6 again stats

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Even though it does seem obvious can I please have a clarification of this rule.

Does the practical application read like this.....

If you receive a six again on the 1st tackle it means you end up with a set of 7 tackles all up (1 + 6)?

If you receive a six again on the 4th tackle it means you end up with a set of 10 tackles all up (4 + 6)?

and

If you receive a six again on the 5th tackle and then another six again on the following 4th tackle you end up with a set of 15 tackles (5 + 4 + 6)?

I ask because

1) in case there are those under what I believe is the wrong impression that you finish your first set before the six again applies. (which actually may be a much fairer application of such a rule).

and

2) I got flamed for suggesting a more useful stat was total number of tackles received from six agains rather than just the total number of six agains.

Thanks.

You're spot on there @Little Grubber Kick & @Manly Tragic, I mentioned something similar on another thread.

The "same" infringement can have different influences on the game due to where and when they happen
ie 1st tackle or 4th tackle
Getting it on the 4th tackle when you're in the oppositions 20m is way more beneficial than getting it from a 1st tackle kick return in your 20m.
Whether you're leading by 10 or down by 2, so many variables.

The momentum generated early generally dictates the flow of the game, another interesting and telling stat would be how many in the first 20mins as opposed to the last 20mins.
We were blasted off the park in that first 20mins and they may have evened up by games end but then it's too late. One team is playing catch up and the other is prepared to concede them early in the count to get their line set.

I don't know what the answer is, in essence the idea is good but as usual whenever there's a new rule tweak, the coaches don't take long to work it out.

I only watch Manly games these days and get the feeling we always lose the “6 again” count and most often in the first half when early dominance is measured and rewarded. Am I right? It‘s such an advantage to get 6 again and I’m often left wondering why we are penalised. Am I one-eyed?

stats tell a lie we get bullshi* six again on tackle 1 in our 20 other teams getting it on 4 and 5 tackle in attack rule just make it easier for refs to cheat

he is always on the ball so maybe that's why
No that's not the reason buddy... he has his hands on the tackled player for far too long EVERY time he is 1st marker. Most of the time he isn't affecting the play-the-ball with it, it just LOOKS bad, so the refs ping him. I cringe every time he is 1st marker, expecting 6 again. He needs to be at 2nd marker or retreating. All the little things add up big.

he is always on the ball so maybe thats why
No that's not the reason buddy... he has his hands on the tackled player for far too long EVERY time he is 1st marker. Most of the time he isn't affecting the play-the-ball with it, it just LOOKS bad, so the refs ping him. I cringe every time he is 1st marker, expecting 6 again. He needs to be at 2nd marker or retreating. All the little things add up big.
Quite often Jake makes one on one tackles. He gets no advantage. Ref just yells at him to get off then calls six again. Yet other tackles have 4 in the tackle and take 5 secs to peel off - no 6 again. Should be a call of one on one and player is given more time similar to the surrender call.
Having said that Jake needs to know that having his hands anywhere near the ball will lead to a call.
Whilst the rule has cleaned up the ruck it has added another way that refs can disadvantage us with little complaint.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it's not so much that he has his hands near the ball @rosco, he always has his hands on the player until forever. Watch him. As I said before: he isn't slowing it down, probably not even trying to, it just looks bad to refs. Probably done it his whole life but needs to stop doing it.

Had to take to darling clubs to play each other for this to get some print.
We'll there's a simple solution. These idiot referees need to stop trying to turn the game into touch football and stop blowing these subjective indiscriminate 6 again penalties. Unfortunately common sense is the last resort in the nrl.

The numbers always seem to even up by games end ( anyone surprised at that ???) BUT stats don’t tell the complete story.

What I’ve noticed ( and recorded for 2-3 games ) is the following.

**We get caned early , and often strings of them, when our opposition is attacking us.

**We always get evened up but more than often it’s not when we are attacking an oppositions line.

**We almost always get our penalties at the start of a set , 1st tackle or second , whereas our opposition gets them late in tackle counts.

In my opinion , whilst liking the idea of the penalty to stop sides from slowing down the game , it’s just another way for a ref to stamp his authority on a game and with little to no accountability for doing so.

Yep, summed that up nicely.

Although we deserved to lose against the Panthers, the number of repeats sets in the first 20 mins set them up for the win. We had no chance of recovering.

I can recommend going into the nrl app. Go to the draw click on the game, click play by play, click all plays. This shows you the why coaches and fans are claiming game management.

Look at last week. Chez bundled into touch like an under 6 off the kick off.

2nd min - nz 6 resart from memory 4th tackle
3rd min - nz 6 restart from memory 3rd tackle
3rd min penalty - chez offside from memory 4th tackle
4th minute warriors try

7th minute - jorge holding down penalty
9th min - set restart to us first tacklr
10th min - set restart holding down jake
11th min - try warriors

Think we all see the pattern

Also we for the first time in the history of rugby league have conceded the least penalties in the comp at 49. But guess what no one seems to be keeping set restart stats anymore. And i have no doubt we are near the top of that tree for conceding them.

I can recommend going into the nrl app. Go to the draw click on the game, click play by play, click all plays. This shows you the why coaches and fans are claiming game management.

Look at last week. Chez bundled into touch like an under 6 off the kick off.

2nd min - nz 6 resart from memory 4th tackle
3rd min - nz 6 restart from memory 3rd tackle
3rd min penalty - chez offside from memory 4th tackle
4th minute warriors try

7th minute - jorge holding down penalty
9th min - set restart to us first tacklr
10th min - set restart holding down jake
11th min - try warriors

Think we all see the pattern
I started down this path too and the pattern was there to see, seeing how you posted this I've gone back to finish it.....

and it only got worse though from a 'game management' perspective

A third try to the Warriors, this time from Manly errors and they are comfortably in front......16-0
then
20:57 Set Restart to Manly
21:44 Try Manly

27:44 Set Restart Manly
28:55 Try Manly
and the game is all made closer again at halftime

44:00 Set Restart Warriors
45:25 Try Warriors

56:05 Set Restart Manly
56:40 Try Manly
so into the last quarter and Manly just out of reach.......

and the clincher, players tiring (more like to infringe?), clock ticking down but Warriors safely ahead............and AMAZINGLY NOT a SINGLE freakin' Set Restart in the last 23 minutes.....

so a nicely managed grandstand finish where Manly then self destructed with errors....

Last edited:
Maybe a "null tackle" rule would be better?

Whereby if there is a minor infringement that tackle simply does count towards that set of 6?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8