‘It defies logic’: Why Manly and Cronulla aren’t feeling the Magic

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

EaglesDontTweet

Bencher
Premium Member
I recall a post by @Mitch suggesting Mestrov was keen to put an end to losing a home game to Magic Round...

By Christian Nicolussi
April 29, 2023 — 7.45pm

Baffled Manly and Cronulla officials say the decision to ask them to ‘host’ Magic Round games against Brisbane’s two home-grown franchises next week “defies logic”.

The Sea Eagles will be the home side when they take on the Broncos in a Friday-night top-four blockbuster, a fixture they have been involved in the past four Magic Rounds, but also something the new Manly management want nothing to do with in 2024.

Playing the Broncos at 4 Pines Park would have been a guaranteed sellout, and while Manly stand to earn around $300,000 for taking a game to Suncorp Stadium, they know they will need to contend with a parochial crowd whose interest in their own club has reached fever pitch because of their position on top of the NRL ladder.
The Sharks, too, are hardly thrilled about hosting a game against the Dolphins. The NRL newcomers have exceeded expectations and will be buoyed by the occasion of Wayne Bennett’s 900th game on Saturday evening. The Sharks hope the supercoach’s milestone will not hijack their own game.

Manly boss Tony Mestrov and Sharks counterpart Dino Mezzatesta will ask the NRL to ensure they do not meet the Broncos or Dolphins at Suncorp next year. Both clubs are contracted to host a game next year at Magic Round, which will again be played in Brisbane.

“If you look at it this deal, it defies logic - why would Manly want to play a home game against the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium,” Mestrov said. “When I first came into this job it was one of the first things I asked about. We will certainly be looking at the contract when it is up at the end of next year. All we want is a level playing field; moving forward all we want is to not play a Brisbane team in Brisbane.”

The Sharks have won three in a row but know the Dolphins will need little motivation given Bennett’s achievement. There will be a presentation for Bennett after full-time.

“There are two Brisbane clubs now, which means two clubs have to host them in Brisbane, which doesn’t make sense,” Mezzatesta said.

Full Story Link:

I recall a post by @Mitch suggesting Mestrov was keen to put an end to losing a home game to Magic Round...

By Christian Nicolussi
April 29, 2023 — 7.45pm

Baffled Manly and Cronulla officials say the decision to ask them to ‘host’ Magic Round games against Brisbane’s two home-grown franchises next week “defies logic”.

The Sea Eagles will be the home side when they take on the Broncos in a Friday-night top-four blockbuster, a fixture they have been involved in the past four Magic Rounds, but also something the new Manly management want nothing to do with in 2024.

Playing the Broncos at 4 Pines Park would have been a guaranteed sellout, and while Manly stand to earn around $300,000 for taking a game to Suncorp Stadium, they know they will need to contend with a parochial crowd whose interest in their own club has reached fever pitch because of their position on top of the NRL ladder.
The Sharks, too, are hardly thrilled about hosting a game against the Dolphins. The NRL newcomers have exceeded expectations and will be buoyed by the occasion of Wayne Bennett’s 900th game on Saturday evening. The Sharks hope the supercoach’s milestone will not hijack their own game.

Manly boss Tony Mestrov and Sharks counterpart Dino Mezzatesta will ask the NRL to ensure they do not meet the Broncos or Dolphins at Suncorp next year. Both clubs are contracted to host a game next year at Magic Round, which will again be played in Brisbane.

“If you look at it this deal, it defies logic - why would Manly want to play a home game against the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium,” Mestrov said. “When I first came into this job it was one of the first things I asked about. We will certainly be looking at the contract when it is up at the end of next year. All we want is a level playing field; moving forward all we want is to not play a Brisbane team in Brisbane.”

The Sharks have won three in a row but know the Dolphins will need little motivation given Bennett’s achievement. There will be a presentation for Bennett after full-time.

“There are two Brisbane clubs now, which means two clubs have to host them in Brisbane, which doesn’t make sense,” Mezzatesta said.

Full Story Link:
Thank f$&k, somebody in an official position for the club is finally voicing for the fans who have been left silenced over this issue for years.

Excellent stuff Mestrov.

I'm happy to take a "home game" to Suncorp for Magic Round.

Why we do it against the Broncos every year on a Friday night defies logic.

Except for the $$$ Penn makes.

And we get to use the beaten up ground early (so our highly paid mega stars don't get injured later in the weekend)....lmao

If Mestrov is quoted correctly you would have to think Penn is onboard. Which is a bit of a 180 turn from him, noting he was apparently the one in favour of the ‘Sub-tropical Parramatta’ home game.

Eight teams have home games in magic round but i don't understand why the broncos and dolphins aren't two of them.
The broncs after magic rd will have played in Sydney once and Darwin. Not left qld otherwise. They have basically played home games all year so far when you consider tgere we’re more broncs fans in Darwin and the split on the GC is 50/50 - possibly even more Broncs heavy.

Weren't we once told the team who's playing it as their home game gets the bigger slice of gate takings?

Has there been a change and now are we just paid to play?

Or is the real issue we haven't had a win there for a couple of years now, and we'd like a different foe?

The broncs after magic rd will have played in Sydney once and Darwin. Not left qld otherwise. They have basically played home games all year so far when you consider tgere we’re more broncs fans in Darwin and the split on the GC is 50/50 - possibly even more Broncs heavy.
If any team deserves so many home games in a row it's the Warriors, after what they did to keep the comp going through covid.

Magic round should be there this year but hey that's commonsense so pvl would never go with it
It would be costly and the time zones would be tricky, but as the nrl is so well run and in a good financial position it should be a piece of cake...

At the end of round 10 the donkeys will have played at Suncorp 7 times, including our "home' game.
Completely unfair situation. Now the phins are in the comp an easy fix is the two brissies play each other. Other solution, scrap the whole stupid concept.

At the end of round 10 the donkeys will have played at Suncorp 7 times, including our "home' game.
Completely unfair situation. Now the phins are in the comp an easy fix is the two brissies play each other. Other solution, scrap the whole stupid concept.
I like the magic round concept. Been once - last year. We got touched up. But it’s still a good time and a fun weekend.

It is madness to give the donkeys a home game at our expense. They hate playing at Brookvale! Our crowd give them a special welcome like they do with the drizzle! If anything it should alternate each year so that we play as an away team at magic round!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4