Who Should be Captain ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Like we did a few years back with Killer and Kingdog, and rather than just demote DCE outright, I would make Jake and Cherry co-captains with Thomson and Taupau as co-vice captains (giving Marty an actual leadership role might help cut down his errors).

Having a leadership group might work better than just one outright leader with everything put on his shoulders. Cherry might be the coolest head when talking to the referees, but he's not really an inspirational leader. Jake is, as is Thommo and Marty. And you could probably throw Walks into the mix as well.

Now we have had a lot of discussions of capatincy and leadership in recent times and rightfully so, it has been awful epitomized by Daly failing to show up for a losing press conference on the back of possibly the worst game he has ever played for the club. The team obviously lacks leadership or the ability to do it. Not sure why but it's confusing, as was everyone I think when Daly was given the captaincy even after Jake captained the side in a couple of games when Killer was unavailable. We need some direction and leaders. Three players stand out as choices for a leadership group.

First is Jake, it's blatantly obvious he should be and will be the captain of the club and possibly at higher parts of the game in representative football. He's a local junior, is passionate, takes every loss hard and will bleed for the club. I'd name him as Captain.

Second is Joel. For what he has done for the game. Off the field he is a leader for the club but also the NRL community. He has been a quietly good buy and has been pretty good and consistent all games. When the team needs an obvious rev up he goes out of his way to lift the boys, going for a big hit or play. He is an experienced player who could give guidance to our younger but also Jake being his deputy. Like Tyrion is too Dany @:p(Game of Thrones reference). Joel as Vice Captain.

The third is Marty Taupau. One thing from the dour Warriors game that stood out for me was Marty and Paseka. Paseka dropped a ball late in game, and you could see he immediately dropped his head and was disappointed. As the boys all stopped for a breather Marty jogged over too Paseka and grabbed him by the jersey and told him basically chin up get back on the horse and make up for it. It was awesome to see. Really inspired me. Along with that he has been our best player or top 3 in all games this year out of both the team and the opposition. Easily the best front rower in the game right now and is always given 100%. I'd place Marty as another Vice Captain.

So that's the leadership group go with to start, with other eventually joining it. But something does have to change on the leadership front, as we can all see we need to change it up.

In times of turmoil leaders emerge, we need some new blood in the leadership stakes. I would love to see Jake promoted to captain, he bleeds maroon and white and he has an unmatched passion for our cause. We need some of the newer players to step up, I have liked what Brian Kelly has done during the turmoil, hes been one of our best this season. Joel Thompson has tried every week as well. Leadership has been in short supply this season at our club, time for that to change!

It's a start.
And Jake would be in charge.
Do we currently have one?
Doesn't look like it.

The last leadership group I heard about was the one where they sent a rookie with a pocket full of sandpaper to do their bidding. :eek:

Good point to bring up , we seem to have some leaders on the field your example of Marty . But do we have leaders off the field , Mentors that guide the young or inexperienced . Looking in from the outside maybe not , could be why all the Hastings saga has gone on for so long as an example
Something isn’t right at the club and it needs to fixed

Dylan Walker was asked earlier this year (or potentially late last year) who was in our leadership group and he didn’t know, so I would dare say if we have one it isn’t widely known.
I remember that interview, he said, "who ever carries the ball is the leader" .....strange answer.
He could have mentioned any number of players including himself but came up with that instead.
when I thought about his reply, I realised, could he be alluding to the fact, that, "players should be taking more ownership when they get the ball"

Last edited:
Jake is a wonderful player and future leader possibly but at the moment he’s not the answer. How many times this year have we seen him get frustrated , have a crack at refs and generally drop his shoulders.His body language ( as is Toms ) is terrible when things are going against us. He’s been binned once for dissent and came close a couple of times.This is because he is so young and genuinely cares but fact is at the moment he doesn’t react to adversity as a leader should.And to be honest he is head and shoulders our best player and he doesn’t need this burden at his age.

Only option I can see is Thompson. Not perfect but he is tough , experienced and has a dig.

The fact we have virtually no options probably defines our predicament at the moment. In past years there would have been half a dozen worthy candidates.

Last edited:
Definitely NOT DCE.

But Manly are full of f*cking idiot.

I remember seeing Jake T on the news around Chrissy 2016. Saying how stoked he was being Manlys captain for the upcoming season then they gave it to DCE

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8