A new virus has just been discovered

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST!! A new virus has just been
discovered that has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive
ever. This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee This virus
simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information
for its functioning are stored. This virus acts in the following
manner:It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your list with
the title: 'You've received a Post Card from a Family member'. As soon
as the supposed virtual card is opened the computer freezes so that the
user has to reboot. When the ctrl+alt+ del keys or the reset button are
pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the
hard disk. Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New
York , according to news broadcast by CNN. This alert was received by an
employee of Microsoft itself. So don't open any mails with subject: 'A
Post Card from ...' As soon as you get the mail, delete it !! Even if you
know the sender !!! Please pass this mail to all of your friends.
Forward this to everyone in your address book. I'm sure most people, like
myself, would rather receive this notice 25 times than not at All

Hi all,

A fellow Sea Eagle supporter friend of my mind who's on my facebook page sent me this Virus Warning. So i wanted to share it with yous all as some of you may not be aware of it ? you never can be to careful when it comes to Virus on the net.

Cheers EP

My money says this is the same as every other hoax that does the rounds. I am on numerous computer update forums and I haven't seen this come through.

If it isn't I'll buy you a beer EP! :)

Dan link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=179177.msg207127#msg207127 date=1234765306]
I have a Mac.  Don't have to worry about that.

There are many Mac specific viruses!
[/quote]  I put that there just for you.  ;)

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=179177.msg207361#msg207361 date=1234909058]
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=179177.msg207127#msg207127 date=1234765306]
I have a Mac.  Don't have to worry about that.

There are many Mac specific viruses!
[/quote]  I put that there just for you.  ;)

[/quote]

Now I wouldn't be like that, I may just specifically target your system.

The only reason there are less viruses for mac v windows is because of several reasons and none of them due to a greater security.

The main reason being that Windows was far more popular for far longer, now that Gen X have all jumped on the bandwagon and followed the advertising ploys perfectly, and you all feel like you are keeping in touch with your youth, there will be a signigicant ramp up in viruses "in the wild". Apple however did concentrate on 2 things
1 - Making their functionality different to Windows, and to apparently make it more user friendly, which I think they barely passed on either front
2 - To try and make it more secure, locking out of kernels etc

The pay off for this is functionality and security. In their rush to be on the cutting edge, they have released some pretty awful and buggy OS. But their marketing is so good that the sheep will continue to follow.

When it boils down to it, you use a computer for 3 - 4 main functions

1 - The internet
2 - Email (which could be classed as 1 really)
3 - Word Processing
4 - Spreadsheets.

Some use their computers for more, but really I guess it could be classified as 3 with "Office functions (an MS tool by the way) as the 3rd.

The only other thing I use my PC for is coding, and I could do that on any computer. I fail to see the point in spending thousands on something I use only 1% of its power

theres plenty of gamer nerds out there Dan, I'd have thought that was another major use, but have no facts and figures to back that.

Fro link said:
theres plenty of gamer nerds out there Dan, I'd have thought that was another major use, but have no facts and figures to back that.

Well yeah that is a major use of PC's and games + Mac just simply do not mix, even in the Windows wrappers or Emulators inside Mac.

I was more looking at the major functions as is, which is general office use. I guess games would be in the top 4 easy and obviously you need a PC for 99% of the games out there

I find it highly amusing that you as a Gen Xer will sit and be so blatently taken in by marketing and then spout all this crap that Gen X are so learned blah blah blah

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6