67th Year - Manly All Time Best

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If we win another one before 70 then there will be a few players with 3 premierships and 4 grand finals for us who would be pushing for that list.

Such as Lyon, Choc, Matai, King, Stewy and Gift.

If BK is getting on there for 2 years and teaching/leading then Lyon will make the list as Captain/leader/winner of 2 premierships.

Big call but Foz has the potential to give cliffy a run for his money before his career finishes.

What about a team of Exiles that are Manly players....

1. Mathew Ridge (NZ)
2. Kevin Iro (NZ)
3. Craig Innes (NZ)
4. Steve Matai (NZ)
5. Darrell Williams (NZ)
6. Kieron Foran (NZ)
7. Gary Stephens (Eng)
8. Kevin Ward (Eng)
9. John Gray (Eng)
10. Jared Wearea-Hargreaves (NZ)
11. Phil Lowe (Eng)
12. Tony Iro (NZ)
13. Mal Reilly (Eng)

I wouldn't have either Iro brother in any "best ever" Manly side.

What about John Devereaux on the wing for Kevin and Steve Norton in backrow for Tony.

Chip and Chase said:
I wouldn't have either Iro brother in any "best ever" Manly side.

What about John Devereaux on the wing for Kevin and Steve Norton in backrow for Tony.

Or Michael Robertson (Scotland).

I think you're right JEthro, and Vautins early take on the Brett affair would rule him out for mine. Loyalty is all imo.

With so many great players, you're never going to get a definitive list. It's they same old...you can't compare players of different eras etc but it's 100% right.

The 10 metre rule has been the biggest change and can you imagine anyone doing what guys like Noel Kelly used to do ? He'd be suspended for 80% of the season.

The only players that can't be denied inclusion would be Irvine, Fulton and Menzies.

I'd include Eadie, Lyon, Lyons, Mossop and Randall.

Rambo1987 said:
What about a team of Exiles that are Manly players....

1. Mathew Ridge (NZ)
2. Kevin Iro (NZ)
3. Craig Innes (NZ)
4. Steve Matai (NZ)
5. Darrell Williams (NZ)
6. Kieron Foran (NZ)
7. Gary Stephens (Eng)
8. Kevin Ward (Eng)
9. John Gray (Eng)
10. Jared Wearea-Hargreaves (NZ)
11. Phil Lowe (Eng)
12. Tony Iro (NZ)
13. Mal Reilly (Eng)

Very interesting take.

- Steve Norton. Where's Knocker?

- I remember Tony "Chief" Iro was good in the wing for Manly, before moving to 2nd row. There was a game for us (maybe 1990?), when he literally carried 3 Parramatta players on his back as he charged towards their line. He was almost unstoppable.

- Kevin "The Beast" Iro had a massive write up before he came from Wigan. He was going to be so and so... but he fizzled out. Big and slow.

- Joe Ropati - Maybe on the wing in place of the Beast?

- Marty Gurr - Maybe even Marty on the Wing?

- David Myers - Another Winger?

- Wearea-Hargreaves... hmmm. Not a fan, sorry. Blows his top for the wrong reasons too often and seemed like a liability than an asset.

- Where's Mark Broadhurst? Pretty boy certainly can replace JWH.

- Craig Innes. What a player. Postie reckons he always wanted to play for Manly, as he's a Manly fan before he came to us. That fend he did on Matt Sing... brilliant. He can kick goals too.

-- Others:
John Devereux (loved the fact that he took revenge on Renouf by running over him instead of around), Danny Lima, James Leuluai, Kylie Leuluai,
Adrian Shelford (RIP.)

What about a team of ex Roosters that have played with Manly and visa versa.

1. Marty Gurr
2. Ian Shubert
3. Noel Cleal
4. Terry Hill
5. Kerry Boustead
6. Andrew Walker
7. Johhny Mayes
8. George Rose
9. Heath L'Estrange
10. Richie Fa'aoso
11. Paul McCabe
12. Ronny Gibbs
13.Tommy Symonds

14 Glen Hall
15 Ian Barkley
16 Luke Phillips
17 Graham Mackay

Players from Manly to Roosters
1.Dale Shearer
2 Jack Elsegood
3 Ivan Cleary
4 Tony iro
5 Russell Gartner
6 Bob Fulton
7 Mike Eden
8 Jared Warea Hargreaves
9 Paul Vautin
10 John Harvey
11 Mark O'Mealey
12 Lama Tasi
13 Steve Crouch

mickqld said:
What about a team of ex Roosters that have played with Manly and visa versa.

1. Marty Gurr
2. Ian Shubert
3. Noel Cleal
4. Terry Hill
5. Kerry Boustead
6. Andrew Walker
7. Johhny Mayes
8. George Rose
9. Heath L'Estrange
10. Richie Fa'aoso
11. Paul McCabe
12. Ronny Gibbs
13.Tommy Symonds

14 Glen Hall
15 Ian Barkley
16 Luke Phillips
17 Graham Mackay

Players from Manly to Roosters
1.Dale Shearer
2 Jack Elsegood
3 Ivan Cleary
4 Tony iro
5 Russell Gartner
6 Bob Fulton
7 Mike Eden
8 Jared Warea Hargreaves
9 Paul Vautin
10 John Harvey
11 Mark O'Mealey
12 Lama Tasi
13 Steve Crouch

Luke Phillips is in the wrong team.

Mal Cochrane said:
i do appreciate what Kennedy bought to the club in our time of need, but to put him ahead of players who had long careers at manly & played for state and country doesn't sit well with me. What was it, 2 years at manly?

