Wynnum's reasons for dissolving Manly Partnership!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mata - maybe Zorba didn't actually get the message?

Try putting the message under his lunch next time as he will be sure to get it then.

Put the slip of paper under a bottle of Scotch and he'll find it.

Mata - maybe Zorba didn't actually get the message?

Ryan - what Matabele refers to was a tip off from a Rugby League jounalist in the Riverina. I personally left a message on his voice mail and he couldn't even do the courtesy of returning my call.

In his defence he might not know how to retrieve his voice mail messages. :~?

Wouldn't it have been better to call crusher with the information seeing that he is the recruitment officer?

With his supposed vast network of talent scouts surely he had one in the riverina and would have know about these players anyway?

Maybe he did approach them but Manly couldn't match the rorters money?

Lack of response/information from club officials seems to be the norm for this club. It reeks of arrogance and dismisal of the fans opinions/input as though they are not important.

Not unlike your current employer eh wheel? And I know how much admiration you (and other employees) have for your current and past management.

Tookey

I called the club phone number, spoke to the receptionist, explained my call (ie give a tip on a player) & they put me thru to Zorba - what more can a koala bear!

What I can say is this player was being courted by Don Furner on behalf of the Raiders, however 1 month after I (& Manly) were tipped off Arthur Beeston approached this young guy and not only signed him but also another young player.

OK he could give me a wide birth on the player tip but he didn't do the courtesy a returning my call - I specifically said on the message I was a member of the club - not some parent trying to flogged their under achieving kid!

How many businesses get away not responding or ignoring a customer contact - most would be broke within 12 months.

My current employer - well the less said the better. The fact that I spend more time talking footy than working says it all!

I agree that he should have called you back or at the very least had crusher call you.

Business' don't survive without looking after their clients. No wonder their football membership is so poor. Why pay to get ignored when you can do it for free.

Having a strong junior development program seems to be important more than ever in the modern game and the tigers have shown this year what can be acheived with a good program.

The fact that there is no real junior development program at the club is certainly one of the main problems along with rumoured cash flow issues over the next 12 months.

It is hard to see where the club is going to generate more income from as the leagues club is not really attracting large numbers of people to it and no-one is supposedly taking up the tender for the development of the carpark.

The Leagues club is a dump at the moment - poorly designed, out dated interior decorations, below average food outlets and poker machines that don't pay. They are struggling now with the pokie tax however it will be doubling over the next 2 years therefore they will be battling to give the footy team a cent.

Actually have a look at the Leagues Club board and you should be able to see a common issue.

The Leagues club is a dump at the moment - poorly designed, out dated interior decorations, below average food outlets and poker machines that don't pay. They are struggling now with the pokie tax however it will be doubling over the next 2 years therefore they will be battling to give the footy team a cent.

Actually have a look at the Leagues Club board and you should be able to see a common issue.
Why do you think the club is so desperate to pander to the centrelink denizens of its supporter base? Probably because these are the only types who will part with their hard earned in a crumbledown palace like the Leagues Club in its current state.

Harbord Diggers is a ****hole and it's going backwards at a rate of knots - and at least it has a view. The only thing the Leagues club has going for it is 12 home games involving Manly.

IF the guts of that place aren't pulled out in the next two years and replaced with a decent nite club, passable food and an upmarket bar, she'll be bye bye baby.

That club wouldn't make a quid even if it was relocated to redneck city Dubbo. That's because it's not up to par with the Dubbo RSL.

I reckon the Diggers is a sweet joint !! Great outlook, very open forum in the main section, a night club section that is quite modern.

The Leagues club is an entirely different matter. Look at Brookvale Hotel to see what a refurbishment can do !!!

Diggers has a great view but it was seedy inside that night when we werere there Ryan (and you hadn't spiked my drink bad enough that I can't remember).

Given it's location it was dissapointing to walk into the place and find it's little better than most of the pubs out here that have seen more cowboys than paintbrushes over the past two decades.

The problem is that the club doesn't have the money to undertake a refurbishment and is unlikely to ever have.

Without a strong leagues club pumping out millions of dollars a year in proifit the football club is always going to suffer. The reaility is that until manly win a premiership again no sponsor is going to shell out big bucks. Then if you don't have the big bucks you can't buy players.

I suppose that have sold off just about ever other asset they own for next to nothing so maybe they can sell off the club as well.

Maybe Norths leagues club will buy it? LOL

The real problem is this.

The Brookvale Hotel pays its 30% Company tax (after slinging a few thousand at an inventive accountant that minimises the figure as much as possible through some inventive depreciation) and then has the rest available to go into the pocket or, for the prudent businessman, available for re-investment.

You bank men would know that financing a refurbishment for a private venture like that is also an attractive proposition because they're bringing equity to the table and, more than likely, a good net profit figure going forward. Seeing as "risk" doesn't appear in your dictionary, they'll get the cash.

In contrast the Leagues Club is little more than a private benelovent institution, without the goodwill. It's post tax profits are poured into the running costs of another institution so there's no rainy day cash in the kitty for the most part - hence no dough for reinvigoration. It's not even as though the profit transfer is an investment, as it's flowing into the black hole vortex of a football club. There's no chance of a return.

Again, you finance men will be looking askance at putting up capital because of the uncertainty of future net profit returns. So, without savvy management and/or a cash injection of some sort, the asset atrophies and dies a slow death.

Perhaps Max isn't so dumb. Maybe he thinks he'll be able to roost over the carcass of a dead Leagues club in five years time and get it for a song.

Question - what would a valuer put on the asset of the LEagues Club, and how much is the club already in hock for?

Reckon there's much leverage there?

The leagues club site would be extremely valuable because it is situated in an area which is one of the few on the beaches which is zoned for car yards.

The surrounding car yards have ploughed millons of dollars into refurbishments over the past couple of years and one could only guess what a Bill Buckle would pay for it if it was up for sale. I would have to say at least $12-15m?

Then there is the car park which would also be worth a couple of millon dollars.

The problem is that they have sold off other asets in the past at fire sale prices. I recall that the car park was leased to travelodge for something like $1.5m for 99 years.

If the club developed the old car park themselves they could have made probably $4-5m which would have paid out most of the clubs debt at the time.

In reality the best thing that could happen for the club is if travelodge decided to pull up stumps and close down. The club could then get the land back and turn it in to units which it should have done in the first place.

Also didn't Max buy the old football club site for something like $400k when it was worth about $3m or did I just imagine it?

Possibly, but isn't there some problem getting a DA for those offices?

Yes - last I heard the neighbours were up in arms about the proposed development and the fact that it was exceeding the high restrictions for the area etc.

I have not heard that anything has been resolved yet. Still if someone is prepared to wait long enough it will eventually get through even if in a slightly modified way.

It would be good to see the current financials on the club to see how they are going.

I understand members get to see the financials. We did last year but they were meaningless, taking in only 2-3 months as they did, and no player payments were included.

We can but hope that this year they send us out some meaningful financial information. However I won't be holding my breath waiting.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8