Abbott throws support behind Manly Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
PRIME Minister Tony Abbott has publicly backed Manly, telling the Sea Eagles: "Leave nothing in the tank!"

Abbott has risked alienating Sydney Roosters fans by sending a public letter of encouragement to the Manly club ahead of Sunday's NRL Grand Final.

Read More

PRIME Minister Tony Abbott has publicly backed Manly, telling the Sea Eagles: "Leave nothing in the tank!"

Abbott has risked alienating Sydney Roosters fans by sending a public letter of encouragement to the Manly club ahead of Sunday’s NRL Grand Final.

The new PM, though, is Member for Warringah, his electorate smack-bang in the middle of Manly territory.

Abbott wrote: "You haven’t made it to the Grand Final by accident. You have fought every step of the way.

"The critics said you peaked too early and ran out of puff, well, you answered that last Friday.

"I know Sunday will be in many ways bitter-sweet for (injured forward) Richie Fa’aoso.

"Richie, all footy fans are glad you are OK and I hope that over the months ahead you make a complete recovery.

"While I have the cauliflower ears of a footballer, I only have the football prowess of a politician, so I will keep my advice concise: Leave nothing in the tank!"

Manly co-owner Rick Penn is a close friend of the Prime Minister.

"Tony is such a decent man," Penn said.

"He has always taken a keen interest in Manly. He comes to our grand finals.

"He is a real sportsman who loves the NRL and is passionate about the Sea Eagles.

"Tony is a great supporter of our club. It is a fantastic honour to have the Prime Minister in our local area."

Abbott has pledged $10 million toward an upgrade of Brookvale Oval, a ground in desperate need of restoration.

He is often seen in the Brookvale Oval private suites.

Abbott was never a rugby league player though, preferring to play rugby union during his footy career.

He concluded his letter by writing: "I wish I could be in the stands cheering you on, however I will be representing Australia at a summit overseas.

"Rest assured, I will find some way to watch the game.

"Go Manly!"

Dean Ritchie http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/prime-minister-tony-abbott-throws-support-behind-manly-sea-eagles/story-e6frf3ou-1226732539700#ixzz2ggotc1Bn

I wonder who will be there on the Prime Ministers behalf on Sunday.
Hope it's not Joe Hockey, he made a nasty tweet last Friday night saying he could never support manly after what they did to the bears.

I may have replied telling him to stick to what he knows best and start cleaning up the Alps mess

CAMBO said:
I wonder who will be there on the Prime Ministers behalf on Sunday.
Hope it's not Joe Hockey, he made a nasty tweet last Friday night saying he could never support manly after what they did to the bears.

I may have replied telling him to stick to what he knows best and start cleaning up the Alps mess

Haha, satire at its finest. Well done Cambo.

Always felt sorry for Dragons supporters having to put up with John Howard front and centre whenever the team looked likely. Now I know exactly how they felt.
Love having Hugh Jackman, Tom Kenneally, Wendy Harmer, Layne Beachley, etc, etc, etc. But politicians should stay out of sport.

Frank said:
swoop said:
TA: "We will stop the Roosters"

Trouble is we won't know who won the GF until they give their weekly report the following week.
Trouble is you cant read very well Frank lol
He concluded his letter by writing: "I wish I could be in the stands cheering you on, however I will be representing Australia at a summit overseas.

BOZO said:
Frank said:
swoop said:

Trouble is we won't know who won the GF until they give their weekly report the following week.

Trouble is Bozo I didn't read the article at all. Without wishing to turn this into a political argument I am not the slightest bit interested in what Abbott has to say about anything.

My response to Swoop's original post was because I suspected his "We will stop the Roosters" comment as a play on Abbott's "We will stop the boats" promise.

Viewed in this context my reply to him might make sense. My apologies for the confusion.

Frank said:
BOZO said:
Frank said:
swoop said:

Trouble is Bozo I didn't read the article at all. Without wishing to turn this into a political argument I am not the slightest bit interested in what Abbott has to say about anything.

My response to Swoop's original post was because I suspected his "We will stop the Roosters" comment as a play on Abbott's "We will stop the boats" promise.

Viewed in this context my reply to him might make sense. My apologies for the confusion.

Some people take things too seriously, I didn't read the entire article either Frank.

Frank said:
BOZO said:
Frank said:
swoop said:

All good Frank . Abbott , you and I are all Sea eagles . . Abbott will stop the boats and we will stop the roosters :)

Abbott, forget the 10 mill. Make it 50 mill. You've done nothing for our area / infrastrcuture etc whilst being the local leader - try and do something, and leave a legacy as the PM for YOUR area.

Show some tangible commitment. With all the money being splashed around, 10 mill in perspective is atrocious.

Make it a state of the art, all purpose arena fitting of concerts, various factions in sports utilisation, and other amenities.

This walking through Brookie with a jersey on, "pledging" 10 mill, while contested seats previously are receiving monstrous amounts of funding is insulting.

Ryan said:
Abbott, forget the 10 mill. Make it 50 mill. You've done nothing for our area / infrastrcuture etc whilst being the local leader - try and do something, and leave a legacy as the PM for YOUR area.

Show some tangible commitment. With all the money being splashed around, 10 mill in perspective is atrocious.

Make it a state of the art, all purpose arena fitting of concerts, various factions in sports utilisation, and other amenities.

This walking through Brookie with a jersey on, "pledging" 10 mill, while contested seats previously are receiving monstrous amounts of funding is insulting.
Very good point Ryan , Send this post to his office after we Win the Grand Final !!!

swoop said:
Frank said:
BOZO said:
Frank said:
swoop said:

Some people take things too seriously, I didn't read the entire article either Frank.

And I thought I was making a funny. :D

Not so much any more. :(

just heard a snippet of an interview where he was dribbling on about its great to see manly there because when Des "retired" people didn't expect the team to go good.
only time im ever embarrassed to see anyone in the jersey is when this clown is parading around in it.

Agreed Super. You make a fine point Ryan, and I would urge you to send it to Abbott's office.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4