A positive step for JRL.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I've seen in basically all the ice rinks over here "It's only a game" in the ice next to the logo's.

Still get the occasional fat assed redneck abusing away.

The ref (who is usually a kid anyway) stops the game until he leaves the viewing area.

And yet my wife was nearly arrested for taking a photo of our son receiving a medal at a swimming carnival. Bad girl!

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Parents these days have no respect for anything.

You can't just make a sweeping generalization like that.
Many, if not most parents out there are doing their best and the right thing raising our kids in a complex world.

It is, and always has been, an ugly and vocal few that let society down.

SeaEagleRock8 said:

Fap, fap, fap. Oops. I'm a parent and I just disrespected your post. It's the kids that have no respect these days. Lol. Hey...sweeping statements rock!!!

RiverEagle said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

Yes I can, it was ironic, in homage to all the old-timers who wail about 'the youth of today'.
(Must remember to use an emoticon next time) ;)

RiverEagle said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

Many, if not most parents out there are doing their best and the right thing raising our kids in a complex world.

It is, and always has been, an ugly and vocal few that let society down.

Generally, (and I repeat GENERALLY) some parents are not what I would call very nice when attending kids sports.

I was at my young son's soccer grand-final in the 90's, so that was a long time ago.

We were watching the UNDER 6's. My son was to play in a later games UNDER 8's. So they were very young.

So when the under 6's finished a draw after extra time they went to a penalty shoot out.

I watched as one under 6 went for a shot at goal and missed. The parents of the opposing team cheered and jeered because this one little guy missed a shot at goal.

Some of the comments were ridiculous to say the least. I saw red and I yelled back to little fellow, don't worry son its only a game. You did your best.

Some of the parents of the other team then started up with other unruly comments that I won't publish here.

I then yelled back at the parents - it's only a game. They are under 6's why not show some sportsmanship? Both teams have already won because they are on the field and playing the game.

Some parents took umbrage at what I said about sportsmanship and I invited one bloke who took particular exception to me to come "outside" so we can settle this (not in front of their children) I was expecting him to take me up on it but to my surprise he and a few others backed down.

Maybe they became embarrassed by their own comments and knowing that someone would not cop their crap. Maybe that's all it needs is some people to stand up and say Hey - enough.

While we can't make sweeping statements we can highlight the unsportsmanlike behaviour of some or many who do attend these games.

I understand that they may become excited with their little Jonny winning his first grand-final and in some way it is a payback for the parents continual sacrifice of getting up early on a Saturday and taking them to various sports in the area. I get that.

But what I object to is this; I think most parents want to relive their own glory days through their children (if they ever had any to begin with) and make the under 6 grand final the equivalent of the world cup in their own deluded minds.

So to all you parents out there, just remember little Jonny has already won by even playing the game. He's already a champion because he is on the field. He is already the greatest ball player because he is participating.

Support your son or daughter help in the coaching if you can. Get behind the BBQ and cook the snags. Get your first aid certificate and bandage the injuries. Get yourself on the committee and help out. Get you referee's ticket and run the line or be in the middle.

Do something positive for your kids.

If you do all of these things - you can then bag the others who don't.

To all you little Angels, Devils, Blues, Emus, Demons and whatever your team is called well done for participating and good on you. :D

Absolutely @Daddycool08, I think we've all encountered the ''feral'' or simply overzealous parents and adults at junior sports.

Highlighting and condemning those attitudes, as you have, is definitely the way to go.

Have to say though, most of the time the events I go to or have been to, the vast majority of people are pretty damn good.

Passionate and opinionated at times, certainly.

But the boorish and inappropriate are usually outnumbered, and often rebuked.

Like you say basically, let the kids be kids and enjoy just playing the game. Plenty of time to take it seriously if they wish once older, or actually grown up.

Daddycool08 said:
Some parents took umbrage at what I said about sportsmanship and I invited one bloke who took particular exception to me to come "outside" so we can settle this (not in front of their children) I was expecting him to take me up on it but to my surprise he and a few others backed down.

Maybe they became embarrassed by their own comments and knowing that someone would not cop their crap. Maybe that's all it needs is some people to stand up and say Hey - enough.

More likely you're 6 foot 5 inches tall and built like a brick outhouse!!!!:D

lol

But, though it was a long time ago....well done.

It's not all doom ang gloom.

My 7 year old boy is in his first ever season as a JRL player.

He has scored his first try and he has made his first tackle. He also didn't complain, because he is skinny after all, after getting tackled into the ground by 3 bigger defenders.

He loves Matai and he loves Manly. Can't believe he has turned so quickly into a walking Manly encyclopaedia.

He loves to play. He is comfortable in the environment of our kids and parents. He loves his supportive coach. Lucky for all of us, all of our parents respect their roles and the roles of others. Our motherly manager takes care of all things admin. The coach lets all kids a fair go. The parents let the coach do his job. We pat backs after a loss and praise our kids when they do something magical. All in the right spirit.

Lucky for all of us, the opposing teams parents have all been like minded. Lucky that my son landed into a team defined by fair play with the opportunity continuously improve.

globaleagle said:
Daddycool08 said:

More likely you're 6 foot 5 inches tall and built like a brick outhouse!!!!:D

lol

But, though it was a long time ago....well done.

No mate, I am just 6 foot 3 and about 15 stone and at that time was all muscle. Now it's just all fat (I think.)

The hair's a bit less and a bit greyer. And gravity has lowered my barrel chest to wards my belly.

I don't recall the parents and their sizes a the time but that didn't bother me then. And I suppose it doesn't bother me now.

It was just their comments that really bothered then and now.

Thanks @Isz for that. So true and you do get kids that are discouraged or even quit playing sport.

They don't need the ''grief''.

I imagine football/soccer fans in the UK would be as passionate and vocal as any.

But I simply believe, let the kids be kids and have fun as long as we can.

They grow up fast enough as it is.

Goo to admit i changed how i am at my sons games after reading the article

Whilst I am only ever positive i have pulled back so he can just enjoy himself

Anything that makes the poms be quiet for 90 mins is worth it in my book!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4