3 YEARS OF INJURIES, SUSPENSIONS AND DUD REFS

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I 100% agree. Sick of reading articles saying “where Manly would be with better refereeing” or in the off season reading about how Manly could have a red hot crack if they stay injury free. In my opinion one of two things need to happen:
1. Manly need to either buy an outside back who will be a genuinely good fullback (or use this time to develop Garrick/Hoppa); or
2. Consider pushing Tom to centre/five eighth.
We can’t do much about the refs but there are roster changes that could be made to ensure that there isn’t such a huge difference between us with and without Tom at FB. Whether that means moving him to a different position where there is less work load to reduce his injuries, or brining in a more versatile outside back who can cover FB well (like Hiku back in the day). Reffing aside, we win that game yesterday if Turbo is on the pitch. Des and the execs can’t keep being so optimistic each off season that Turbo is going to go injury free. We need genuine contingencies.

Maybe not the magic million Moops but they still have plenty on fair coin.

Moses = 800K
Brown and Paulo = 700K each
Gutho wanted 750 if my memory's any good.
RCG would be on good money too.

My point was, we haven't even been able to add anything but no names since Walker.

If those Parra numbers are accurate, it still means they would have much more money to spend on more accomplished lower tier players. That is a $500,000 difference just with Moses and DCE. Then there's Tom and Jake. Too much money is tied up in just 3 players. Not complaining, just saying it will be hard for us to put a premiership winning/balanced team together.

What’s really annoying is one player in tom t gets injured & we’re virtually finished for the season.Yet moses for parra being out hasn’t affected them at all.

We had a salary cap spread a lot more evenly when we last won a premiership (though we ran into problems later). We also had a young halves combination playing well above their pay grade too (DCE was on $80k for 2011 I believe).

We will need some serious over-performers on minimum coin if we are going to be contenders again.

That 28-0 defeat was actually 2010. That team put up a brave fight for 60 minutes and were then overwhelmed.
The 2014 game was against the dogs. We lost gifty, Ballen, choc, foran and think another forward. It was a thriller down early by 3 tries to nil, came back and took the game into extra time. We lost by 1 but again when DCE went for a shot Bulldogs were wayyyy off side and should of been a penalty in front

What’s really annoying is one player in tom t gets injured & we’re virtually finished for the season.Yet moses for parra being out hasn’t affected them at all.
Well they scraped home against Canberra and played the cowboys that honestly had the worst defence that night, it was horrible. Tom is more to Manly, only win 40% of games when he is out, similar stat to when snake was out. Tom has also coming up with try savers we have missed

It's been tough at times but with Des back I'm know he can get the best out of this group and by adding his key signings to compliment the team. My only concern is the amount of money DCE and Turbo are on with one making bad decisions and not playing consistently enough and the other not playing enough games for what his payed which keeps us from signing very good players.

We had a salary cap spread a lot more evenly when we last won a premiership (though we ran into problems later). We also had a young halves combination playing well above their pay grade too (DCE was on $80k for 2011 I believe).

We will need some serious over-performers on minimum coin if we are going to be contenders again.
Have a look at the Melbourne and roosters sides over the past few years and tell me it's not because they have bought premierships making the most of the 3rd party deals etc.

Roosters side last year was ridiculous! And before that Melbourne as well!

Maybe not the magic million Moops but they still have plenty on fair coin.

Moses = 800K
Brown and Paulo = 700K each
Gutho wanted 750 if my memory's any good.
RCG would be on good money too.

My point was, we haven't even been able to add anything but no names since Walker.
All the top sides have a few players on 1 million or close to it.

Last year's Roosters side was laughable

Cronk 1 million
Teddy 1 million
Keary 700-800k
Cordner 800k
Mitchell ? Don't know but would be up there

And then the rest of the pack and outside backs - all rep players!

