A question, without notice

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
Players are deemed to be 'out' when they jump from outside the field of play, so why are goalkickers allowed to do just that when attempting to convert from the sideline?

Kicking a sideline goal used to be a rare feat and something to be marvelled at. Remember Ken Irvine conversion that won the Test match at the SCG against Great Britain? But now the balls are so much easier to kick that such a feat has become ho-hum. So why not increase the difficulty again? Make the goal kicker stay in the field of play at all times; now that would make the run-up extremely interesting to watch.

Players are deemed to be 'out' when they jump from outside the field of play, so why are goalkickers allowed to do just that when attempting to convert from the sideline?

Kicking a sideline goal used to be a rare feat and something to be marvelled at. Remember Ken Irvine conversion that won the Test match at the SCG against Great Britain? But now the balls are so much easier to kick that such a feat has become ho-hum. So why not increase the difficulty again? Make the goal kicker stay in the field of play at all times; now that would make the run-up extremely interesting to watch.
If that's the case you wouldn't get any goals kicked from the sideline, why bother ..lol. It would be virtually a couple of steps then kick, sorry TW the fans wouldn't like it.

It was not a very serious question; just something that would allow the NRL to tinker with the rules of which they are prone to do.
I must say though that because footballs are now synthetic and travel much further and more accurately, and the goal kicker more proficient, the once rare feat of kicking a sideline goal no longer excites.

It was not a very serious question; just something that would allow the NRL to tinker with the rules of which they are prone to do.
I must say though that because footballs are now synthetic and travel much further and more accurately, and the goal kicker more proficient, the once rare feat of kicking a sideline goal no longer excites.

How about sticking one of those tyre balancers on the side of the ball to make it harder to get direction. It would be fun to see a synthetic ball wobble around like an old leather ball.

Would need a Mike Eden type kicker, problem solved.

I am waiting for the day when a player is tackled in field and as gets up to play the ball has one foot over the touch line.
In the old days that was allowed, I guess it would matter which team it would affect these days.

God forbid we have to worry about a footfault. The bunker and ref rulings are already controversial. A No for me thanks.
E5D9374E-4749-4B69-9FD3-5534B8CB18EA.jpeg

Like this one?

So it could have been an indiscretion but cleared by klein?

Annesley said that the on ground ref told the WT captain that the bunker had cleared the kickoff.

This is what kinda bugs me when Annesley looks incredulous when telling us all 'how could there be a conspiracy? We are so scrutinised."

Ok... so how does Klein make that decision then? The player is in front of the line before kicking. Not subjectively....objectively in front of the line which is a penalty. (doesn't the nrl loooooove having subjective interpretations for the refs ~cough~ gambling ~cough~)

But we're told Klein saw that, saw it as an indiscretion, but choose to clear it 'for some reason'.

so what happens to this ref with a 300k per year salary? Stood down, one week, with pay.

Kinda makes you wonder.

It's also interesting that the ref (Butler) told Tamou when he was trying to challenge the offside kick that the bunker had already cleared it and you can't challenge the bunker.

BUT Annesley said that you can challenge anything from when the ref blows the whistle to the previous play the ball.

So which is it?
Can they challenge anything or just challenge things the bunker hasn't cleared?

And if they can't challenge 'bunker cleared' incidents, well there's a whole new can of worms.

Is the bunker clearing incidents faster for one team than another?
Is the bunker spending an appropriate amount of time clearing incidents in the run of play?

And if the bunker are clearing incidents along the way....why can't captains challenge a bunker call anyway?
Annesley says there has been 360 correct captains challenges so far. And the referees that are making those wrong calls are also, at times........ in the bunker!!!!

I think teams would just develop a lefty and a righty kicker
Remember Mike Eden? He kicked with either feet, depending on the side of the field the attempt was from.
When it was from in front of the posts he asked the ref for a coin to flip ......

(that last bit was a fib)

I am waiting for the day when a player is tackled in field and as gets up to play the ball has one foot over the touch line.
In the old days that was allowed, I guess it would matter which team it would affect these days.
That did happen a year or so ago and the lady touch judge made the error of raising her flag. Your understanding of the rule is correct.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4