2004-2011 A fan's perspective

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lismore_fan

Bencher
Courtesy of The Roar, a Manly fan, James Ditchfield, wrote about the climb of Manly from the doldrums to supremacy.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/11/21/carefuly-wish-may-just-come-true/

A good read. Better still are the after comments. More Manly fans sharing.

I remember 2004 being a horror year.2005 with the arrival of ben kennedy sparked the rebuilding process.The rest is history,grand final in 07,premierships in 08 & 11.This was a great period & brings tears to my eyes.

I don't think I've ever felt better than that day in October! I'll never forget it! Can still feel the ground shaking after the Beaver try!

Really good piece.

I'm not quite sure about the comments about 2011 though. A GF win is always something to be savoured, but I do agree that it didn't reach the heights of 2008. I doubt anything ever will.

I agree with the writer's point, namely the search for the Holy Grail is a consuming adventure, while continual success can seem humdrum.

I have lived through enough eras of Sea Eagle disappointment to never take success for granted.

In fact I recall feeling buoyed that we had signed a young bloke who was no star, yet apparently had some potential as a first grader - M Monaghan. Now we have the two most sought-after players in the game and half the comments here are about how over-rated they are. Makes me laugh!

....."In 2011, three years after their last triumph, I returned to the scene of the crime, in a decidedly less exuberant mood. It was like the Phantom Menace of grand finals; after the superior circumstances and build-up to the previous encounter, I left feeling somewhat disappointed that I had made any effort at all......"

pfffft not even a 'true' supporter!

As soon as the Warriors beat the Broncos in the prelim final in 2011 I knew we had our 8th Premiership in the bag, it was just a matter of "by how much". No nerves, no butterflies, no doubt. Strange feeling.

Chip and Chase said:
As soon as the Warriors beat the Broncos in the prelim final in 2011 I knew we had our 8th Premiership in the bag, it was just a matter of "by how much". No nerves, no butterflies, no doubt. Strange feeling.

With 83 and 97 scorched in my memory I couldn't share your optimism about 2011. There were some worrying passages of play when we were up 18-10 with the warriors on a roll. Funnily enough Mateo got them rolling.

In 2008 I only entertained thoughts of victory at 26-0.

In 2013 I relaxed a little when matai scored and we got 18-8. It's a cruel game.

There is no way 2011 was an anticlimax for me because 2009 and 2010 were so disappointing.

I don't think anything can compare to 2008. I do share the sentiment of the writer about 2007, I was a little bit 'are we really ready for this?'. And even though I was absolutely devastated that night, I was thankful to have made a GF, as years before I wondered if I'd see another one.

2008 still seems surreal to me. I didn't really think we could win, I was just wanting us to put in a real good performance. At 8-0 (halftime) I was thinking....if only Ox has nailed those conversions. Then we started scoring, and scoring. And I think it was when Kitey scored and we were 24-0? I thought surely we can't lose.

2011 was different again, as we were favourites and the Warriors have a terrible record against us. It was more a case of ours to lose. And in that final 15mins, I really thought it was going to happen. I couldn't believe the turning of the tide which came. I was just willing that clock to tick. I remember DCE doing a left footed kick on tackle 5 (after almost being tackled on our 20) which had them on the attack 40 out.....it just didn't seem like we would hold on.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6