Isn't the title "Manly All Time Best"?

Not longest serving, GF winners, most games, personal faves etc?

So what's the criteria?

I see your point but....

I don't think there's too many more players that have played as well as he has whilst continually busted - although Choc is having a serious tilt at the title.

Didn't he come down from the North Coast to attend Joeys and play Rah-Rah for Manly for a few years before going to the Raiders?

This team is ridiculous. It selects players OUT OF POSITION

1. G. Eadie. * (Snake or Wombat, very tough question - however, the Wombat played in 6 GF for Manly. Awesome defender too).
2. K. Irvine.
3. J. Lyon.
4. R. Fulton. *

5. R. Branighan. (Snoz was the other contender).

Neither of these two played wing. They both regularly played Centre for Manly. Ok Snoz played wing for the Kangaroos. But we are talking club football.

U cant let yourselves 'off the hook' cause Manly have had a plethora of good centres, and a perceived lack of great wingers. And this perception is rubbish.
Apart from Irvine, there's been Tom Mooney (mentioned by no one), Kerry Boustead, Max Brown, and Michael Robertson. We've also had Steven Knight, Dale Shearer.

Branigan does NOT deserve this placement. He was injured all the time, was not a great goal kicker, played along side Fulton. Was as slow as a wet weekend.

Ramrod said:
- Marty Gurr - Maybe even Marty on the Wing?

How does Marty Gurr get a start in the Manly best foreigners side ?? He was Australina born and bred was he not ??

EagleFromMay1967 said:
This team is ridiculous. It selects players OUT OF POSITION

1. G. Eadie. * (Snake or Wombat, very tough question - however, the Wombat played in 6 GF for Manly. Awesome defender too).
2. K. Irvine.
3. J. Lyon.
4. R. Fulton. *

5. R. Branighan. (Snoz was the other contender).

Neither of these two played wing. They both regularly played Centre for Manly. Ok Snoz played wing for the Kangaroos. But we are talking club football.

U cant let yourselves 'off the hook' cause Manly have had a plethora of good centres, and a perceived lack of great wingers. And this perception is rubbish.
Apart from Irvine, there's been Tom Mooney (mentioned by no one), Kerry Boustead, Max Brown, and Michael Robertson. We've also had Steven Knight, Dale Shearer.

Branigan does NOT deserve this placement. He was injured all the time, was not a great goal kicker, played along side Fulton. Was as slow as a wet weekend.

I completely agree with you EagleFromMay. I saw a lot of games Branigan played for Manly and he was very average.

Memories of watching Phil Blake, big bad Boyd, Rambo Gibbs & Snoz O'conner back in the day.
Also had a huge opinion of Kevin Ward who only played in short stints - but was as good as ANY front rower ever imo.
These days Snake Stewart is prob my fave all round player with his safety & defensive quality at the back often overlooked because of his freakish attacking ability. Good as Eadie?? - from what I remember Wombat was a champion but I would choose Stewart at number 1.
Current team there is a few who would challenge for a spot of Manlys finest in any era with both Stewarts, Lyon & Watmough the best imo.

I've been watching Manly for more than 50 years, and for what it's worth:
* Branagan isn't worthy of a place in the team
* Lyon is worthy of one centre place in the top 13. Choc would be a reserve.
* As great as Brett and Glen are I can't see them making the top 17. No disrespect, it's just that there are even better players in their positions.

I agree with other posters.

The 2006 team should remain with just two exceptions. Jamie Lyon to replace Ray Branighan and Anthony Watmough to replace Ben Kennedy.

I had no qualms whatsoever when he was included in the 2006 team as he busted his guts off for two years and helped change a culture within the club... if he re-signed for 1 more season like many were calling for perhaps I can leave him in the team, but Choc also deserves to be there.

As for the foreigners team, here is my take:

1. Mathew Ridge (NZ)
2. Michael Robertson (Sco)
3. Craig Innes (NZ)
4. Steve Matai (NZ)
5. Darrell Williams (NZ)
6. Kieran Foran (NZ)
7. Gary Stephens (Eng)
8. Kevin Ward (Eng)
9. John Gray (Eng)
10. Mark Broadhurst (NZ)
11. Phil Lowe (Eng)
12. Tony Iro (NZ)
13. Mal Reilly (Eng)

14. Kylie Leuluai (NZ
15. Solomon Haumono
16. Adrian Shelford (NZ)
17. Kevin Iro (NZ) / David Myers (Eng)

Chip and Chase said:
Dream Team named in 2006 as follows

Graham Eadie Brett Stewart
Ken Irvine
Ray Branighan Jamie lyon
Bob Fulton
Michael O'Connor
Wally O'Connell
Geoff Toovey

Roy Bull
Max Krilich
John O'Neill
Steve Menzies
Terry Randall
Malcolm Reilly

Des Hasler Glenn Stewart
Ben Kennedy Anthony Watmough
Cliff Lyons
Paul Vautin

Frank Stanton (coach)

Who since 2006 deserves a spot ?? I'd say Killer for Branighan for sure. Gifty for Vautin as well. I'd also concede Choc for Kennedy if someone argued hard enough. Does Des get the coach spot ?? Who knows what will happen over the next 3 years. DCE and Foz might play themselves into jerseys.

Can't see Des making the coach spot or the bench. If Brett Stewart isn't good enough to un seat Wombat i can't see Glenn Stewart getting the nod. Ben Kennedy should probably be replaced with his prototype Anthony Watmough.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2