2017 Judiciary - Fines for Some Grade 1 Offences

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Who do you reckon will pay these fines? The players or the clubs?
I guess it will depend on how good the player is. The top tier players won't have to put their hands in their pockets because clubs will do anything to keep them happy.
And where will the funds come from? Will they come off the salary cap?

I heard the Big Marn say the players have to pay it out of their own pockets, to which he said was unfair, and a dumb rule

For such a small amount, the players will pay it and the club will then hand them $1,500.....impossible to tace unless some idiot player went and deposited it into his account

For such a small amount, the players will pay it and the club will then hand them $1,500.....impossible to tace unless some idiot player went and deposited it into his account

The chooks are going to be making alot of brown paper bag payments....

oh wait, I made a mistake....

The chooks are going to be making alot more brown paper bag payments....

* Minor offences such as tripping, careless high tackles, contrary and detrimental conduct will attract $1500 fines
* Offences have decreased from 17 to 12, while there are only three gradings
* Carryover points will not be added to offences that attract fines
* The match review committee has been reduced from five members to four
* The judiciary will sit on Tuesday nights, instead of the traditional Wednesday evening

Hard to argue with most of this - except for the obvious mentioned above re clubs paying fines for players. A couple of things stand out though:
  • Nice option for rep season - Grade 1 will be popular
  • Tripping is a minor offence now? Good news for Josh Reynolds!
  • Still nothing to address the difference between points needed to miss a big game. If you incur 100 points in the prelim final you miss a grand final but if you incur 100 points in the grand final, you miss the 9's and/or maybe a trial game (the more of pre-season missed the happier the player). I have always thought you should need more points against your name to miss a bigger game eg.
100 points - Regular Season Premiership Game, WCC
150 points - Finals Series or Rep Footy
200 points - Grand Final
Other Pre-Season - Play as many games as you want​

I wonder what the find should be if you do not join up to the tipping comp?

The other point I will make is that the NRL judiciary system is still a guilty until proven innocent system.

1. Will more players be charged with grade 1 offences as the NRL knows they will pay the fine so they don't miss a game?
  2. Does this mean you can contest your $1500 fine? Do you get a bigger one if you lose at the tribunal?
  3. Will your fees (lawyers, etc..) to defend against your grade 1 exceed the $1500 fine meaning you basically you have no choice but to pay the fine as its the best alternative. Which means if you get a fine you have no choice but to pay it.
Finally if the fines are worn by the players themselves, then the severity of penalty is no longer equal.

Thurston, DCE, GI, etc... probably won't feel the $1500 but someone on a base 80K is going to feel it.

If DCE is on a $1M a fine is only 0.15% of his salary.
But a player on 80K is 1.875% of thier gross salary.

Suppose its incentive to not commit offences.

10 fines per week X $1500 X 26 weeks = $390,000.

The NRL should invest in Rehab facilities, it is a grow industry.

The other point I will make is that the NRL judiciary system is still a guilty until proven innocent system.

1. Will more players be charged with grade 1 offences as the NRL knows they will pay the fine so they don't miss a game?
  2. Does this mean you can contest your $1500 fine? Do you get a bigger one if you lose at the tribunal?
  3. Will your fees (lawyers, etc..) to defend against your grade 1 exceed the $1500 fine meaning you basically you have no choice but to pay the fine as its the best alternative. Which means if you get a fine you have no choice but to pay it.
Finally if the fines are worn by the players themselves, then the severity of penalty is no longer equal.

Thurston, DCE, GI, etc... probably won't feel the $1500 but someone on a base 80K is going to feel it.

If DCE is on a $1M a fine is only 0.15% of his salary.
But a player on 80K is 1.875% of thier gross salary.

Suppose its incentive to not commit offences.

I think you can figure out the answer to #3 yourself but I agree the rest is unclear. It's almost like the NRL intentionally creates inconsistencies to generate discussion and interest. I'd say they are amateurs but that would be unfair to volunteers. The NRL is just incompetent.

Should just be a clean slate for the finals with no carry over points from the regular season. Plus a 50% discount on charges during the finals.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12