2 NRL clubs in serious danger of folding

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
blitzkrieg link said:
Adeliade Sharks for mine ;)
Even if these teams did relocate to states where there are no NRL teams, do you think that they would get the following that would make them a viable financial team in the comp?  They'd be like Melbourne where they'd have to keep getting handouts from the NRL (or News Ltd in the Storms case).  Ideally it would be good (in my opinion because I think that there are too many teams in Sydney) if they were to relocate to these other states to make the comp a truely National Rugby League (without the handouts of course).

David Gallop rang me and told me he was going to ask Manly supporters which clubs we'd like to see eliminated. (Makes me feel bad about all those unjust thoughts I've been having about him) I told him to get rid of the Broncos and Storm.

Jatz Crackers link said:
Which ever one might fold, its a sure bet that there wil be lots of wailing and nashing of teeth and outright teary whinging by a bunch of their supporters......especially if they are eels  :D

We'd have to prop up the eels, where would we get a lot of our players from if they folded?

After all they are a feeder club for us, Lion, Williams, Willimas, Le Strange etc etc etc.  ;D

We've been named!!

The Cronulla Sharks and the Newcastle Knights are the two most endangered clubs in the NRL.

If there was a betting market on the first team to fold, I’d be suggesting Cronulla are odds on.

The facts are simple with the Sharks – they are not getting enough support from fans in the Shire, despite having a successful football team.

Sponsorship is down and even despite crowds improving last season, gate takings – or lack of them – remain a huge problem coupled with a Leagues Club struggling under the pokie taxes and smoking bans.

The Newcastle Knights are not much better off. They have accumulated debt of just over $3 million since entering the ARL in 1988.

Without a licensed club for support, they are totally reliant on the people of Newcastle – fans and sponsors – to keep themselves afloat.

But not far behind them are the privately owned teams like Souths, the Warriors and Manly.

I’ll tell you why at 1pm.

You’ll be shocked to learn just how precarious their situation is.

The NRL has been closely monitoring all clubs to prevent a total disaster.

The first club collapse may be only months away.

Join Buzz today at 1pm to find out how safe your club is.

hahaha he couldnt help but name us could he

Its funny, because in the blog he did the other day about "Whats really wrong with manly", someone questioned him about Penn wanting to move us to the Central Coast.

He goes on to explain that there is absolutely no truth in it, and that Penn just spent $15M on the Leagues club and about wanting to refurb brookie so Manly are around long term.

This is not good i personally don't want any of the clubs to fold.

Say two clubs fold example between Sharks, Raiders & Eels ? could this cause a domino effect for other clubs to fold down the track later ?

There will be no more rivalarly matches between Sharks v St George same goes for Eels vs Manly, Bulldogs & Penrith

What does the NRL do ? let two new clubs form in other areas like Central Coast & another interstate like WA ? we know Gosford is a growth area for rugby league if two current clubs fold then the competition is slowly lossing some of it's history with clubs like Sharks 1967 - Eels 1947 - Raiders 1982 - Knights 1988

And for those supporters who may not have a team to follow anymore and that could be us (Manly) also as i feel know one club is truly 100% safe than a lot of those supporters maybe lost from the game forever.

Maybe if news stopped sucking money out and injectected more into all the clubs - and pissed of melbourne who run at a massive lose the game would be stronger.

I also don't want to see any clubs fold thats why I'm pro moving the sharks to the coast.

***************** Witty Comment Alert *****************

Dan link said:
Its a shame Canberra have always flown under my Raider and they really did have some awesome teams in the past

Very clever Dan or did you just post that by accident????

eggson link said:
We've been named!!

The Cronulla Sharks and the Newcastle Knights are the two most endangered clubs in the NRL.

If there was a betting market on the first team to fold, I’d be suggesting Cronulla are odds on.

The facts are simple with the Sharks – they are not getting enough support from fans in the Shire, despite having a successful football team.

Sponsorship is down and even despite crowds improving last season, gate takings – or lack of them – remain a huge problem coupled with a Leagues Club struggling under the pokie taxes and smoking bans.

The Newcastle Knights are not much better off. They have accumulated debt of just over $3 million since entering the ARL in 1988.

Without a licensed club for support, they are totally reliant on the people of Newcastle – fans and sponsors – to keep themselves afloat.

But not far behind them are the privately owned teams like Souths, the Warriors and Manly.

I’ll tell you why at 1pm.

You’ll be shocked to learn just how precarious their situation is.

The NRL has been closely monitoring all clubs to prevent a total disaster.

The first club collapse may be only months away.

Join Buzz today at 1pm to find out how safe your club is.
Is there a club he hasn't named?  Everyone can win roulette if they get to select every number.

Why are the Dogs not on the endangered list? I would have thought their revenue sources would be pretty low, what with the failed Oasis deal, their poor crowds and the loss they have experienced in sponsorship over the years.

Are the Dragons very healthy at present? The whole Kogarah out of action thing has hurt them, as has heir poor crowds in the Gong!!!

Storm would be bankrupt without massive input from News and Raiders are also said to be struggling big time on the cash flow front.