Melbourne year before had
Smith 1 million
Slater 1 million
Munster ? Probably less than his recent upgrade
Their international forward pack and rep outside backs would be all on good coin - but they had nearly 1 million extra in tpas

The 2014 game was against the dogs. We lost gifty, Ballen, choc, foran and think another forward. It was a thriller down early by 3 tries to nil, came back and took the game into extra time. We lost by 1 but again when DCE went for a shot Bulldogs were wayyyy off side and should of been a penalty in front
That was one of the toughest defeats to cop, we came back from 16-0 down and were unlucky when Reynolds kicked the ball into the ref and they got an extra set of six which allowed them to kick a field goal. The Reynolds off side to this day haunts us as he was 5 metres off and they did nothing about it. kick in front of the sticks to win the game, no justice what so ever that night.

That was one of the toughest defeats to cop, we came back from 16-0 down and were unlucky when Reynolds kicked the ball into the ref and they got an extra set of six which allowed them to kick a field goal. The Reynolds off side to this day haunts us as he was 5 metres off and they did nothing about it. kick in front of the sticks to win the game, no justice what so ever that night.
I know that hurt. Another rough call, seems to happen a lot.

Question: can the captains challenge be used to challenge off sides ?

What about 1995 GF. 2 losses all year, unbackable favourites and they let a try go that was 2 metres forward to start then a try on the 7th tackle WTF!

All the top sides have a few players on 1 million or close to it.

Last year's Roosters side was laughable

Cronk 1 million
Teddy 1 million
Keary 700-800k
Cordner 800k
Mitchell ? Don't know but would be up there

And then the rest of the pack and outside backs - all rep players!

Melbourne year before had
Smith 1 million
Slater 1 million
Munster ? Probably less than his recent upgrade
Their international forward pack and rep outside backs would be all on good coin - but they had nearly 1 million extra in tpas

We would be contending as well, but it comes down to those highly paid players playing consistently good football, as well as being on the field for 20+ games year. When Cronk, Slater and Smith were young, they hit this 20+ mark. If you are going to gamble on just three highly paid players, you need a lot to go right. If we had just one good year with our star players, we would be in the hunt. Smith is 35 and still doesn't miss games.

It is very funny that Tedesco and Gutherson could never get on the field for the Tigers and Manly, but go to another club and all their injury issues disappear. I wonder how Tom would go at the Storm and how many games he would miss?

Last edited:
What about 1995 GF. 2 losses all year, unbackable favourites and they let a try go that was 2 metres forward to start then a try on the 7th tackle WTF!

Many people I know did predict the 1995 grand final result. The Dogs beat St George, Brisbane and Canberra on the way to the grand final. That was a tough run. Ours was softer. The Dogs were primed.

1997 was the one that got away and still pisses me off!

Last edited:
Manly people I know did predict the 1995 grand final result. The Dogs beat St George, Brisbane and Canberra on the way to the grand final. That was a tough run. Ours was softer. The Dogs were primed.

1997 was the one that got away and still pisses me off!
I know. That was the first time Newcastle had beaten us in 10 attempts, plus two weeks before we had smashed them by 30!!

3 minor premierships in a row. Good memories

The likes of Glen Hall, Shane Rodney, Michael Robertson and David Williams are hard to come by. Lower tier players who over-achieved for us!

Plus end of the day your team needs a bit of luck. Luck with injuries and also refs. Only have to go back to last year's GF. Raiders got a tough break in the first half when ref got in the way when Whitehead was about to run away and score a try. Roosters instead get 6 more and then score off that set. Second half Raiders were dominating and again a 6 to go call given, then changed to a hand over. Next set roosters score.

Agree with most but also need to be accountable for some of the dumb things admin and the players have done. Let Green go even though Pearce wasn't signed sealed delivered. Fainu stabbing, Walker hand through door, Walker domestic violence , Walker punch-on with Curtis Scott, lazy tackles Tapau, Fonua-Blake "f'ing retard" call. Agree the team has been on the borderline of some great things, but to be honest we haven't helped ourselves over the last couple of years.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2