Adapting to the SLOW ruck tactics

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
The NZ Warriors had to roll the dice and risk penalties to slow Manly down and over there or get blown away, I expected them to get latitude, which they did and to be fair, were by far the better side on the day.

But the way Tigers struggled to get into the game and did not have the energy of NZ and were basically laying over the player looking at the ref was blatant and whatever the penalty count was, should have been tripled....
The way to make the time in tackle is to lock in a 3rd man, sometimes a fourth, but this should not include a late man in or flop to do so and hands all over the player and the footy was ridiculous.
There is still meant to be an effort to release quickly, which has been frustrating to watch as over the past 2 games they seemed to be getting tangled up and the intentions appear very obvious.
The Manly players seem to be getting annoyed and even lashing out at times due to the time in the tackle.
The good thing was they knew to expect it last night and though the attack was effected by these tactics, were able to hang tough and break the game open late that first half.
It does also lead to ordinary play balls also which we were lucky to get away with, including the Taufua try and a funny 1 by AFB who was facing the sidelines.

I feel there will be plenty of this slowing down in the finals, so do need to adapt - which is the positive out of playing this style pre the big Finals campaign.
Out of the Tiger game the attack did look ruffled and disjointed at times, but was far cleaner than the previous week even allowing for the wet conditions so any improvement this time of year is good.

The last couple of weeks have been terrible due to the refs letting this go, soooo boring, if I wanted to watch wrestling I would. I wonder if they are letting certain teams get away with it to take the emphasis away from the Melb scum.

The last couple of weeks have been terrible due to the refs letting this go, soooo boring, if I wanted to watch wrestling I would. I wonder if they are letting certain teams get away with it to take the emphasis away from the Melb scum.
Totally agree. The sport has now become ugly.
We want to see ball movement but now it is frustrating watching defenders waiting until the ref gives them the nod to let the man in possession get to his feet.
I'd like current officials to watch video of a match from the 1970s and see how much football was actually played compared to today's wrestlemania.
Rules need to be simplified. The ref shouldn't have to be calling out describing the type of tackle that has been made - "Held", "Surrender" etc.
Just give us more actual rugby league.

Gallen did a great article on just this for Fox. Throw wider to the gap between the second rower and the half all day. Their middles don't get involved and get tired chasing the play.

If you replay the first SoO game this is actually Freddies tactic too and it worked a treat. When their middles are tired chasing the play use your zippy Cook (Fainu) to go for dummy half darts setting up your Tedesco (Turbo).

We should use this when we meet the MWF (Melbourne Wrestling Federation) next.

I was getting SO frustrated watching the game last night with the blatant efforts by the Tigers to slow down the ruck & the refs letting them so it.

You hear the ref call "HELD!" yet it was a good 2-3 seconds before the Tigers players were letting go & getting off our players, & doing it in the slowest, most entangled way possible.

Sometimes the ref was right there, pointing at the tackle & talking to those involved yet still no penalty was given.

Maybe I dont know the rules or something, because it sure seemed like we got penalised any time we didnt release quickly enough.

The NZ Warriors had to roll the dice and risk penalties to slow Manly down and over there or get blown away, I expected them to get latitude, which they did and to be fair, were by far the better side on the day.

But the way Tigers struggled to get into the game and did not have the energy of NZ and were basically laying over the player looking at the ref was blatant and whatever the penalty count was, should have been tripled....
The way to make the time in tackle is to lock in a 3rd man, sometimes a fourth, but this should not include a late man in or flop to do so and hands all over the player and the footy was ridiculous.
There is still meant to be an effort to release quickly, which has been frustrating to watch as over the past 2 games they seemed to be getting tangled up and the intentions appear very obvious.
The Manly players seem to be getting annoyed and even lashing out at times due to the time in the tackle.
The good thing was they knew to expect it last night and though the attack was effected by these tactics, were able to hang tough and break the game open late that first half.
It does also lead to ordinary play balls also which we were lucky to get away with, including the Taufua try and a funny 1 by AFB who was facing the sidelines.

