2006 5/8's - where would YOU rate Monaghan?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man

Darren Lockyer------- 1
Braith Anasta--------- 6
Jason Smith-----------7
Adam Dykes----------8
Michael Monaghan----15
Scott Hill-------------- 5
Lance Hohaia---------13
Kurt Gidley------------12
Johnathon Thurston -4
John Morris------------10
Preston Campbell----9
Trent Barrett---------- 2
John Sutton-----------11
Brett Finch-------------14
Benji Marshall--------- 3

for mine - and therin lies our problem if he is selected there. Isn't it strange that the top 5 5/8's are in teams that are playing finals.

i would struggle to put monas further up the list

The Dogs may have to start with Holdsworth next year. That might bump Monaghan up a notch for a couple of weeks.

Though I was hoping we'd sign Holdsworth this time last year.

It's also hard for the Roosters to have 2 5/8's. Monaghan would be above Finch, Holdsworth and Hohaia for mine.

And just quietly get over making threads purely to bag Monaghan. It is starting to give me the ****s. For god's sake we get the point, you hate Monaghan, you want him out of the club, move the **** on!

I find it amusing that you bag Monaghans consistency, and yet you have seen one good game from Malangi Styles and all of a sudden he's a saviour, not to mention you thought Heckenburg was the worst prop in the comp last year despite being our most consistent.

You have your favourites, and you bad mouth anyone that gets in their way.

I have refrained for over-posting on this site in recent times, it may as well become the 'ihateourclubcaptain.net' site.

Think of a better option, and don't bad mouth the guy who has despite whatever you say taken this club to its first finals appearance in 8 years.

We've bought Orford to fill the halfback role, but in all fairness Witt, Burns, Mullane whoever else you have named in your freakin YART's at 5/8, probably Cuthbo somewhere, are all an extreme step down from Monaghan.

I've had my rant, and I expect to cop a fair bit back for it, tough titties its the truth, and despite enjoying the company of many on this site it is becoming a painful repetitive drag to be apart of.

I haven't seen him play too much 5/8. So an uninformed decision I won't be making. With Orford inside and bell outside he will look a lot better, as our attacking options this year were minimal.

If he's going to be with us I still think hooker is better for him. At least he can kick long when required and that will be handy out of dummy half.

However, Ballin is thought of highly and may get his chance to shine next year.

It's also hard for the Roosters to have 2 5/8's. Monaghan would be above Finch, Holdsworth and Hohaia for mine.

And just quietly get over making threads purely to bag Monaghan. It is starting to give me the ****s. For god's sake we get the point, you hate Monaghan, you want him out of the club, move the **** on!

I find it amusing that you bag Monaghans consistency, and yet you have seen one good game from Malangi Styles and all of a sudden he's a saviour, not to mention you thought Heckenburg was the worst prop in the comp last year despite being our most consistent.

You have your favourites, and you bad mouth anyone that gets in their way.

I have refrained for over-posting on this site in recent times, it may as well become the 'ihateourclubcaptain.net' site.

Think of a better option, and don't bad mouth the guy who has despite whatever you say taken this club to its first finals appearance in 8 years.

We've bought Orford to fill the halfback role, but in all fairness Witt, Burns, Mullane whoever else you have named in your freakin YART's at 5/8, probably Cuthbo somewhere, are all an extreme step down from Monaghan.

I've had my rant, and I expect to cop a fair bit back for it, tough titties its the truth, and despite enjoying the company of many on this site it is becoming a painful repetitive drag to be apart of.

dead set legend

He hasn't played 5/8 at all so who knows how he could go and too early to judge for me. Lack of experience has him low initially

After Stephensons performances at centre I thought he was a lost cause but he has been great on the wing for us

Monaghan lives and breaths Manly, he has marroon and white blood cells. He brings passion tothe team. He may whinge to the Ref, but thats because he wants to take the Eagles to the finals (which he did)and further. He has proven his worth as a leader and he gives 100% every game. Sometimes he has average days, sometimes he has brilliant match-winning games and he has crappy games. But doesn't every football player?
Get off his back - he should be the Hooker-go-5/8 and Captain for 2006 and beyond!

6. BURNS/Witt/Dykes
7. OROFORD
9. MONAS (c)

17. DUNLEY
*Dunley goes on for Burns (or the 5/8 selected) as the game wears on and opposition forwards get tired - Dunners is our #1 impact player. Monas goes to 5/8 and Dunley takes over hooker.

Thats what I would do if I was Dessie Hasler.
Monas plays his best when he has a CREATIVE playmaker with him, which sadly Witt did not live up to for 80% of his games. Orford and Monas will make a LETHAL combo. :D

blunty fair call but the thread wasnt about monaghs it was about putting 2006 5/8th in order and where you would put our 5/8 in comparison

blunty fair call but the thread wasnt about monaghs it was about putting 2006 5/8th in order and where you would put our 5/8 in comparison

My first line covered that, then I just went on a bit of a rant.

With Walker outside him in 2004 Monaghan played some outstanding footy.

was it monas playing the outstanding football or Walker?

remember all he had to do was get the ball to walker and walker would get it to the backs!

was it monas playing the outstanding football or Walker?

remember all he had to do was get the ball to walker and walker would get it to the backs!

Early on in the season I believe it was Walker, but once he started getting distracted from footy it was actually Monaghan who lead our winning streak at the back end of the season. It just seemed to work better with a genuine 5/8, runnign second man plays and the like. This year we played 2 halfbacks, either side of the field and anymore than that became disjointed.

if you are suggesting that a genuine 5/8 makes monaghan look better or perform better then you are saying that it is the 5/8 who is doing the work.

IMO it was walker who made monaghan look good not the other way around. Walker was a dual code international 5/8, he couldnt tackle but he knew how to drive the attack. I feel it was Walker and not Monas who was the driving force for our attack

i have claimed all year that Monas and Witt did not complement each other and had very similar games. At various times both went missing.

Various Manly fans hate him and that is their perogative. Whatever your view the whole signing fiasco was just that and in the end it scuppered our campaign this season - whoever you want to blame for the matter!

if you are suggesting that a genuine 5/8 makes monaghan look better or perform better then you are saying that it is the 5/8 who is doing the work.

IMO it was walker who made monaghan look good not the other way around. Walker was a dual code international 5/8, he couldnt tackle but he knew how to drive the attack. I feel it was Walker and not Monas who was the driving force for our attack

Whatever way you put it Monaghan was still playing better footy with someone else there to lead the attack. Why wouldn't we see the same effect from Orford.

So if someone else was leading the attack.......what is monas there for?

The problem with monas is he cant pass long pass accurately and both ways, the warriors and the parra game were perfect highlights of this. Being in second receiever his job will be to throw the long ball out to bell, hicks and whoever is on the other side.

I am not bagging him, I am just saying I do not think he has the ability to play 5/8

Agreed his long passing game is pretty poor, mind you his short passing game isn't much better. However he is a pretty handy runner of the ball and long kicker, I suppose hooker may suit him. Although I feel Ballin/Dunley are a good hooker option, IMO there are no other good 5/8 options. Watching the Stormthe other night, Orford does pretty much all of the ball handling in a set, and most cut-out balls come from him. Scott Hill is used as more of a running 5/8, and offloader. Monas may suit that role a bit better.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4