgson, Whitehead (?)
Knights - Ponga, Pearce, Klemmer,
Rabbits - Latrine, Walker, Reynolds, Cook
Sharks - Johnson carried them, Graham, Fifita, Dugan ( yes the last two are questionable)
Eels - Gutho, Fergo, Moses, Matterson
Panthers - Cleary, Tamou, Kikau, Api

Take out 2-3 of each for any extended period and see what you're left with?

That is the salary cap juggle.

But..how many is too many?
How many is a few?

I've said it before, what players like DCE, Marty, Cam Smith, Benji, even Foz bring off the field is hard to put a value on when comparing contract $$ under the cap
What did Ben Kennedy bring and more importantly leave?.
Do you dump them for the sake of the salary cap for raw talent?

What are the Dragons going to miss from a player that is a walk up start in SOO every year in Frizell?
Is he the right expensive player to leave them?

Look at our own Silvertails MVP, Turbo blew a gasket that in Rd 6 (?) but he was still only three games away from winning.
Our top paid players led the way..DCE, AFB, Kapow, Jake....surely it would be the same in most squads.
Sharks - Johnson carried them, Graham, Fifita, Dugan ( yes the last two are questionable)

Take out 2-3 of each for any extended period and see what you're left with?

That is the salary cap juggle.
It's an equal juggle if all teams have the same amount to spend. This inequity is why we don't have a MUCH closer comprtition.
All the teams you listed fare a hell of a lot better if losing 2 of those players than we obviously can..

Not sure why people think the “new rules” or “fast game” is going to nullify big forwards.Firstly,no one knows if those rules are going to be in play next year,probably will be but there will be tweaks.Secondly,the Storm,for example,have some of the biggest forwards to ever play the game and they don’t seem to have a problem.AFB will be just fine with any rules,if he stays healthy physically and mentally,of course
The storm is the perfect example of how its not working for the big unit type of player. NAS was one of the best starting props in the comp pre Covid but hes now a bench rotation forward playing 30 min max is he not? Happy to be wrong but heavy players such as AFB may indeed struggle in the coming years if the speed of the game is artificially increased. Good move Manly.

I think, it all gets down to how quickly they play the ball ... Papalii and Junior Paulo can both hit the line hard and make metres, but get up quick ... a fast play the ball against a retreating disorganised defence seems to be the go today ... rather than a rumbling, trumbling 10m after contact ... whilst it looks good and makes plenty of metres ... the defence doesn't care because they generally have time to reset ...

I agree the AFB play the balls are mind numbingly slow,

The storm is the perfect example of how its not working for the big unit type of player. NAS was one of the best starting props in the comp pre Covid but hes now a bench rotation forward playing 30 min max is he not? Happy to be wrong but heavy players such as AFB may indeed struggle in the coming years if the speed of the game is artificially increased. Good move Manly.
But then again you have the likes of Thomas Burgess who's had his best year, is very big but also has a bit of speed about him. I think it's the lumbering type of forward for whom the bell tolls

It's an equal juggle if all teams have the same amount to spend. This inequity is why we don't have a MUCH closer comprtition.
All the teams you listed fare a hell of a lot better if losing 2 of those players than we obviously can..

Yep,

I get your point to a degree but

for any length of time plus the usual incidental injuries and suspensions to the periphery
and then your depth gets challenged.

We've seen our "depth" play great one week but then not back it up.
Look at our Silvertails MVP.
Cust had 2-3 really good games
Harper, Miski, Keppie, Guac but it's the week in, week out stuff.

It might only be three weeks but we lost Knights x 2, Parra, Tigers, Warriors by less than 6.
There's four games that might get you into the 8 ( yes every team has them too )

Actually really disappointed that Johnson blew his Achilles, he was carrying the Sharks and whilst he was playing they were a reasonable threat point wise.

Time will tell

I can always ask him ... Marty and I go way back, as we throw the iron around together a fair bit.

I mean...well..I follow him on Insta and see him do it and then I tell myself to get back to lifting the irons.

OK, so technically I don't 'know' him....so I can't actually 'ask' him per se :wasntme:......not a very helpful post really.....

......this is what happens when your side sucks.
Let yourself out

But then again you have the likes of Thomas Burgess who's had his best year, is very big but also has a bit of speed about him. I think it's the lumbering type of forward for whom the bell tolls
exactly... speed....

as good as AFB is speed is one thing the guy doesn't have. it could of just been him having a sook this year but the time it took him to actually get up and play teh ball was shocking.

We have a LOT of very expensive players , and that affects our depth badly.

You have to have a few but maybe we have too many ??
Speaking of salary cap matters , surely has to be some serious thought on how to get some better value out of Jake and for his 900 k plus contract , Almost on J T "s [ Taumalolo ] at the Cows money but on this year's indications and no disrespect for the great warrior but probably providing more like a 500 k performance level player . Has natural strength and quite good mobility but not a line breaker at 13 , not sure if he can offer any better value on an edge [ although his younger brother Ben may go all right there next season ] Maybe to go to the role of a forward leader at prop with a high work rate , reasonable go forward and to keep some stability in the middle .
It's all speculation as to what Jake is on, I would say that Tom is on around $900k and Jake perhaps , 750-800k max, which is still at the high end for what he offers on the field, DCE and Tom, when available, will win you games, Jake, no

It's all speculation as to what Jake is on, I would say that Tom is on around $900k and Jake perhaps , 750-800k max, which is still at the high end for what he offers on the field, DCE and Tom, when available, will win you games, Jake, no
They are great for our brand “ the family club “ etc so there’s more to it than money BUT ultimately we aren’t the Roosters so have to largely work with the cap and a small TPA for DCE and if we believe a TPA for Foran provided by the estate of Brenda Duchen.

Otherwise all our players are in the cap ( don’t know if that’s 100% right but would be close ).

It’s just frustrating when the Roosters sign which ever player they want and you know it’s on possibly half cap half TPA.

Not sure in a crowded Sydney market you can do much better though.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6