I feel there will be plenty of this slowing down in the finals, so do need to adapt - which is the positive out of playing this style pre the big Finals campaign.
Out of the Tiger game the attack did look ruffled and disjointed at times, but was far cleaner than the previous week even allowing for the wet conditions so any improvement this time of year is good.
Definitely. I think the warriors did us a favour by exposing our weakness. Gives is a few weeks to prepare and adjust before the finals

Gallen did a great article on just this for Fox. Throw wider to the gap between the second rower and the half all day. Their middles don't get involved and get tired chasing the play.

If you replay the first SoO game this is actually Freddies tactic too and it worked a treat. When their middles are tired chasing the play use your zippy Cook (Fainu) to go for dummy half darts setting up your Tedesco (Turbo).

We should use this when we meet the MWF (Melbourne Wrestling Federation) next.

Very true, its all about numbers in the tackle and those bigger bodies and the edge gives 3 big wins -
* generally there will be only 2 in the tackle which makes the peel quicker
* Running at the halves will often lead to winning the contact and landing on elbows and knees and fast play ball - (Unless it's Tooves) :whew:
* As stated, those bigger bodies are forced to back peddle and chase which wears them down

It’s seriously the most frustrating thing. I honestly think that is part of the reason that we have lacked patience in our performances the past couple of weeks. We seem to be frustrated we can’t play the ball as fast as we want to due to the opposition laying all over us, and then are trying to re-create it through quick plays that don’t always seem to come off and turn into panic

Hopefully the refs knuckle down on disciplining it a lot more!

Sounds like we're using the game plan Souths had last year.

They got pretty far into the comp with the power forward game with Cook playing off the back off quick play the game. Then teams figured out how to slow it down and then they became largely ineffective.

I hope Des has a Plan B around this, such as throwing more shape in attack.

Was a big advocate on the rules crackdown last year. Penalize the crap out of everything and eventually I think teams would have stopped bending the rules..

We complained there were too many penalties. We gave up. Now we want more penalties.

Billy Moore suggested on 360 to stop it just make the rule only two in a tackle - which was fairly well what happened in the 90s when the game was at its best imo. Third tackler draws the penalty.

The easiest fix is for the referees to call HELD before the 3 man tackle collapses to the ground. If the tacklers still bring the ball carrier to ground after the HELD call, that should be an automatic penalty.

I noticed last few weeks the Parramatta Milkers don't seem to have any problems with opposition tacklers. The Eels keep getting gifted penalties against tacklers not getting off quickly enough. Even though it is obvious that they can actually stand up, they flap about like a mullet on dry land and then the penalty whistle goes for them.

Offloads and running onto the ball hard. The opposition can’t come screaming off their line into a player running hard onto the ball, the have to stop. Also I like it when Fainu passes wide to players running on the ball.

Offloads and running onto the ball hard. The opposition can’t come screaming off their line into a player running hard onto the ball, the have to stop. Also I like it when Fainu passes wide to players running on the ball.
Agree. I think we could simplify our game this way. We sometimes try to get too creative before laying the platform for our quicker men

Manly had no chance in 1982 and 83 grand finals against the Eels, despite smashing them earlier. Jack Gibson realised the day you really want to get away with the most is grand final day. So in the finals when the Eels played Manly the tacklers were well back the 5m and never got off the line early. Manly won easy. But on grand final day, the Eels were never back the 5m and sprinted up early, closing down and frustrating into error the all star Manly backs.

Now in 2019 its a different type of rule bending, but Manly will need to find a way to counter it during the finals as you can be sure the referees will put the whistle away and the opposition will be laying all over Manly.

Do away with dominant tackle rule.
Ref calls HELD counts to three and if the tacklers are not ckear, alowing a play the ball, then its a penalty or at least an extra tackle in the set.
No looking at the ref, no flopping in late to slow it down, no bs.

Probably just more advisable to make that extra effort to fight for a quick play the ball and to just naturally then put the onus and pressure on the defensive players to release quicker . Ironically , think that i have occasionally noticed quite a few Storm players fighting for a quick play the ball to try to negate their own previously introduced slowing down antics .

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2