95 Grand Final on fox now

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
We lose but its still great watching tooves, Lyons, Kosef, Beaver and the rest

God Kosef could have been anything

And Hoppa and Taufua are so alike

Which hurts most for you guys? Our '95 loss or '97? I will forever be haunted knowing we only won 1 when we should have won all 3.

97 was on this morning. Was watching it on the treadie at the gym. Bad start to the day...

I went to all three, 95/96/97

Never have I watched 95 or 97 after the event(s), although for obvious reasons I have seen the end of 97 26,000 times!!

Its funny I was at 82 /83 as well, and 2007 but none hurt as much as 95/97

Most fans would say 97 hurt more or was more disappointing with the finish to the game and drug revelations the next year. But to me it's 95 for sure. 95 and 96 teams were absolutely dominant and definitely deserved to be premiers.
In 97 we were good enough to be minor premiers again but not as dominant a team as we had lost a few players

AshfieldBazza said:
Most fans would say 97 hurt more or was more disappointing with the finish to the game and drug revelations the next year. But to me it's 95 for sure. 95 and 96 teams were absolutely dominant and definitely deserved to be premiers.
In 97 we were good enough to be minor premiers again but not as dominant a team as we had lost a few players

I tend to agree. '95 felt like we were absolutely dominant, and really shouldn't have lost a team like the Dogs. They had good players, but not many outstanding ones - certainly not like we did.

95 GF was supposed to be the last game before the Superleague split (until that was delayed by the initial court ruling which lead to all Superleague teams boycotting Round 1 in 96) so the thought that we had lost to an inferior dogs outfit and may never get the chance for revenge really cut deep.

I couldn't believe how bad we played. I remember the 7th tackle (I was actually counting at the time) and the forward passes but it felt like we never troubled them - not that I have ever seen a replay.

Unfortunately I believe we are still waiting for any real "revenge" for that game...

Mark from Brisbane said:

Never have I watched 95 or 97 after the event(s), although for obvious reasons I have seen the end of 97 26,000 times!!

Mate 95 was just a travesty. That scum club should never have been there in the first place and certainly didn't deserve to win it on the back of that clown Ward. For me 1983 hurt more than any. That wretched hive of scum Parra giving it to us for a 2nd year in a row when we had towelled them up in the major semi. We were runaway favourites all year and blew it to that bunch of mongs again. Never forget how **** that day was. We won the Americas cup the next day but I couldn't give a flying fk I was that filthy.

mickqld said:
Mark from Brisbane said:

Mate 95 was just a travesty. That scum club should never have been there in the first place and certainly didn't deserve to win it on the back of that clown Ward. For me 1983 hurt more than any. That wretched hive of scum Parra giving it to us for a 2nd year in a row when we had towelled them up in the major semi. We were runaway favourites all year and blew it to that bunch of mongs again. Never forget how ... that day was. We won the Americas cup the next day but I couldn't give a flying fk I was that filthy.

What always bugs me is that Hartley in 78 is still remembered, but some of the crap we have copped in grand finals never gets a mention. We played crap in '95, but Wards refereeing was worse. Biggest ever forward pass, Lamb's professional foul, 7th tackle try all brushed under the carpet. If we had won a GF with at least 3 players on the gear, (O'Davis, McDougall, Richards) it would have gone down as the biggest sporting scandal in history ! Instead it features in the greatest ever GF's highlight reels. Just b*llsh&t !!!!

Loobs said:
97 was on this morning. Was watching it on the treadie at the gym. Bad start to the day...

I agree with you. No one should ever go to the gym in the morning!

95 was a young team mostly. Cliffy put Beaver through a hole early that would have been a long break or even a try until Lamb who was never onside just tackled Beaver cold. He got 10 in the bin but the damage was soon done by Price getting a try from a forward pass. The Manly players just couldn't get their groove going after that.

But some of the 95 team's wins are the best performances Manly teams have ever played.

I lived in Moree those days, and a Moree boy playing for the Bulldogs (Matthew Ryan) scored that try off the 7th tackle.

Its funny, after he retired he came back and played a year with the Moree Boars, and helped them win a Group 5 Grand Final. I used to go to the footy often so I thought bugger it I'm going to ask him if he knew it was the 7th.

He did, he said they looked up and Ward was waving for the last tackle so they went again (and scored). He laughed and said "you play the good with the bad in Rugby League".

Fkn Eddie Ward. I'll never get over '95. Much worse than '97 in my book because it was a full comp ( no super league) and we were THE best team that year by a mile. That is the worst I have ever felt after a grand final loss.

My memory from that game is frigging Eddie Ward who ensured we were never going to win that game and basically was a 95 version of Hayne.

97 all came down to cliffy missing a field goal with 8 to go which wins the game and then snatched from us at the death and the brutality of Harrogan and MacDougall that went unpunished that day

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4