While we're at it…

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
… How bad was it to watch Gutho as the winning captain in the Eels' press conference?
I was overseas when he was moved on and couldn't understand what the hell happened, and it makes even less sense to me now than it did back then. I never bought the argument that it was him or Tommy, that there was no room for both of them in our team. Anyone who'd watched his junior career (and his senior appearances with us), which I assume included the Manly coaching staff, should have known what a valuable footy player he'd turn out to be.
Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

We re signed him thinking Tom would be a little longer before he developed but Tom quickly became one of our best players and the club realised he had to be the long term fullback and Gutherson wanted to play fullback. We could have kept him for 2 more years but he would have left anyway to play fullback.

Injury killed his Manly career.

He was first in line for promotion to the backline in 2015 over Tom but did his knee in that first game. Must of been highly rated by some at the club as he was extended for an extra 2 years (?) after he did his knee but was then given permission to look elsewhere soon after, as Walker was in the club's sights.

Gutho at fullback and Tom at centre would have been quite handy this year

We re signed him thinking Tom would be a little longer before he developed but Tom quickly became one of our best players and the club realised he had to be the long term fullback and Gutherson wanted to play fullback. We could have kept him for 2 more years but he would have left anyway to play fullback.
I think he just wanted to play first grade. He's played a bunch of different positions at the Eels and he's handled all of them well. I'm sure he would have done the same for us. And I'm not 100% sure Tom's a better fullback than he is anyway. In any case, our team would have been stronger with him in it. As an added benefit, the Eels would have been weaker.

Good player but wonder how long it will be until he does his ACL again.

That's always the concern with him now. Unfortunately the backline players we rely on most are also having their share of serious injury woes (Taufua and Walker)

I think he just wanted to play first grade. He's played a bunch of different positions at the Eels and he's handled all of them well. I'm sure he would have done the same for us. And I'm not 100% sure Tom's a better fullback than he is anyway. In any case, our team would have been stronger with him in it. As an added benefit, the Eels would have been weaker.
Considering Tom is the front runner for the blues fullback jersey and Gutho isnt even in considerations for any rep footy...

Yeah its great fun watching ex Manly players - players who actually loved the club - putting in match-winning performances elsewhere. Jamie B last night and Clint today. Well done, Barrett.

Last edited:
Do you really think Turbo is in line for soo after his efforts over the last few weeks.
He can't make it through a game without several mistakes and letting in a try or 3.
Probably not, I agree, but I think Tom would benefit from playing under a different coach and with a different group of players so I hope he gets the chance. He would come back better for the experience.

Do you really think Turbo is in line for soo after his efforts over the last few weeks.
He can't make it through a game without several mistakes and letting in a try or 3.
He and his brother will both play origin this year, to good not to, fitler and johns know this and will pick them.

He and his brother will both play origin this year, to good not to, fitler and johns know this and will pick them.
I think you're right, Turbo1, and agree that he's got amazing potential. I just don't think he's the right option for our team right now. Weird, I know.

I think you're right, Turbo1, and agree that he's got amazing potential. I just don't think he's the right option for our team right now. Weird, I know.
I think the team isnt right for him. No one to mentor him and you see when he plays he is pur best player by a long with his brother and things happen around them but they rarely have support. Put him in a better team and better team space and he would be fine.

I think the team isnt right for him. No one to mentor him and you see when he plays he is pur best player by a long with his brother and things happen around them but they rarely have support. Put him in a better team and better team space and he would be fine.
You might be right, mate. Something ain't working, that's for sure.
It's sad to think he'd be better off somewhere else, and maybe if Gutho had stayed he wouldn't be the player is. And it's sad that I watched Paseka playing well today and all I could think was, "What a shame he's coming into such a terrible team. Won't do his development any good at all."

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8