A line in the sand...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Killer03

Bencher
At half time I was thinking this was the line in the sand the team had drawn and would start to show us all that whilst it's been a disjointed start to the season they were in for the fight and whilst they may go down they'll go down swinging, which is what I think we all want to see.

After the game my thoughts have obviously changed. Tonight needs to be the line in the sand where the players, the coaches, the administration everyone involved with the club, all realise that this is just completely unacceptable. I don't know what form this needs to take behind the scenes, but everyone needs to get in the room of mirrors and have a very good look at themselves and what is currently happening.

Unfortunately I had to watch the game out the back in a room that didn't have fox, so I had to listen to channel 9s drivel. But Fittler said one interesting thing at the start, and that was during the warmup all the players wouldn't run to the line, but all touched down before it and he said 'this shows they are cutting corners'. At the time I thought get stuffed Fittler. But is this happening at the club? Do we have the attitude of wanting to work hard? I recall Bennett once talking about how he knew which players would keep going when it got tough as they finished their sprint sessions past the line....the others slowed 3 steps short.

Pick it up guys. I've been willing to give the team time (as I think a lot of us have), but tonight needs to be the turning point.

Not sure I agree with that. Played some good footy in the first half, hit the wall in the second. Missing Lyon, matai, DCE, Lawrence and tapau. Some good signs with the turbos, parcell, lussick, walker, buhrer, suggest to me their is a core group to build the next dynasty around.
Manly had 65% possession in the first half, so their perforated defensive line was not exposed.@:cool:
Then Penriff got possession and basically ran at the gaps on our edges.:cool:

If we do draw a line in the sand, perhaps it will give the forwards some more solid ground to drag their feet out of it.

giphy.gif

Agreed. I just can't agree this is the worst manly team ever. There are some positives there. I honestly think there is a core emerging to build around. Similar to our last rebuild circa 2004 perhaps.
The issue is the lack of basic footy skills.
In the second half we threw forward passes, didn't play the ball, didn't have markets, didn't advance the defensive line and knocked on for good measure :punch:

That's what's so disappointing.
As someone posted, Manly is a lazy team :cool:

Momentum swings are a bane of the modern game. Possession change from one team to another normally around 60% can kill any teams lead. It's mostly referee driven and I love blaming those wankers. Not that sure about today though. I just can't warm to these coaches. They don't belong here. So with that in mind...... Il blame them!

I hope ASADA doesn't hear about the players doing lines of sand at half time. It does explain their second half performance though.

My line in the sand is that I don't feel like watching them at the moment. Too stressful and I'm getting too cynical. I was at the game today and I am numb now.
Including the Panthers game, I always said Manly have to win two out of the next three. So now its 2 out of 2 against the Gold-Coast and Cowboys. Then back to Brookvale for a must win that gets the season re-ignited.
The way I feel now, I think I'll block out the next two games and just watch the highlights when I get home. It's all too stressful watching them right now to be honest. If they pull off the next two, I'll be at Brookvale. If not, screw them.
NYEagle

At half time I was thinking this was the line in the sand the team had drawn and would start to show us all that whilst it's been a disjointed start to the season they were in for the fight and whilst they may go down they'll go down swinging, which is what I think we all want to see.

After the game my thoughts have obviously changed. Tonight needs to be the line in the sand where the players, the coaches, the administration everyone involved with the club, all realise that this is just completely unacceptable. I don't know what form this needs to take behind the scenes, but everyone needs to get in the room of mirrors and have a very good look at themselves and what is currently happening.

Unfortunately I had to watch the game out the back in a room that didn't have fox, so I had to listen to channel 9s drivel. But Fittler said one interesting thing at the start, and that was during the warmup all the players wouldn't run to the line, but all touched down before it and he said 'this shows they are cutting corners'. At the time I thought get stuffed Fittler. But is this happening at the club? Do we have the attitude of wanting to work hard? I recall Bennett once talking about how he knew which players would keep going when it got tough as they finished their sprint sessions past the line....the others slowed 3 steps short.

Pick it up guys. I've been willing to give the team time (as I think a lot of us have), but tonight needs to be the turning point.

Yeah, I remember being fascinated by a story about the great Sir Alex Fergie. He would select his team that week by simply watching them train. He was able to make an assessment of where their heads were at and this is what he based his team selections on. How accurate that is I have no idea, but it stuck in my mind

My line in the sand is that I don't feel like watching them at the moment. Too stressful and I'm getting too cynical. I was at the game today and I am numb now.
Including the Panthers game, I always said Manly have to win two out of the next three. So now its 2 out of 2 against the Gold-Coast and Cowboys. Then back to Brookvale for a must win that gets the season re-ignited.
The way I feel now, I think I'll block out the next two games and just watch the highlights when I get home. It's all too stressful watching them right now to be honest. If they pull off the next two, I'll be at Brookvale. If not, screw them.
NYEagle
I'm kinda right there with you. I'm getting older, perhaps less tolerant of garbage in my life. It's one thing to love and support your team, as I have for decades, but I'm questioning the need to put myself through misery for a team that does not reflect the Manly I loved and respected.

I know the cliches of "bandwagon fans", "sticking with your team through thick and thin", etc... and I've bought into the same beliefs for most my life... However, I don't wanna support a team just because of their colours or past accomplishments. I wanna support my team because it reflects the values that I love and respect. I see very little hardness, mental toughness or sacrifice for your team in this current assembly. I feel for those few who do seem to still understand and strive for those values, but they are a minority

I can't seriously work it out what happened to that simple game plan we put on the warriors in NZ when we smashed them.Why can't we just play like that every game & we were missing dce.

Yeah, I remember being fascinated by a story about the great Sir Alex Fergie. He would select his team that week by simply watching them train. He was able to make an assessment of where their heads were at and this is what he based his team selections on. How accurate that is I have no idea, but it stuck in my mind
I've read similar. And whilst I think fergie is a tool, I think he was a very shrewd customer.

Resurrecting a well worn phrase, It was a game of two halves...

The first half started with Penrith EXPECTING to win. They were complacent, after all they were playing a patched together Manly side. Manly fought!!
The second half was exactly the opposite. Manly EXPECTED to win. They were complacent, after all they were way ahead at the break. Penrith fought!!

What was the difference? Probably the half time talk. Somehow, Barrett put the fire out. Simple!

It's been pretty windy lately so all these lines in the sand keep getting blown away. Surely Trent has some chalk and can find a decent patch of concrete for his next line. Make it something permanent.

Resurrecting a well worn phrase, It was a game of two halves...

The first half started with Penrith EXPECTING to win. They were complacent, after all they were playing a patched together Manly side. Manly fought!!
The second half was exactly the opposite. Manly EXPECTED to win. They were complacent, after all they were way ahead at the break. Penrith fought!!

What was the difference? Probably the half time talk. Somehow, Barrett put the fire out. Simple!

100% right he did put the fire out !

A good coach will light the fire bigger !

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6