2008 Squad

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
I know this subject has been bandied about, but The Dragons debacle certainly made the subject important again.

With Burns, Williamson, Monaghan, Hicks, Dunley (probably), Rose (maybe) all leaving, and the fact that the only player we have been linked to is Jesters Pies (who halted talks !), what does everyone think about:-

1. Our depth next year?
2. The retention team?
3. The acquisition team?

Can we possibly improve from the position we are in in 2007 next year, or have we had our cycle, and will need another 4-5 years of building?

and the fact that the only player we have been linked to is Jesters Pies (who halted talks !),

Does this mean that Pery isn;t comming to Manly afterall?

Dunno mate.....there's been nothing since Perry halted talks to focus on football.

Zorba did mention on radio last weekend that there would be some news regarding a signing after SOO3.

Maybe Jester Perry?

Look at who is leaving and their replacements.

Burns - Des is hell bent on Lyon at 6 so equal or better replacement. If you are looking at Burns as a utility than it may be a different story.

Willo - If there isn't someone in PL to take Willos spot than we are in deep sh*t. Willo is a good clubman and solid enough but I'm not going to lose any sleep over his departure. If the rumours that Beaver is going around for another year are true, than we haven't lost anything. Or maybe Matai might be given the push into the back row if Neumann comes on.

Monaghan - As a number 9 than we have Ballin. As a half I don't know. Is this Groom character any chop ?

Hicks - wingers come and go and are probably the easiest of positions to fill IMO. As long as they can catch and run fast or hard, with a sprinkle of defensive ability than we'll be fine. I'm sure there are a couple of likelies in reggies (Bani ?)

Dunley - can he leave now ?? negligible contribution this season so won't be missed.

Rose - Perry (assuming he is coming) is an equal or better replacement. Plus how did Sione Alphabet and Halfasanga go yesterday ?? Are one of that pair likely. Also Cuthbo has shown some improvement, but seems to be a school of thought that he is better in the 2nd row.

I think were we may be short next year is a bench hooker/utility spot. Losing Burns and Monas (and to an extent Willo) weakens us in that respect. Ballin has shown he should be right for the starting 9 slot and maybe he can play 80 minutes. Otherwise we may need a signing in that area. Is Michael Ennis still uncontracted next year ? I reckon he'd be a good buy. He can play hooker, and is big enough for the backrow as well. Also Broncos have been playing him at half with Lockyer out.

In an ideal world we could do with another good prop also.

Your analysis is fine with me C & C. I'd like to see what sort of players from Flegg or PL could pressure OX with Monas gone. eager young fresh blood. yum.

We are assuming Matai will be in the team.

If the past 3 seasons are anything to go by, he will be out injured, suspended or in prison.

We are throwing up names like Bani / Neumann and co. That's a bit of a worry. We already have Bryant, Ballin, possibly Halden in the team. Too many no name players.

If Orford goes down, or during the origin period, we are going to look like faerie floss.

The past 5 weeks has been a test of our depth. Has it passed?

We are assuming Matai will be in the team.

If the past 3 seasons are anything to go by, he will be out injured, suspended or in prison.

We are throwing up names like Bani / Neumann and co. That's a bit of a worry. We already have Bryant, Ballin, possibly Halden in the team. Too many no name players.

If Orford goes down, or during the origin period, we are going to look like faerie floss.

The past 5 weeks has been a test of our depth. Has it passed?

You have to nurture these "No name players" believe it or not. Do you think Hoffman, Johnson, Turner, White etc. were always Big name players for the Storm?

I couldn't care less if Ballin doesn't get any big headlines, he is a better Hooker then Monas and doesn't have a ****ty attitude like Monas.

Give Neumann a chance, the kid was injured at the start of the year and didn't have an offseason. He was very impressive in patches yesterday and will be a fine 1st grader in the future.

Bani from what i have seen is very quick and evasive.

Good assessment C & C and I agree.

I am still far from sold on cuthbertson... I'd persist with fenafuaki.. he looks like a big strong bastard who runs well.. sort of reminds me of lulu.

Fanifukinwhateva reminds me of Gary winter and grant wooden rolled into one, can the guy make a tackle one on one??

he just waited till someone else made it then fell on the opposition.

maybe he should play halfback.. cheaper than the garbage we have there.

But he is too big and too slow, a tongan George Rose if you like.

We will improve. Each year some players step up and next year will be no different. I remember everyone writing of G Stewart last year/start of this year. However like most teams in the comp if you lose players in key positions you will struggle.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4