12 Gauge Rant

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I didn't think we would bleed 40 points in one game this year especially against the Sharks. The defense was poor especially in the backs. And our halves were abysmal. The first half was telling with and without the ball. One try form a number of possessions in their 22 and they scored almost at will. I hope we don't see that type of performance again this year. We need x factor in the backs.

I get the point here, but yesterday was a lack of energy across the park.
Even Thommo was grabbing in defence and the contacts were won by Sharks with and without the ball all day, hungrier would be an understatement....
AFB as spoken about was the best forward and Sirro had a dig, but the others simply were not interested yesterday, looking for that "Soft Win", but once Sharks rolled up the sleeves and made it a battle, all seemed a little hard for our boys to compete.
There was a patch at 6-6 where Manly looked to be winning some momentum and then this reverse penalty against DCE swung it to a 12 point Sharks lead in the space of 5 minutes.
This is not an excuse, as usually a good team with winning mentality will overcome adversity, but yesterday there were only 2-3 who were prepared to get into the fight...it was a disappointing performance.
Also found it a boring performance, to play hard basic footy could have been a winning combination, but take out the "Hard" part and it's just basic footy, which made it even harder to watch....been a while since I had so little enjoyment watching the Seaeagles in action...

The team does lack one mongrel forward ,I thought Jetski might have been that player coming off the bench that can turn the team around but it’s not looking that way , Keppie is capable
Once Marty and AFB come off and the team is not in control of the game they just try and get through but if you had the type of player Woodsie is looking for that would make a hell of difference to this team

I wonder if Marty's assumed/inherent seniority stifles/interferes with AFB's aggression on field?

Look at the game where Marty went off with his broken thumb - Addin went back on the field & absolutely bossed the opposition & pretty much won the game for us.

When I saw Marty was starting on the bench yesterday with AFB & Keppie starting props I thought it was a great idea, as I reckon we're better with only 1 of AFB & Marty on the field at a time.

AFB seems to take full control when Marty's off the field but can sometimes go quiet when they're both on it.

Perhaps he defers to Marty, being the older of the 2 of them?

I didn't think we would bleed 40 points in one game this year especially against the Sharks. The defense was poor especially in the backs. And our halves were abysmal. The first half was telling with and without the ball. One try form a number of possessions in their 22 and they scored almost at will. I hope we don't see that type of performance again this year. We need x factor in the backs.
Passion was the X factor that we did not take on the field with us

Our forward pack .... talented and skillful to a man ... in a gentleman's contest they are almost unbeatable ...

But bugger me sideways ... not one of them would bruise a peach ... couldn't knock the skin off a custard tart ...

Parra, Roosters, Canberra, Storm, Melb, Penrith, et al ... all have a couple of mongrel throw-backs that approach the game like chess .. the object being to remove as many of the opposing men as possible ... blokes that like to hear the sound of breaking bones ... blokes that go into a tackle with the intention to hurt .....we have a bunch of lovely blokes you would invite home to meet mum ...

Our interpretation of an enforcer is someone who will cuddle a bloke to the ground ...

Yes they are good ... yes they will win plenty of games ... but in a dog fight ... they would be licking arses while the other dog went for the throat ...

We have a score of minus 7 on the intimidation scale ... opposing teams have a photo of our players lifting heavy weights in the gym ... and have a laugh while throwing darts at it ...
You quite rightly mentioned that Canberra has one of the mongrel packs
It was only the game before the Sharks loss where our team took the field without 3 of the starting players followed by another 3 players out with injuries in the game and with a depleted bench we recorded the most courageous win . 6 players out is just about half a team That is unquestionable grit and resilience at its best
The moral of the story
What a difference a week makes
What a difference ATTITUDE makes

Think our forwards are fine just a bit of an off day yesterday it’s however our backline that’s well short on depth as once you take 2-3 out we virtually have no quality fill ins.

Funa is work in progress , he will get better but I’ve never been a Froggy fan and let’s face it Elliott probably wouldn’t be named in first grade in any other team.

But I guess that’s the down side of having three players on about 3 million in the salary cap era.
Totally agree... after 20min jake looked more tired than I can remember seeing him after 80... commentators said the team didnt train till Wed cause they were so sore... it's one (bad) game....

Our forward pack .... talented and skillful to a man ... in a gentleman's contest they are almost unbeatable ...

But bugger me sideways ... not one of them would bruise a peach ... couldn't knock the skin off a custard tart ...

