2018 YART time

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I don’t know if this is a retro idea, but it worked in 2007/8 but why not a second fresh hooker / reserve half off the bench and 3 big forwards in rotation?

Bring the reserve hooker/ half ( primarily a hooker but there if one of the halves gets injured) into the game about the 60th minute and let him run wild for 10 minutes, if it works he stays on if he doesn’t API subs back in after a 10 minute break.

Could that work and if not why?
Not sure how many sides run with that set up these days. Dogs did it a bit last year, as did Rabbits. Broncos were forced into a bit when McCullough got injured. I can see Sharks probably utilising it with Seggy off the bench.

The real question is do we have someone capable of playing that role or are we better off just sticking with Api for the 80mins ?

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Not sure how many sides run with that set up these days. Dogs did it a bit last year, as did Rabbits. Broncos were forced into a bit when McCullough got injured. I can see Sharks probably utilising it with Seggy off the bench.

The real question is do we have someone capable of playing that role or are we better off just sticking with Api for the 80mins ?

I was thinking of that Hooker from the under 20’s last year (forget the name) or did he get snapped up somewhere else?

COMMANDER

IF YOU DO NOT TRY YOU CAN NOT FAIL
Our backline has questions all over it. Walker may never be the same, Jorge coming back from an ACL, no established 5/8, Brian Kelly defensively is weak. It may go really badly for us.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Our backline has questions all over it. Walker may never be the same, Jorge coming back from an ACL, no established 5/8, Brian Kelly defensively is weak. It may go really badly for us.
Exactly right Commander - that is why this team will rely extra heavily on a robust forward pack to win the momentum and lay the platform.
Thing is - if the 5/8 in question slots in well, alongside another rookie stepping up, the quality of DCE and Turbo can make this a strong 2018 season....worst comes to worst I see 4 Jim Beam bottles in that Avatar - this can help reduce pain.....

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I don’t think all those things will happen , if they do then yes I agree we are in deep do do!!

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Yeah that’s him, thought he was a real gun in the finals of the twenties!!
Tbh mate - the Eels were marking both Fainu and Wright with triple coverage, including THAT last pass when the 2nd defender turned in allowing Fainu to throw the match winning pass at the death....how sweet that was....and he usually dominated far more in most other games in 2017.
I feel if given the opportunity, he will cause headaches regardless of those calling him "too young", the kid is the goods and if he does well in the trials, I won't be surprised to see his name throughout the season.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Barrett would already have almost all positions locked in. Trials are not for selecting teams they are for gaining match fitness and an early hit out for players. The message it sends to players when a team is already locked in is that those who missed out need to wait for an opportunity, till then play well.
So if you were coach you would select players on training drills only and not trial match performances .
I think you and I would make different coaches feathered friend

Mal Cochrane

I'm not really Mal Cochrane...
depends who else steps up for the front row position. AFB is better than Lussick every day of the week, but we don't want to lose marty & AFB after 25 minutes and have 2 soft props come on. That is why i feel atm that AFB is better suited to the bench for the sake of team

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Tbh mate - the Eels were marking both Fainu and Wright with triple coverage, including THAT last pass when the 2nd defender turned in allowing Fainu to throw the match winning pass at the death....how sweet that was....and he usually dominated far more in most other games in 2017.
I feel if given the opportunity, he will cause headaches regardless of those calling him "too young", the kid is the goods and if he does well in the trials, I won't be surprised to see his name throughout the season.

I watched a few of the 20’s games last year and he always impressed me, to be honest I thought he might have been one of the ones to be snapped up elsewhere.

ricardo

Bencher
depends who else steps up for the front row position. AFB is better than Lussick every day of the week, but we don't want to lose marty & AFB after 25 minutes and have 2 soft props come on. That is why i feel atm that AFB is better suited to the bench for the sake of team

100% agree. Marty and AFB are awesome. Luss needs to lift to his best

Holmsey

Bencher
So if you were coach you would select players on training drills only and not trial match performances .
I think you and I would make different coaches feathered friend
Id pick players on past performances and proper nrl preformances, not trial matches that are only meant for gaining match fitness. If any coach picks mainly on a couple of trial preformances against reserve grade line ups and players who are only playing for a hit out they are a bad coach.

Holmsey

Bencher
Barrett has his top 17 like most coaches....thing is, this team is a long way from finalised and with any number of forwards battling for 2-3 positions and at least a centre - 5/8 spot up for grabs, if a players heats up the trials and the other player ahead on points today does not fire, 1 would have rocks in their head not to think players could easily play their way into a top 17 position based on these trials.
A good game in a trial doesnt mean you walk into A team!

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Id pick players on past performances and proper nrl preformances, not trial matches that are only meant for gaining match fitness. If any coach picks mainly on a couple of trial preformances against reserve grade line ups and players who are only playing for a hit out they are a bad coach.
If you pick players on past performances then you should sign the likes of Lewis Brown on a life time contract. Trial games are not only for match fitness they are also for match performance . Many stars were born in trial matches thanks to astute and proactive coaches .
We will agree to disagree feathered friend

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
A good game in a trial doesnt mean you walk into A team!
No - but the factors of open positions in let’s say 5/8, centre and 2 or 3 spots in the forwards may open up an opportunity.
That imo is far from a set 17.
It also ensures those not guaranteed a spot have a willing player on their heels and if not up to scratch - could be leapfrogged.
In fact, looking at Barrett’s team for the opening trial, it pretty much seems on the money, as the key players who are 100% starters are having what I would call a rest, to let these other boys try prove themselves.

Holmsey

Bencher
If you pick players on past performances then you should sign the likes of Lewis Brown on a life time contract. Trial games are not only for match fitness they are also for match performance . Many stars were born in trial matches thanks to astute and proactive coaches .
We will agree to disagree feathered friend
Past performance means current form and performance, not the way you twisted it to sound. And the trial games are for match fitness, thats exactky why they have them.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18