2010 Storm Breach reaches $1.3M and rising

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
Steve Burraston, Newcastle Knights Chief Executive, confirmed that the Storm's breach this year is far more than first thought.

\"We're now talking a number I understand that's growing. And for 2010, it's $1.3 million or more,\" Burraston told Insight.

The Knights CEO confirmed that he learned of the Storm's additional salary cap breach at Tuesday's meeting of NRL club CEOs.

Cap rort talk is rife, says Taylor

Jason Taylor, former South Sydney Rabbitohs coach, says he sat in on meetings at the club where officials raised the option of breaching the National Rugby League salary cap.

Joining SBS's Insight program to discuss the fall-out from Melbourne Storm's salary cap breach, Taylor said that in a meeting at his former club, the question was asked:

"Are we going to have a look at doing stuff outside the cap?"

Taylor made the revelation sitting across from his former employer, South Sydney co-owner Peter Holmes a Court, who was also a guest on the Insight program.

"It's happening. Players are being paid payments that are outside of the salary cap, and that's been going on for a long time. I think it's happening at a lot of clubs and something needs to be done about it," Taylor also said.

The former Western Suburbs, North Sydney and Parramatta halfback added that the salary cap breach suggestion was not acted upon at Souths.

Taylor was sacked as Rabbitohs coach last year after three seasons at the club, and threatened legal action at the time.

Also revealed on Insight was news that Melbourne Storm has breached the salary cap by 1.3 million dollars for the 2010 season, almost twice as much as first announced by the NRL.

Steve Burraston, Newcastle Knights Chief Executive, confirmed that the Storm's breach this year is far more than first thought.

"We're now talking a number I understand that's growing. And for 2010, it's $1.3 million or more," Burraston told Insight.

The Knights CEO confirmed that he learned of the Storm's additional salary cap breach at Tuesday's meeting of NRL club CEOs.

The club bosses gathered in Sydney to discuss an expansion of an NRL committee set up to examine possible reforms to the code's salary cap system.

Also present on the Insight program were Australia's leading rugby league journalists – Steve Mascord from Rugby League Week, Paul Kent from the Daily Telegraph and Brad Walter from the Sydney Morning Herald, along with player managers Sam Ayoub and Andrew Purcell, who both manage Melbourne Storm players.

That's $450k each between Cronk, Slater, Smith & Inglis. Tell me that they are not aware of this amount of money is going into their accounts.....

Can you imagine the talent we could buy for that much extra? It would buy four players at $300 k each or three at $450 each. Pick three superstars from the best of the NRL, add them to our current team and imagine what you would have???

Canteen Worker link said:
Can you imagine the talent we could buy for that much extra? It would buy four players at $300 k each or three at $450 each. Pick three superstars from the best of the NRL, add them to our current team and imagine what you would have???
Assuming we're not rorting it ourselves. 

It scares me to think we're doing it in some way, a lot of people are saying 'how about Manly'... i hope we're clean, only so i can laugh at the Storm with a clear conscience!

I think we can face the fact that EVERY teams has some rorts going on, and that includes us....but I doubt it's a very large amount and is likely to be a few "endorsement deals" not declared...there is supposed to be a team handing out cash in paper bags.....now I wonder who that might be???

what people are forgetting is that you have to have the cash to hand it out.cronulla,manly,newcastle,canberra,penrith etc all have major cash flow problems just keeping afloat.there is no way they could orchestrate anything on a major scale.

the blank cheque from news also accounted for the flood of juniors heading to melbourne.they werent going there for the weather.

$1.3m - that's an extra three Orford salaries at their peak.

And the spin doctoring goes on...

News Ltd distanced itself entirely from the actions of its 100% owned subsidiary, nothing to do with them apparently.  

News Ltd chairman and chief executive Hartigan stingingly derided Waldron's unsupported and unsubstantiated claims re salary cap abuses, effectively inviting him to put up or shut up. Now that Hartigan's own boss, Rupert Murdoch, has made similar unsupported and unsubstantiated claims re salary cap abuses, shall we sit on the edge of our seats waiting for Hartigan to be consistent - and similarly deriding of Murdoch?

lol

they arent taking it off Kiwi, but if the stars they offload to other clubs are only able to pay a certain amount which may be less than the Melbourne contract is, the difference will still be paid to them, but by Melbourne, that amount will be included as part of the storms salary cap.

Cheers Fro, no surprise our bloody radio got it wrong !! They were talking about the Storm's cap only being 3.5mill next season

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6