• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It has always annoyed me when the talk of Manly's 7th tackle try comes up from the 70's the 95 grand final seems to be glossed over...not forgetting the forward pass as well

Have a look at the backend of the clip below (around the 6 min mark)

also shouldn't forget that this was the first Grand final where one team played to a 10 metre rule and the other 3 metres.....

What a great segment.
I particularly liked the way Eddie Ward spoke to the players - very direct; you knew he was boss and there was no arguments - and called the players by their numbers. Surely refs should return to calling them by their numbers, not the nicknames. For a start, a ref is not a friend of any player. He is an impartial judge, so why the familiarity? Also, how do today's refs know the nicknames of all the players? Their time would be better spent studying the rules than the cute names players go by.
On-field refs will always make some mistakes, but these days with the video ref highlighting errors it leads to a lot more whingeing. The video ref shouldn't exist. It is costing a fortune and causing more arguments than it is worth. Sillier is the fact that it can only rule on certain things - and common sense is not one of them.

I've never watched a replay of the 95 Grand Final so not sure how good my memory is.....? but i remember watching on the day and being frustrated by how poor we were.
Like we never got into the game and the dogs looked like sure things from the 1st minute. I remember feeling disappointed at how we played rather than robbed. Specially since we'd been so good all year.

I've never watched a replay of the 95 Grand Final so not sure how good my memory is.....? but i remember watching on the day and being frustrated by how poor we were.
Like we never got into the game and the dogs looked like sure things from the 1st minute. I remember feeling disappointed at how we played rather than robbed. Specially since we'd been so good all year.
Yeah this. It was a huge let down and very disappointing from a team as good as it was.

We should of smacked them going into it . I think T lamb was a dirty grub and got 10 in the bin when we were attacking, and we still couldn't capitalize. As disappointing as the 97 gf , refuse to watch either again.

Yeah that was the unfortunate thing about the 1995 GF, we just didn't play well. We'd already beaten the Dogs 30-0 earlier in the year at Parramatta Stadium as well as finishing as minor premiers with the Dogs just scraping into 6th spot. I got the feeling on the day that we thought all we needed was to turn up and the Winfield Cup was ours.

Regardless of the forward pass try or the 7th tackle try, two teams ran onto the SFS that day and only one was mentally ready to play. I mean, we had the best attack in the 1995 ARL season with 687 points (the next best was Canberra with 634) and we didn't even score a try in the GF, our only points came from 2 Matthew Ridge penalty goals.

Unfortunately the Grand Final was our worst performance of the year.

Interestingly, when he was interviewed on the ground after our Prelim Final win over Newcastle, I remember Paul Harragon being asked who he thought would win the GF and he said the Dogs because he thought they wanted it more.

We made up for it in 1996 though. That day (the first live Manly game I saw) we made sure of it.

Yeah that was the unfortunate thing about the 1995 GF, we just didn't play well. We'd already beaten the Dogs 30-0 earlier in the year at Parramatta Stadium as well as finishing as minor premiers with the Dogs just scraping into 6th spot. I got the feeling on the day that we thought all we needed was to turn up and the Winfield Cup was ours.

Regardless of the forward pass try or the 7th tackle try, two teams ran onto the SFS that day and only one was mentally ready to play. I mean, we had the best attack in the 1995 ARL season with 687 points (the next best was Canberra with 634) and we didn't even score a try in the GF, our only points came from 2 Matthew Ridge penalty goals.

Unfortunately the Grand Final was our worst performance of the year.

Interestingly, when he was interviewed on the ground after our Prelim Final win over Newcastle, I remember Paul Harragon being asked who he thought would win the GF and he said the Dogs because he thought they wanted it more.

We made up for it in 1996 though. That day (the first live Manly game I saw) we made sure of it.
In most cases you have to lose one to win one . Dogs got smoked in 94 by the raiders then reversed it , same as 07 with us .

I felt Crocker KO on Stewart was a major reason we lost 07.
We were in the match till that point
Although the Storm were giving it to us in the first half, we were very much still in the game. I reckon the game turned not because Snake was taken out, it was our forwards who didn't come in and attack that Crocker grub. They knew then that we didn't have the fire to fight for the GF.

I was at the 1995 grand final and sat in line with that forward pass. In fact it was an offside pass and should've been penalised. Price was in front of dymock when he received the ball. The players blew up, the Manly fans blew up, the neutrals around us couldn't believe it and the dogs supporters just laughed!

Then there was the 7th tackle try and then another try off a forward pass.

Poor old Eddie just couldn't cope in that game. Too old to keep up.

Funny thing is, they disallowed another try of theirs for a forward pass yet I thought that one was fine.

As much as I wanted to scream robbed, we just didn't turn up on the day and you could feel it out there.

The dogs had so much momentum going into that game, I don't think they were ever going to lose.

And to Tooves credit, when he was interviewed after the game and asked about the decisions, he just said the better team won.

A missed opportunity for us. Dominant all year but nothing to show for it.

Thank God for 1996!

Although the Storm were giving it to us in the first half, we were very much still in the game. I reckon the game turned not because Snake was taken out, it was our forwards who didn't come in and attack that Crocker grub. They knew then that we didn't have the fire to fight for the GF.
Down by 6 at halftime and were still in it . Yep and the 42nd minute crocker took stewart out . Wanker.

What a great segment.
I particularly liked the way Eddie Ward spoke to the players - very direct; you knew he was boss and there was no arguments - and called the players by their numbers. Surely refs should return to calling them by their numbers, not the nicknames. For a start, a ref is not a friend of any player. He is an impartial judge, so why the familiarity? Also, how do today's refs know the nicknames of all the players? Their time would be better spent studying the rules than the cute names players go by.
On-field refs will always make some mistakes, but these days with the video ref highlighting errors it leads to a lot more whingeing. The video ref shouldn't exist. It is costing a fortune and causing more arguments than it is worth. Sillier is the fact that it can only rule on certain things - and common sense is not one of them.
Yes, I agree with this post.

When you consider that the referee is there to make impartial decisions, any "friendly" behaviour towards players could be construed anyway you like...of course it's probably completely innocent, but still it's just not a good look.

I was too young to remember much of 95 but from what I have heard, Manly were great all season and flat on the big day that mattered.

Obviously I have watched the 96 GF on DVD and have to say that Ridge was well and truly tackled, so any 7 tackle set from 95 was in some ways nullified the following year.

I was too young to remember much of 95 but from what I have heard, Manly were great all season and flat on the big day that mattered.

Obviously I have watched the 96 GF on DVD and have to say that Ridge was well and truly tackled, so any 7 tackle set from 95 was in some ways nullified the following year.
Didn't look 'well and truly tackled' to me, had momentum, was in front of Brown and running away, trying to hold onto him by the fingertips is hardly 'well and truly tackled'...

from approx. the 5:50 mark

and sorry to be a pain, but an incident in a different game from a different year 'nullifies' another incident.....FFS

Probably the strongest Manly team I ever saw, but unfortunately, for whatever reason, played their worst game in that grand final all year.
We will remember 2008 much much more fondly.
NYEagle

I was at the 1995 grand final and sat in line with that forward pass. In fact it was an offside pass and should've been penalised. Price was in front of dymock when he received the ball. The players blew up, the Manly fans blew up, the neutrals around us couldn't believe it and the dogs supporters just laughed!
We get a penalty, score at the other end, momentum changes and magically it looks like we did turn up.
Well at least that's how it happened in some far more just parallel universe. ;)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4