2019 Squad - Plenty of Pace !

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
There is a key component that has been an obvious miss at Manly in recent times - Speed !!
The 2019 squad has definitely improved in this area.
The 5/8 Elgey is pacey and full of energy.
Outside backs in Garrick and Elliott can motor (Elliott out paced Ponga in a 70m dash to the line)
Youngsters Funa and Anderson are fliers.
Young Hoppa is a genuine speedster and has it all....

To be realistic I feel the only 2 definites to own a spot here are Elgey and Hoppa....but have a feeling Elliott/Funa will be a starting winger and Garrick is in the sights of a starting centre spot based on training and trial form.

The main point here is the speed factor is far better than it was and if the forward pack can match or win up front, is great to have some speedy backs to cash in.
There's no doubt Turbo, DCE and Walker, will appreciate more pace around them....

We looked ok last year until we got down to just 20 fit players .... injuries will again be critical .... but you are correct, our starting position gives us some options ..... the 2nd string players this year appear to have a bit more sting ..... 5/8 will be the difference between a good backline and an ordinary one ......

I agree with most of that except that Funa isn’t a flier. He is about the same as Jorge for speed.

Im interested to see a backline with Tom, Anderson, Hoppa, Garrick and Walker (if he is still around) - now that is a quick backline.

There is a key component that has been an obvious miss at Manly in recent times - Speed !!
The 2019 squad has definitely improved in this area.
The 5/8 Elgey is pacey and full of energy.
Outside backs in Garrick and Elliott can motor (Elliott out paced Ponga in a 70m dash to the line)
Youngsters Funa and Anderson are fliers.
Young Hoppa is a genuine speedster and has it all....

To be realistic I feel the only 2 definites to own a spot here are Elgey and Hoppa....but have a feeling Elliott/Funa will be a starting winger and Garrick is in the sights of a starting centre spot based on training and trial form.

The main point here is the speed factor is far better than it was and if the forward pack can match or win up front, is great to have some speedy backs to cash in.
There's no doubt Turbo, DCE and Walker, will appreciate more pace around them....

You said it feathered friend !

images.png

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8