Parra, Roosters, Canberra, Storm, Melb, Penrith, et al ... all have a couple of mongrel throw-backs that approach the game like chess .. the object being to remove as many of the opposing men as possible ... blokes that like to hear the sound of breaking bones ... blokes that go into a tackle with the intention to hurt .....we have a bunch of lovely blokes you would invite home to meet mum ...

Our interpretation of an enforcer is someone who will cuddle a bloke to the ground ...

Yes they are good ... yes they will win plenty of games ... but in a dog fight ... they would be licking arses while the other dog went for the throat ...

We have a score of minus 7 on the intimidation scale ... opposing teams have a photo of our players lifting heavy weights in the gym ... and have a laugh while throwing darts at it ...

Yeah, i miss the old days too.
Very few of my favorite players are backs, freakin nancies

i think teams know they have played manly , we look jaded. This effort based game is pretty hard to sustain over a season.

Its a 6 - 8 week run at the back end of the season kind of ploy.

Yep. Zac Saddler, Guaca and Sippers are three young forwards we haven't tried yet. It may be time to introduce them this season, one at a time.
But it's our backs that need an injection of life. We all knew losing Turbo would hurt but he is so vital to our attack that our hopes look shot without him.
Yeah young saddler I like look of aggresive

This is a gee up right. Did you not watch the collisions in the Canberra match? Did you even watch the parra match, those impacts were huge. Parra got away to an unbeatable lead, yet we fought back - through the forwards if you can remember, absolutely giving it too parra until they started to wilt!

I get where you are coming from watching Paeska - he needs to get some mongrel in him, but the rest of the pack wouldn't take a backward step against any pack! In fact, when we get a roll on not sure there is a pack that would contain us baring Roosters! Its very hard to back it up week in week out, watching Parra, they seem to get run down every game in the last 20 mins. Roosters smashed them, we should of scored 3 tries in the last 10 to win it and Canberra almost came over the top of them as well.

Lets judge them at the end of the season. I'm not concerned at all about Manly s pack, its the lack of depth in the halves and hooker plus the reliance on Tom. Very hard to over come the injuries we have, players will have to step up and play out of their skins until we get a full squad back.

Pretty sure Marty is still playing with a busted finger just to be out there, every tackle he made he winced in pain and was shaking it

This is a gee up right. Did you not watch the collisions in the Canberra match? Did you even watch the parra match, those impacts were huge. Parra got away to an unbeatable lead, yet we fought back - through the forwards if you can remember, absolutely giving it too parra until they started to wilt!

and that is exactly the problem ... if our tactics are to allow other teams to use us as punching bags for 60 mins ... only to come back in the lat 20 when they get tired of bitch slapping us .... we are not going to win too many semi finals ....

and that is exactly the problem ... if our tactics are to allow other teams to use us as punching bags for 60 mins ... only to come back in the lat 20 when they get tired of bitch slapping us .... we are not going to win too many semi finals ....
ah woodsie, you see, other teams cannot maintain it for 80 mins, Manly can! Don't win games in the first 60 mins, need to play for the full 80 mins (just ignore that last game though) @;)

ah woodsie, you see, other teams cannot maintain it for 80 mins, Manly can! Don't win games in the first 60 mins, need to play for the full 80 mins (just ignore that last game though) @;)

So ... your tactics remain ... waiting and hoping the other team tires ... as I said .... ain't gonna win to many games at the pointy end if that is our reality ... be easier to get a couple of mongrel forwards and win the whole 80 mins ...

So ... your tactics remain ... waiting and hoping the other team tires ... as I said .... ain't gonna win to many games at the pointy end if that is our reality ... be easier to get a couple of mongrel forwards and win the whole 80 mins ...
We have the mongrel, we dont wait til they tire, we tire them out!

Im just joking anyway, I think we have the mongrel - just need to be better in a lot of areas, it will help with a full squad and personally I would swap Paeska for Sipley or Boyle and Waddell for Jetski. Those two in particular seem very soft

We have the mongrel, we dont wait til they tire, we tire them out!

Im just joking anyway, I think we have the mongrel - just need to be better in a lot of areas, it will help with a full squad and personally I would swap Paeska for Sipley or Boyle and Waddell for Jetski. Those two in particular seem very soft
Joel Thompson, Curtis Sironen, AFB, Marty Tapau, Jake, Sean Keppie... No mongrel? I’d pay good money to witness someone say as much to them in the sheds.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4