2020 Rules effect on Manly ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
* I think the 20/40 rule will work for Manly as good as any, as DCE is a great exponent of the 40/20, so yes a win for Manly and any team with a quality kicking game....I feel Souths will benefit here most with the boot of Adam Reynolds.

* The "Mutual infringement" is a common sense change that will benefit ALL teams.

* The Attacking scrum choice could be good for any team with speed, or centre's who can get a genuine 1 on 1 situation and beat there man....I think Suli, Turbo and also Walker will get a few extra opportunities here and is a beneficial rule to Manly.

*The tackle on attacking players off the bomb has a double edged sword for Manly, with Taufua certain to cop a heap of pressure, but the flip side, Manly who have not used Turbo as much as we should, who can leap with the best and exploit this rule.
I think there will be far more defensive teams now taking the option of striking at the ball to "Spoil the play" (if the opposition has the jump and they can't compete the catch), rather than allow the attacker a clean catch, which will be tough to defend now a tackle can't be made....This rule has it's good and bad for Manly....

Whats the thoughts - good and bad of these Rules from a Manly perspective for 2020.

This rule about not attacking the player in the air really will bring wingers right into the game. Will be plenty tries scored from cross field bombs to any athletic winger. In Jorges case I see the best way for him to combat this is to wait until the winger hits the ground and just wrap the ball up.
I might be way off But will be interesting to see how teams defend this.

How ****ing stupid is it in a contact sport where defense is an instrumental part of success .... that at the very point it becomes most critical ... the try line .... that we will now require a defender to stand-by with his hands in his pockets ... and watch an attacker catch the ball and score uncontested ..... the world is ****ing mad ....

Tackling a player in mid air
I think I need a clear explanation of this 'tackle in the air rule'. Is it just for kick challenges in the air or:
1) Can an attacking player run toward the defensive line and just before impact, the attacking player jumps in the air and is then tackled before their feet hit the ground ... penalty
2) An attacking player jumps to catch a high pass and is tackled before their feet hit the ground... penalty

Do these also constitute a penalty?

Logic says it's just with kicks, but I can't see any clear clarification. Anyway, I thought this was always the case with kicks as it certainly is with RU.

Trainer time on the field
I love this restriction. We abused it quite a bit when Tooves was Des' assistant, helping to set the defensive line, but I just hate seeing trainers out there all the time and it reminds me of 6yo or 7yo games when kids are still learning. GET THEM OFF THE FIELD. Water bottles during stoppages is fine, but other than that, they shouldn't be allowed on the field unless to attend to an injury.

Captains Challenge
Yep, fine, it worked quite well in Toyota Cup a few years ago. Refs are only human and they can miss things that others may see.
I'm not sure if this is correct but I heard that in the majority of Captain challenges in the Toyota Cup, the refs were right. As long as they stop the clock it will be fine but, a smart Captain with a team under pressure may challenge to stall play. Mind you, I don't like constant halts in play for reviews and if the Bunker is going to review, they are taking over a minute to do so.

Mutual infringement
A logical change and probably the best of all changes. The old rule was dumb.

Scrum rule
I like it and coaches and captains will be have to be very quickly attuned to set plays. I think it will add to more tries for teams with fast and strong outside backs and defensive teams will have to be quick to adjust.

20:40 kick
Yep, fine. It just means more attacking space for a team in its defensive area as wingers will have to drop back to defend it and it will open up attacking opportunities from within 20m.

The trial of 6 players in the scrum
Given that scrums are now BS and it really should just be a tap kick the fact that 6 players of 13 are required to bind (and I use that term loosely) which opens up the play area for the backs. Naturally this would only happen if a player has been sin-binned or sent-off and the other team should have some form of advantage

Anyway, my thoughts

Tackling a player in mid air
I think I need a clear explanation of this 'tackle in the air rule'. Is it just for kick challenges in the air or:
1) Can an attacking player run toward the defensive line and just before impact, the attacking player jumps in the air and is then tackled before their feet hit the ground ... penalty
2) An attacking player jumps to catch a high pass and is tackled before their feet hit the ground... penalty

Do these also constitute a penalty?

Logic says it's just with kicks, but I can't see any clear clarification. Anyway, I thought this was always the case with kicks as it certainly is with RU.

Trainer time on the field
I love this restriction. We abused it quite a bit when Tooves was Des' assistant, helping to set the defensive line, but I just hate seeing trainers out there all the time and it reminds me of 6yo or 7yo games when kids are still learning. GET THEM OFF THE FIELD. Water bottles during stoppages is fine, but other than that, they shouldn't be allowed on the field unless to attend to an injury.

Captains Challenge
Yep, fine, it worked quite well in Toyota Cup a few years ago. Refs are only human and they can miss things that others may see.
I'm not sure if this is correct but I heard that in the majority of Captain challenges in the Toyota Cup, the refs were right. As long as they stop the clock it will be fine but, a smart Captain with a team under pressure may challenge to stall play. Mind you, I don't like constant halts in play for reviews and if the Bunker is going to review, they are taking over a minute to do so.

Mutual infringement
A logical change and probably the best of all changes. The old rule was dumb.

Scrum rule
I like it and coaches and captains will be have to be very quickly attuned to set plays. I think it will add to more tries for teams with fast and strong outside backs and defensive teams will have to be quick to adjust.

20:40 kick
Yep, fine. It just means more attacking space for a team in its defensive area as wingers will have to drop back to defend it and it will open up attacking opportunities from within 20m.

