8/8/2014

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Why did you put that up, I don’t get the significance.
We’ve been also rans ever since. We had a good year in 2014 and were leading the comp for a large stretch of the year. The wheels fell off at the back end and we went out in straight sets. Since then, the best we’ve been able to muster is a fourth place finish, of which we squandered with big losses in the finals.

2014 was the last time opposition supporters shook in their boots at the prospect of playing Manly.

I still think about that game several times a season as a Manly fan. That game marked the end of the 2007-2014 era of dominance Manly had on the competition. The era of the Stewart’s, Matau, Lyon, Watmough showed the first signs of coming to an end. Until that night we were on top of the table and seemingly indestructible.

It was that night at the SCG that a cat named Isaac Luke took out Matai with a dirty high shot for the game yet stayed in the field. We scored via Stewart in the same set of 6 after the penalty but never recovered emotionally and were steamrolled by Inglis and Burgess.

After than game we barely won again the rest of the season and lost the unlosable minor premiership. Bundled out in straight sets in the finals, and then all the rumblings of rifts between the Stewart’s and Watmought with DCE, and between each other saw the massive exodus from 2015 and tumble down the ladder. We have spent the last 8 years buying a lot of shifty also ran players and hiring a proven ****ty coach and only last year did we finally get a top 4 squad but even now we don’t have a squad that comes anywhere near the talent we had from 2007-2014, and we are no way near the top of it.

That game and the hit on Matai was the exact turning point.

It’s why I will always hate those wretched bunnies, and the previous NRL administration who were desparate to steal Manlys licence.

NYEagle

Last edited:
Semi-final loss to the Dogs on September 20 was the day for me when I knew that we had just seen the end of an era.

After finishing 2nd, losing to the 7th place Dogs was painful but you knew it was coming after the events leading up to that game. Injuries had played a large part but you knew that the strong bond that had been formed at the club over the previous decade was lost due to other issues like high profile contract negotiations.

Had a terrible run with injuries the past 6 or 7 years as well . Nearly good enough to progress to a G F in 2019 without Turbo and close again last season albeit with a full strength side . Semi finalist in 2017 . Need everything going Manly "s way with 3 players taking up virtually a 3 rd of the cap and modest T P A " s in the mix . Just an exceptional playing group and circumstances up until 2014 or so and just so hard to replicate . Think that the make up of the side in recent seasons generally allows for really good competitiveness , just that really disadvantageous injury toll . Look at the top 3 or 4 sides in the comp to date , very little injury issues and able to gel and compete so much better and just as an unfortunate reality for the sides like Manly who have experienced some serious injury issues . .

I still think about that game several times a season as a Manly fan. That game marked the end of the 2007-2014 era of dominance Manly had in the competition. The era of the Stewart’s, Matau, Lyon, Watmough showed the first signs of coming to an end. Until thy night we were of top of the table and seemingly indestructible.

It was that night at the SCG that a cat named Isaac Luke took out Matai with a dirty high shot for the game yet stayed in the field. We scored via Stewart in the same set of 6 after the pamalty but never recovered emotionally and were steamrolled by Inglis and Burgess.

After than game we barely won again the rest of the season and lost the unlosable minor premiership. Bundled out in straight sets in the finals, and then all the rumblings of rifts between the Stewart’s and Watmought with DCE, and between each other saw the massive exodus from 2015 and tumble down the ladder. We have spent the last 8 years buying a lot of shifty also ran players and hiring a proven ****ty coach and only last year did we finally get a top 4 squad but even now we don’t have a squad that comes anywhere near the talent we had from 2007-2014, and we are no way near the top of it.

That game and the hit on Matai was the exact turning point.

It’s why I will always hate those wretched bunnies, and the previous NRL administration who were desparate to steal Manlys licence.

NYEagle
2014 GF, forward passes galore, all let go, the fix was in. 2011 GF win seems a long time ago now, but thank god we got that one.

Also it lead to an interesting point for Tooves and coaching

I always wonder what could have happened if the squad was regenerated under him (if he could do it ec)

Nothing has changed. Vermin getting away with chicken wings, high shots and forward passes while we get pulled up for a nothing crusher tackle. Fuk I hate those vermin c***s.

2014 also was the year the Penns took over full ownership of the club.
They wouldn't have done something stupid not long after would they, like putting all their salary cap eggs in one basket for a very long time ??

Nice reliable basket, big egg, but no premiership since.

They wouldn't have done something stupid not long after would they, like putting all their salary cap eggs in one basket for a very long time ??

Nice reliable basket, big egg, but no premiership since.
Yep, we hitched our wagon full of eggs to the DCE train and it's been a downhill slope ever since.

2013 and 2014 were cruel years for us.

If we had of taken penalties goals against the Roosters in week 1 of the finals in 2013 then I think we could have won that game and put them through a gruelling finals series instead of having to do it ourselves. Aside from a grubber behind our defensive line, they couldn’t get through us that game and they were quite happy to give away many penalties to re-set their own defensive line.

In 2014 we were all set for the minor premiership before losing Ballin and then a very handy backup to Ballin in Buhrer during the finals rounds. We then had to try and go through the finals with Jayden Hodges at hooker.

Also it lead to an interesting point for Tooves and coaching

I always wonder what could have happened if the squad was regenerated under him (if he could do it ec)

Tooves is a great coach and anyone who thinks otherwise can get ****ed.

He was part of the dream team that took us from the dead to win 40-0 in 2008 and beat the Warriors in 2011. Des hasn’t replicated the success he had when Tooves was in his stable.

Also Tooves is much better than Kevin farkin Walters

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4