1977 MW NS- Johnny Gibbs the maestro!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Johnny Gibbs was one of my all-time favourites. Could have been who-knows-what?
I can't think of a more elusive dynamic runner from half-back.
Mortimer? Nup, Gibbsy had him covered.
He could tackle too, generally utilised in a cover-defending role.
From memory, the hamstring injury that curtailed and eventually cruelled his career occurred while making a (successful) try-saving tackle on a Parramatta winger (Glover? Grothe?) during a semi-final...
Back in the day, when I couldn't attend many matches and when most were not televised ... fertile ground for the imagination!

Johnny Gibbs was one of my all-time favourites. Could have been who-knows-what?
I can't think of a more elusive dynamic runner from half-back.
Mortimer? Nup, Gibbsy had him covered.
He could tackle too, generally utilised in a cover-defending role.
From memory, the hamstring injury that curtailed and eventually cruelled his career occurred while making a (successful) try-saving tackle on a Parramatta winger (Glover? Grothe?) during a semi-final...
Back in the day, when I couldn't attend many matches and when most were not televised ... fertile ground for the imagination!
Big fan of the mercurial Johnny Gibbs and as you say it was a tragedy that his career ended before he could peak to even greater heights .
Explosive , Dynamic , Unpredictably Evasive and he inflicted the final insult to the opposition with his blinding acceleration and as we all know Speed thrills and kills !
The moral of the story ...
THE FASTER THE PLAYER IS
THE BIGGER MESS HE MAKES OUT OF THE OPPOSITION !!!
6a0120a69a4ad9970c01a511447363970c.png

While everyone's favorite player in the 70's growing up was Fulton or Eadie, I fell in love with Gibbsy's blinding acceleration and that inimitable head back running style.
Saw him chip and chase twice in one movement to score a try once, I think against Norths in the lower grades.
A shame such a brilliant player was dogged by serious injury, cutting short his career with Manly, and the number of rep games he would have played for NSW and Australia.

Recall Gibbsy playing at least one full match as a 5 / 8 in i st grade for Manly [ against the Eels i think ] and at full back also at some stage of his Sea Eagles career so he had a bit of versatility to his footy playing also . Certainly was blessed with some great natural speed and acceleration and must have been a real crowd pleaser when at his playing best . Though a great individual player , always thought that Steve ' Whiz " Martin was still a slightly better fit at half back during some of those crucial and memorable final"s play off"s in the 1978 series ,[ and when Gibbsy was injured early on or just prior to the finals ] and including the G F and replay . Still got to go on the 78 Kangaroo tour so some real consolation there and despite his injury issues on that tour , a good testimony to his outstanding ability as a footy player

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8