1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Masters Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Canteen Worker, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    Not sure if anyone else is involved but I have signed up to be part of this event in Sydney this week.

It has about 30 thousand athletes from 95 countries in 28 sports. Went to the opening ceremony tonight and it was a blast. In ANZ stadium and had athletes from all the sports entering in big bunches.

The concert afterwards was sensational with Jessica Mauboy, David Campbell, Leo Sayer and John Paul Young absolutely wowing the stadium.

Was proud to be an Aussie tonight - Sydney knows how to put on good sporting events and a party.

I am playing over 45 soccer and apart from giving away a penalty and missing a sitter with a header that hit my nose rather than my forehead, am enjoying it.

Anyone else involved?

2. The Gronk

The Gronk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    I believe there is a certain Melbourne based touch football champion involved

3. Canteen Worker

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
  4. The Gronk

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    Haha people who have seen the two of us play wouldn't be asking that question. 

Douggie mentioned he had entered a team ,which they called "Australia"

5. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    i didn't realise how old some of you pricks were :)

6. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Very nice of you to be out there supporting DSM5 in his athletic pursuits CW, make sure you give a scathing review of his efforts if they don't measure up

Some of these type of events can be great viewing. About 10 years back I attended the World Paralympic Swimming Champs, and it was amazing. The image of a bloke with no arms or legs competing will stick with me for a long time. (Will wait for the bob jokes from some of the comedians ;) )

7. Canteen Worker

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    The Kiwis I am playing with are a great bunch of blokes - all from Christchurch. Having a ball and we are undefeated at this point.

8. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Us Christchurch blokes get pretty competitive mate, hope you took your drinking boots with you too haha

9. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    how old qualifies for masters?

10. The Gronk

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    I don't think there are too many age limits.  I think the youngest running around is 24. 

Clon and CW are in their 60's though so they fit in fine ;)

11. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    Nice of them to use old masters in the Opening Ceremony.  Leo Sayer and John Paul young must be nearly centurions by now.

12. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    over 35 was my understanding.

13. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    mark geyer was in the touch footy as well i heard

14. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    Peter Fitzsimons is playing rugby and looks like he's swallowed a horse.

For those who haven't realised, CW is that Santa Claus dude that seems to be in every edition of the paper.

15. The Gronk

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    Clon had a run against the Australian touch side in his grouping - sounds like a pretty high standard. 

Judging from the scoreline I don't think they were too pleased that the team had called themselves Australia : 18-2. 

16. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    Was sporting of Clon's team to let them get 2 :)

17. clontaago

clontaago Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Tough tournament, made even harder by getting back to the hotel at 5:30am when your first game is at 9am.

Masters is over 30's.

18. Canteen Worker

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    In swimming Masters starts at 25 and in every other sport it starts at 30. My Over 45 soccer team made the final and we lost to a a team from Wollongong. Missed the game as I was on a school trip, sadly. Was good fun though - just like a kids soccer carnival with a game every day. I loved it, though Kiwi is right in that the Christchurch guys enjoyed a drink, though nothing like Doug's efforts from the sound of it.

19. The Gronk

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    they let you 60 year olds into the 30's and 45's? ;)

20. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    My favorite quote was from a group of kiwi women over for the Games "We are a drinking team with a netball problem!"