1989 revisited??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle66

Bencher
Due to the Monday night game this week and a double hernia operation, I watched a few games from 1989. That season was pretty tumultuous, the coach got the flick, Vautin, Daley, Shearer, Shaw, Gately, Burke all goners. Other players told to look elsewhere if they weren't happy.
Some of the seasons problems were (obviously) not winning. Brookvale Oval playing field was pitiful. A bog heap from the start of the season to the end which hampered Manly's play. A lot of close losses and a bad start to the season losing the first 3 or four matches. Noel Cleal played only about 3 games during the season (and returned through the reggies with a couple of weeks to go).
Funny how the Club survived with the core group of players, Toovey, Lyons, Hasler, Cleal, Cochrane,O'Connor, Jones, Cunningham and Dunford. Let's not forget the newbies, Ridge, Roberts and Bella. 1990 and 1991 can be looked upon as good seasons and the rest is history.
Time will tell us what will evolve from the scoop reporting of Wiedler (haha).
The obvious outcomes is they want out or they want contract upgrades/extensions to see out their careers.

Actually 1989 was a difficult year for me personally, and I do remember the upheavals and disappointments Manly-wise too.

The Graham Lowe led ''revival'' was slow and modest, but survive we did.

And I'm confident that same prognosis will be applied now; whatever does or doesn't happen in the next few months and beyond.

Especially with Tooves and Killer at the helm, I'm disappointed right now, but not overly worried.

And despite it all we're shaping as a good a chance as any to win this year!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6