10 weeks ago.....potential spooners....should we be happy?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm with the OP...

I was seriously wondering how we would avoid the spoon and got used to the idea of missing the finals months ago...to get so close and claim some big scalps along the way made the season feel more worthwhile.

Spot on

Arthur knows our plays and shut down snake most times he came into the back line. In fact Parra seems to know our play book better than theirs. Maybe they don't have one

A good coach would have known this and changed out game plan and attacking structure.

Parra have a game plan - give it to Radradrararara

Ok, today sucked. I was at the game, and to be honest this one (and last week) were my big worries for our run home. I felt (and still do) that we will beat the Roosters next week, but the Raiders/Eels games have had me worried.

But 10 weeks ago I (like many others) saw us looking down the barrel of our first Wooden Spoon, I was seriously wondering where the wins were going to come from. To have put ourselves in a situation where we could have made the semis showed a remarkable turnaround and I've loved the last couple of weeks. And let me say I am stoked we wont get the spoon.

Now I don't want to just paper over the cracks, but I'm still excited about the finish to the season we've had (and can still have), and where that puts us next year with the Turbos, Demetrious, Gutherson, and then Brown, Myles, Lussick, Api.
I am pretty satisfied considering the amount of crap that has gone down this year,especially when we were at the bottom of the table facing a wooden spoon. Although,we should have done better considering that some of the teams that beat us did not play that well and the fact that we never made them pay. I have said it all along that our biggest problem is our ball handling and it came to light in yesterday's game. it was always going to happen as we could not keep winning games playing that way. Our luck ran out. With the right frame of mind we could of been the first team to make history by reaching a grandfinal from the bottom of the ladder and god knows we had the players to do it. But all in all we had some good patches of play which was what was giving me hope.

The rain played a huge hand in yesterdays result, because our forward pack is not the biggest and it's only been effective over the last couple of months because we've moved the bigger packs around with ball movement. In the wet, this ball movement is not easy and we found that out yesterday.

Several things went against us yesterday - and I think the most important was the delivery out of dummy half once we lost Ballin. Every time our halves got the ball, they had defence rushing up on them, so no time to deliver decent plays. Yes, our forwards were soft as well, which didn't help our momentum at all, but the whole backline looked flat-footed due to slow, ineffective delivery from dummy half which was partly the fact we had forwards or Foran in there, partly 'cos our forwards were slow getting up. And the refs were **** at policing the ruck.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
The rain played a huge hand in yesterdays result, because our forward pack is not the biggest and it's only been effective over the last couple of months because we've moved the bigger packs around with ball movement. In the wet, this ball movement is not easy and we found that out yesterday.
Gee. Imagine if we'd played against a good, big pack, like Easts, Cowboys, the Dogs . . .

What got me cranky was how we were continual white anted internally. Tooves did an incredible job in trying to play the games for this year, 14 players were told they were not wanted, and with still 5 games of regular season and finals up for grabs. The staff were slowly and continual sent packing. OK there has been a massive clean out but why go out of your way to destroy this season (answers obvious to me anyway). There seemed no respect for the personnel that have been successful over a period of time.

It will be amazing if we achieve the success next we have had this YEAR. Normally for success you need deep rooted passion and commitment. Compare the Rabbitohs this year to last year. I think it will take us some time to regain that level of commitment. It does not come from just paying players well, or getting good players. It comes from respect and desire.

I hope I'm wrong.

Not happy at all. Was only going to be happy making the 8 and knocking a few off (playing to our potential)

Very disappointing season - although not over yet, maybe we get some luck over the next 2 weeks?
It's far from over yet, our games aren't easy but they are winnable. Dragons games seem easy but they are loseable. We can do this, and give the finals a shake if we scrape in. Ballin out hurts though, but Mason comes back. Would like to see tooves play Lawrence on the bench for Hasson.

What got me cranky was how we were continual white anted internally. Tooves did an incredible job in trying to play the games for this year, 14 players were told they were not wanted, and with still 5 games of regular season and finals up for grabs. The staff were slowly and continual sent packing.

It's a tricky situation. The Penns decided, for whatever reason, that they wanted a new coach. That meant they had to negotiate mid-season or miss out on the best options available. Similarly with the players and staff, best for all concerned that decisions are made relatively early. Theoretically not ideal, and quite problematic, but practically necessary. I would have preferred they handled this tricky situation with a bit more class. For example, by Peters talking up (rather than implicitly talking down) the contributions of Toovs and the players released.

It's the combinations that build team success. And even quality players/coaches need to be released to fit in with revised strategies. Especially when resources/salary caps are limited. I may not agree with some decisions made, but I doubt the Penns will lose any sleep over that.

Last edited:
It's far from over yet, our games aren't easy but they are winnable. Dragons games seem easy but they are loseable. We can do this, and give the finals a shake if we scrape in. Ballin out hurts though, but Mason comes back. Would like to see tooves play Lawrence on the bench for Hasson.
I like the way you think.
I backed us for the 8 when we were last, I haven't thrown the ticket away yet ;)

I am Happy based on the start of the season, I am not happy with the season overall.

With everything on the line today, we lost to Parra / Arthur / Watmough (even though he was out) at Brookie.

2-0 to Parra-Arthur this year and they knock us out of the semi-finals race.

We should've been spilling blood for one another, yet played like girls.

I'm pretty disappointed. And that p/ss-weak effort ain't Toovey's fault.

I agree Bandit.

It could easily be said that the players tanked the last few games of 2014 and the first half of the 2015 season.

They only got their groove back a few weeks ago and showed us what they could do. After 2V was shown the door.

It can easily be argued that there were a lot of injuries but it could equally be argued there was no commitment there either.

IMHO I don't think we can make the playoffs. So much for 'not on my watch' statements earlier in the year.

However, I'd be extremely happy to be proven wrong.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2