1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Manly thrive and will continue to

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by simon64, Apr 30, 2012.

1. simon64

simon64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,084 / 27
    Unlike some other clubs (cough cough dogs cough) Manly identify and develop talent.

Look at our side.

B Stewart....kid, talent but identified and developed by Manly
    G Tafua....raw but the signs look good.
    J Lyon......established quality rep player
    S Matai....one club man. Developed by Manly.
    D Williams....playing park footy. Next thing you know, he's an international.
    K Foran....home grown
    DCE.....QLD cup. From obscurity to international.
    G Stewart...signed with Brett. Drag queens passed on Brett because Gift, evidently, wasn't up to scratch.
    Choc.....Local junior developed by Manly.
    T-Rex....going nowhere at Parra. Developed into an international by Manly.
    B Kite....established first grader who I think had played for Australia
    M Ballin....one club man.
    J King....local junior to representative player

The point is WE IDENTIFY TALENT AND DEVELOP IT. We have a bunch of local juniors. We don't do like some others and eye the talent developed by other clubs. Yes, we bought Killer and Kite, but that's hardly a first grade side.

When BK came to Manly, all the media wanted to do was talk about his battles with injury. (Remember the nickname...the tampon..in one week out for three) We all know what a legend he was.

Manly have developed into a great side. Not just gone shopping. Ironic given the label of the 70's.

2. mickqld

mickqld Sack Greenslime 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +3,746 / 57
    Correct Simon what worries me is it was all developed by Des and Crusher.

3. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    Kite was not an international before he came to Manly. He was a strong Dragons forward but prospered at Brookvale.

4. bennyeagle

bennyeagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +267 / 8
    Jamie Buhrer - Went through the manly system - City rep
    Michael Oldfield - Went through the system - Under 20s Aus Winger
    Dean Whare - From Dragqueens where his options where limited a few games in 2010 - 2011 and he gets a gig in the Under 20,s NZ Squad.

The list goes on !

5. torana355

torana355 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,491 / 27
    True but that is going to be our next big test, hopefully Tooves and Dave Warwick can continue the success. Warwick was the one that brought Foz though not Crusher :)

6. Twin Smith

Twin Smith Member

Sydney, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Look the way I look at it, if the player debuted 1st grade for your club, then you developed them. Bulldogs have 2 - Barba and Reynolds.

The rest have been bought from other clubs. Since $BW walked out they have bought the following players/staff -

Hannant
    Kimmorley
    Ennis
    Stagg
    Eastwood
    Turner
    Morris
    Hodkinson
    Keating
    Tolman
    Graham
    Pritchard
    Goodwin

Ha$ler
    Egan
    Cleal

7. eagles2win

eagles2win Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +494 / 0
    Matai played in the Qld cup prior to joining Manly- Ipswich Jets
    Kite did play in the rlwc in 2000 for Tonga, have heard he might play for them next year[hr]
    Buhrer played 20s for us yes but played Harold Matts and SG Ball for Parra

8. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,351 / 111
    Matai agreed to play Q cup but never got on the park before trialing with Manly and being here ever since from memory.

9. Peter C

Peter C Well-Known Member

Sydney
    Ratings:
    +742 / 16
    I'm fairly certain that Manly has developed more internationals over the last fifty years than any other club

10. Pablo

Pablo Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,342 / 15
    Takes more than 1 decent game to convince me that Reynolds has a future. Plenty of players have showed promise and done nothing. Chan 9 bandwagon is rubbing off on a few people I've noticed!

11. Clint

Clint . Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,654 / 14
    I've noticed Reynolds on a couple of ocassions now. Not sure who it was against, but he had a pretty good game a couple of weeks ago too. Thats when I first noticed him.
    Whether he can go to the next level??? time will tell I guess, but he seems to have a bit of mongrel and drive, so its a good start.
    Just needs to find a new hair salon. That doo is terrible..

12. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,798 / 122
    You may be right.

It might also be true that Manly has bought more internationals. I haven't tried to count them, but wouldn't be surprised.

There is little value in criticising others for trying to buy established stars when we have an excellent record in that area. It is not a record we should apologise for. Furthermore, we were by no means the only club who did that. Apparently Wests were known as the millionaires before we started winning comps, and of course Easts have always been big spenders.

Bottom line is each club has to try to get a winning team, however they can. What we can say is this: it is a great credit to our club's culture and its staff that we are not only able to develop talent, but also able to retain players because they want to be in a successful, happy club.

13. Jonesyv2

Jonesyv2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0
    Umm we bought DCE up through our junior ranks, he was in the side that won the minor u20s premiership in 2009..... he went to QLD Cup in 2010 when Hodko came into the NRL side.....

14. simon64

simon64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,084 / 27
    Fair point Mick but I still think we have the people to continue the development. To be honest, I'm more concerned losing Crusher that De$.

15. Rambo1987

Rambo1987 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +212 / 2
    2009 Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles Grand Final Team
    1 Dennis Sandow
    2 Michael Chapman
    3 Shane Neumann
    4 Andrew Suniula
    5 Ryan Walker
    6 Tony Williams
    7 Trent Hodkinson
    13 Jon Muir
    12 Jon Grieve
    11 Vic Mauro
    10 Junior Palau
    9 Cameron Joyce [c]
    8 Phil Morwood

14 Tim Browne
    15 Adam Cuthbertson
    16 Rob Godfrey
    17 Simon Allen

Coach: Brandon Costin

16. Twin Smith

Twin Smith Member

Sydney, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    I think his hairdo is very fitting for his club.

17. Oneyeagle

Oneyeagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0
    IMO it's the respect the young rookies have for the senior playing group that drives them to become better footy players. Hence overall, being one hell of great Football team.

We are blessed with great mentors and very ambitious kids wanting to learn their trade from the best.

Foran wanted to play and learn more from Jamie, Choc and the Stewarts and that was one of the reason why he stayed.

The trick for Perry and Co is to continue the cycle for the following generation.

18. Peter C

Peter C Well-Known Member

Sydney
    Ratings:
    +742 / 16
    Yes we have bought a lot of internationals over the years, but great players will always gravitate towards great clubs, so you could say that we are victims of our greatness.

19. NewwyEagle

NewwyEagle I sleep in a racing car

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 60
    Crusher wasn't even the one the Dogs wanted, didn't they want Warwick, then take Crusher when Warwick re-signed?
    Interesting stat, during the last off-season, there were two teams that didn't poach from another NRL club, Manly and Canberra.

20. DYEagle

DYEagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 4
    Other Juniors not mentioned;

Michael Oldfield
    Vic Mauro
    Will Hopoate