1980 Brooky Brawl

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Don't care what the NRL says, but everybody loves a good brawl. Good clip eagle66.

Don't care what the NRL says, but everybody loves a good brawl. Good clip eagle66.

Poor 'ol camera man didn't know who to stay with.lol
I hadn't seen that one before. Keep 'em coming Eagle66...love it.

You would always get down to Brooky early when Manly were playing Wests back then as there were brawls through all 3 grades........

Forestville junior Freddy Teasdell made his 1st grade debut in that game and played very well.

It was great all-in. I was on the Hill - probably just south of where the booze hut is now.

My friend Laurie, who was about 10 years old, probably inspired by that brawl, got into a punch up on the stairs of the brookie grandstand at half time of that game. I'll never forget Rex Mossop at some point in the telecast giving some sermon about violence and its effect on children, citing that fight and the fact that half the ground were cheering it on. They were wild times.

There was also an almighty brawl the year before Manly V Wests in May 1979. I remember it clearly because I was on the fence on the hill side.

Max Krillich was king hit and (I think) Dallas Donnelly, Bruce Gibbs, Stephen Knight and Magilla Thompson were sent off. I had lots of newspaper cuttings in a Manly scrapbook I kept as a kid and lost some years ago in a house move.

Does anyone remember it? It may explain Max Krillich's behaviour in the 1980 brawl - maybe a payback.

I vaguely recall a brawl in 79. But the most famous brawl and the one that started the whole silvertail fibro thing was the rolling brawl that was the 1978 game at lidcome oval - it was featured in a recent ABC documentary on the Manly wests rivalry. I was an 8 year old sitting at the top of the stairs in the stand. Steve knight sent off, Terry Randall assaulted at every hit up, Dallas donnelly, Bruce Gibbs, Les Boyd. Everytime I go past Lidcome oval in a train and see that old stand I think of it.....

Michael D said:
There was also an almighty brawl the year before Manly V Wests in May 1979. I remember it clearly because I was on the fence on the hill side.

Max Krillich was king hit and (I think) Dallas Donnelly, Bruce Gibbs, Stephen Knight and Magilla Thompson were sent off. I had lots of newspaper cuttings in a Manly scrapbook I kept as a kid and lost some years ago in a house move.

Does anyone remember it? It may explain Max Krillich's behaviour in the 1980 brawl - maybe a payback.

Wests won that 1979 game - 17-10 (I think).
It was Dallas and Tarzan Knight who were sent off. Knight was going ape**** and Magilla handled himself pretty well too. Graham Eadie copped a nasty Christmas hold in that game as well.

Phantar said:
Michael D said:

Wests won that 1979 game - 17-10 (I think).
It was Dallas and Tarzan Knight who were sent off. Knight was going ape**** and Magilla handled himself pretty well too. Graham Eadie copped a nasty Christmas hold in that game as well.

I remember the game well. Also remember there being at least a 4 page spread about it in the DT or RLW.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2