The trial of 6 players in the scrum
Given that scrums are now BS and it really should just be a tap kick the fact that 6 players of 13 are required to bind (and I use that term loosely) which opens up the play area for the backs. Naturally this would only happen if a player has been sin-binned or sent-off and the other team should have some form of advantage

Anyway, my thoughts
Thanks for the additional rules mate - and pretty much with you on the observations.
Just on that first point - from what I believe, the tackle in the air and is designed for the high attacking kick.... by either attacker/defender now will constitute a penalty.

*The tackle on attacking players off the bomb has a double edged sword for Manly, with Taufua certain to cop a heap of pressure, but the flip side, Manly who have not used Turbo as much as we should, who can leap with the best and exploit this rule.
I think there will be far more defensive teams now taking the option of striking at the ball to "Spoil the play" (if the opposition has the jump and they can't compete the catch), rather than allow the attacker a clean catch, which will be tough to defend now a tackle can't be made....This rule has it's good and bad for Manly....

Whats the thoughts - good and bad of these Rules from a Manly perspective for 2020.

As you said, the flip side is that we have a very good kicker in DCE and both Reubs and especially Turbo have proven very adept at catching attacking bombs. And the good thing is that this new rule will probably mean that it will be a tactic that can be overused because of the advantage the attacking players have in not being able to be tackled if they catch the ball in mid-air.

Interesting theory you have there regarding spoiling the ball. Very much like the age old Aussie rules tactic of spoiling when a player goes for a mark. Taller outside backs such as Turbo will have some advantage there, plus its not like its something totally foreign to him. Remember that before he decided on league, the Sydney Swans wanted Tom Trbojevic who played Aussie rules as a kid.

Athletic wingers who practice jumping, catching and then diving towards the try line “ could” score a lot of penalty try’s.

****ing stupid, really dumb rule!!

Players such as Turbo and Daniel Tupou, if their kickers get it right (and with DCE and Luke Keary they have two of the best kickers in the NRL), could well be scoring in the high 20s or low 30s for the year. Not sure if Dave Brown's NRL season record of 38 in 1935 is under threat just yet.....but Blakey's Manly record of 27 in 1983 could be in danger.

but I just hate seeing trainers out there all the time and it reminds me of 6yo or 7yo games when kids are still learning.

Mate .... the modern generation of players are that dumbed down that the referee has to call out the tackle number, call several times last tackle, and even call them off-side by name and then tell them not to get involved .... I think they need the trainers on the field to continually point in the direction they need to run .....

Athletic wingers who practice jumping, catching and then diving towards the try line “ could” score a lot of penalty try’s.

****ing stupid, really dumb rule!!

I didn’t think of that. A player can catch the ball and just fall flat on his stomach instead of his legs and no one can touch him.
I was thinking of players landing on their feet and trying to pass but if a nimble winger can get to the ground without landing on his feet, they’ll score every time.

Ridiculous rule as the old rule worked well.

Cant see a problem with the new rule tackling player in the air. Its pretty dangerous and players like Tafua should learn to defend the bomb by catching the dam ball like Snake did, not watching an opponent catch the ball uncontested and then trying to tackle them, doesn't work, players like fergo, tupou etc score anyway. It just means wingers will need to contest each bomb, no point just batting it away, you give up another 6 tackles, may as well try and catch it. Standing there and trying to tackle a player who has jumped up and caught the ball is useless, even if you tackle them in the air, large bodies like fergo crash over the try line anyway

Cant see a problem with the new rule tackling player in the air. Its pretty dangerous and players like Tafua should learn to defend the bomb by catching the dam ball like Snake did, not watching an opponent catch the ball uncontested and then trying to tackle them, doesn't work, players like fergo, tupou etc score anyway. It just means wingers will need to contest each bomb, no point just batting it away, you give up another 6 tackles, may as well try and catch it. Standing there and trying to tackle a player who has jumped up and caught the ball is useless, even if you tackle them in the air, large bodies like fergo crash over the try line anyway

99.99% of what you do is directly connected to your physical position .... if you are one foot away from being in a position to be able to "fairly" leap for the ball ... you then have to pull out and watch your opponnent catch the ball and score ... it is ludicrous ....

I don't now of any statistic or anecdotal information that would suggest attacking players being tackled in the air is any more dangerous than any other facet of the game ... including taking a hit up at full pace and getting hit by up to 4 120 kg forwards

99.99% of what you do is directly connected to your physical position .... if you are one foot away from being in a position to be able to "fairly" leap for the ball ... you then have to pull out and watch your opponnent catch the ball and score ... it is ludicrous ....

I don't now of any statistic or anecdotal information that would suggest attacking players being tackled in the air is any more dangerous than any other facet of the game ... including taking a hit up at full pace and getting hit by up to 4 120 kg forwards
Your right to a big degree Woodsie, as evidence to this I can't recall an injury from this in 2018/19 seasons ??
There's probably more injuries from competing for a grubber kick, or even friendly fire where 2 heads collide making a tackle??
This is going to create more problems with 101 video replays of were they competing, was it an "air tackle" and again....we will be left with a very grey area, supported by which ever team we are going for, rather than a cut and dried decision.
It could basically become an open shot to score a try and we could find the highest paid player signed from an AFL team to take marks all day unopposed.

There was NOTHING wrong with the old “ tackled in the air” rule so it’s got me ****ed why they’d change it!

But I admit I can’t wait until Cameron Smith whispers in the Refs ear and a decision is made only to have it overturned by an opposing captains challenge , now that will be a grand day in Rugby League.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4