These are the 4 catagories that rothfield has on the heading of his blog:

"Future in doubt: Sharks, Knights

Shaky: Warriors, Souths, Manly

Should be ok: Raiders, Tigers, Roosters, Titans, Eels, Cowboys, Storm, Dragons, Panthers

Totally safe: Broncos, Bulldogs "

His basis for naming us, the warriors and souths is because he thinks the owners will get sick of pumping money into the respective clubs and leave. But on the other hand he said yesterday that Penn has just purchased the leagues club and we should be ok.

The blokes a shark supporter who's trying to put a scare though every club hoping someone will bail them out.

Canteen Worker link said:
***************** Witty Comment Alert *****************

[quote author=Dan link=topic=179833.msg215316#msg215316 date=1237940183]

Its a shame Canberra have always flown under my Raider and they really did have some awesome teams in the past

Very clever Dan or did you just post that by accident????
[/quote]
a little from column A a little from column B

missing_something link said:
Maybe if news stopped sucking money out and injectected more into all the clubs - and pissed of melbourne who run at a massive lose the game would be stronger...
Bullseye.

This is simple cause and effect.  The representatives of the clubs who dominate the media now (the Super League clubs) including Rothfield's Sharks sold out the game to News Ltd during its hostile takeover.  Don't expect the Laurie Daleys of this world to bring light to this cause.

At a time when the sport should have been at its wealthiest due to the introduction of Pay TV, this sellout to News Ltd effectively bankrupted the sport.  To add salt to the wound, News Ltd keeps the game bankrupted by sucking millions of dollars out every year (much of which is used to prop up the outstandingly unprofitable Storm). The sport gets nothing in return for this priviliege of giving millions of dollars to News Ltd.  There are no reserves.  AND what should be a cash bonanza - the sale of TV rights - is not at arms length with News Ltd controlling both the seller and buyer.  Guess who gets screwed then?

Changes in legislation - pokie machines/taxes - have been the straw that has broken this camel's back.

It would be ironic to see the Phil Rothfield's Sharks, who were a core source of this mess became a victim of their own greed.  My bet however is that News Ltd will find some way to bail them out.

I think if it is the Gummies that have to fold, they'll relocate to the CC.  Phew for us.  Gallop and his crew operate on a cost benefit analysis method, which doesn't include the fans.  he thinks that by relocating  there will be the automatic people base to follow whatever team goes there.  The guys a complete nutcase.  If a team is relocated, they'll pick up the 8 million, and then go bust, as the NE did.  For a team to be successful wherever it goes, it has to be a completley new entity and grow a local following, not some supplanted animal. (or fish as it would seem)     

Rex link said:
[quote author=missing_something link=topic=179833.msg215359#msg215359 date=1237950377]
Maybe if news stopped sucking money out and injectected more into all the clubs - and pissed of melbourne who run at a massive lose the game would be stronger...
Bullseye.

This is simple cause and effect.  The representatives of the clubs who dominate the media now (the Super League clubs) including Rothfield's Sharks sold out the game to News Ltd during its hostile takeover.  Don't expect the Laurie Daleys of this world to bring light to this cause.

At a time when the sport should have been at its wealthiest due to the introduction of Pay TV, this sellout to News Ltd effectively bankrupted the sport.  To add salt to the wound, News Ltd keeps the game bankrupted by sucking millions of dollars out every year (much of which is used to prop up the outstandingly unprofitable Storm). The sport gets nothing in return for this priviliege of giving millions of dollars to News Ltd.  There are no reserves.  AND what should be a cash bonanza - the sale of TV rights - is not at arms length with News Ltd controlling both the seller and buyer.  Guess who gets screwed then?

Changes in legislation - pokie machines/taxes - have been the straw that has broken this camel's back.

It would be ironic to see the Phil Rothfield's Sharks, who were a core source of this mess became a victim of their own greed.  My bet however is that News Ltd will find some way to bail them out.
[/quote]

Spot on

If News LTD got their grubby little paws out of the lolly jar and money was invested back into the clubs majority of the issue's faced by current clubs wouldn't be as bad. This is not to say long term future is safe but would help to delay any difficulty and allow some financial restructuring for survival.

I’m not to certain if total privatisation is the way to go, and you don’t have to go to far to look at recent failures such as the Sydney Kings or Brisbane Bullets, additionally our population doesn’t support full privatisation. Unfortunately we don’t have to many oil rich Sheik’s in Australia that would be interested in buying a team or two. Maybe Gallop and Murdoch should both be taking a trip to downtown Kabul or Baghdad and start promoting the game.

Personally I think current media hype about player discipline off the field is playing into Murdoch’s and News Limited hands (Sorry Sarah don’t know how you married into that family). Obviously News LTD want to pay a lot less for media rights to the game and what a way to go about it. We could only wish the pair would take a trip and never return lost to the game for good.

Thought the whole idea of Super League was so that the clubs get a bigger piece of the pie, so why hasn’t it been so???

Murdoch/Gallop – “Please Explain”

that joke deserves a double smite niccipops

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4