Aboriginal League

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Seems like plans are well advanced to have a statewide and specific Aboriginal League competition, from as early as this year. It is planned that there will be 14 clubs and that each will be tied to an NRL club as a "feeder". (I presume it isn't practical to be a feeder to Auckland and one of Townsville/Brisbane/Melbourne)

I wonder if this is fair dinkum and if the carve up of feeder clubs has happened? There's a rich vein of talent up Morree way - I'd be hoping Manly could stitch something up that way.

PJ what are you hearing on the grapevine?

i reckon that would be a cracking comp to watch as well

mmmmm yeah I know of a number of players who are switching THIS IS NOT GOOD!!!!
A few years ago the local aboriginals formed their own team called the gekkos (the actual team in town is called the lizards)- all it does is cause problems and big ones- spreads into fighting off the park.
I'm dead against it and I seriously doubt that they would have the administrative abilities to run the comp- this is not a racist jibe just stating the facts. Look what happened when they ran ATSIC- they didn't look after their people they just looked out for themselves.
This will not work and lets not forget- aboriginals groups don't all just come under the one banner and they don't all get along- different tribes fight amongst themselves (to this very day).
I cannot for the life of me seeing this working and they would have to get sponsorship from the government or NRL becasue I can't see many local businesses in these towns getting behind it.

it's all good and well for people in the cities to say lets all hold hands and how great this would be but come down to the country and ask what affect it would have. The clubs that were banned were banned for good reason and I wouldn't be taking any kids to these games.
There are clubs disappearing left right and centre so what makes anyone think a comp specifically for aboriginals will work.
This is not a racist thing either but what makes you think these players will turn up each week...Ewan McGrady signed on but for how many games before he goes bush.
Like the many attempts to have specifically aboriginal things in the past (usually stirred up by aboriginal activists) this will fail and miserably (remember the aboriginal test team they were going to have).
I seriously thought we would be past all this and if it went ahead it would be a massive step backwards- black, white, pink, or purple, asian, aboriginal, anglo saxon or indian- all should be playing in the one team not a segregated one!!!!

Mate - is the fighting on the park "footy" related so to speak, or are there deeper reasonning behind it?
They are such a talented group per capita.

This comp wont last, it will make the front page of a paper within the first 6 months for all the wrong reasons and will be shut down.

it's all good and well for people in the cities to say lets all hold hands and how great this would be but come down to the country and ask what affect it would have. The clubs that were banned were banned for good reason and I wouldn't be taking any kids to these games.
There are clubs disappearing left right and centre so what makes anyone think a comp specifically for aboriginals will work.
This is not a racist thing either but what makes you think these players will turn up each week...Ewan McGrady signed on but for how many games before he goes bush.
Like the many attempts to have specifically aboriginal things in the past (usually stirred up by aboriginal activists) this will fail and miserably (remember the aboriginal test team they were going to have).
I seriously thought we would be past all this and if it went ahead it would be a massive step backwards- black, white, pink, or purple, asian, aboriginal, anglo saxon or indian- all should be playing in the one team not a segregated one!!!!

Post of the year so far
:clap:
:clap:

Mate - is the fighting on the park \"footy\" related so to speak, or are there deeper reasonning behind it?

It is generally the fighting off the park that is the problem, between either supporters of each team or in some case of the same team

If it does go that way and is a complete failure, I guess a lesson will be learnt. Hopefuly. Good luck to them & I hope it suceeds.

I must admit that I can see good reasons for and against the proposal - though the positives do seem whimsical and the negatives hard-nosed reality.

I know that I wouldn't be within a Bull's Roar of Apex Oval on the day when a Dubbo side are playing an out of town side.

Ask the people of Bourke about their games against Bree!!

Would Pat O'shane be a ref for these games and will the QLD police be entering a side??

[quote author=Ryan]
Mate - is the fighting on the park \"footy\" related so to speak, or are there deeper reasonning behind it?

It is generally the fighting off the park that is the problem, between either supporters of each team or in some case of the same team[/quote]

I hear you- it used to happen frequently and blokes playing would rush off the ground and get involved in blues on the sideline- totally embarrassing and a poor advertisement for the game.

Yep I agree. That it's a crap idea.

It will be lucky to last the season.

Captain Obvious strikes again!!! :yeah: :yeah:

Did anyone expect positivity from Byso on something that was slightly darker than pale?

[quote author=byso]
Yep I agree. That it's a crap idea.

It will be lucky to last the season.

Captain Obvious strikes again!!! :yeah: :yeah:

Did anyone expect positivity from Byso on something that was slightly darker than pale?

[/quote]

Captain Hypocrite strikes again ;)

For this to work it would take years of hard work one would think. But i would like to see it work think of the extra talent coming into the NRL over the years geez.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4