What this 2016 lot is missing is out and out speed in the backs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Beaver boy

Reserve Grader
Stewart: still has some pace and a great player but is quicker between the ears than feet these days.
Tafua: he's no speedster. Would not be in top 10 for wingers.
Matai: lacks genuine speed
Lyon: was never noted for his speed, and last year went back a couple of notches
Hiku: would be one of the slowest wingers/centres in the comp.
DCE: one of the quickest half backs in the comp .... The exception

TomT: next to James Roberts would be one of the quickest players in comp .... The exception.

Understand that all these players posses other skills that act as an adjunct to the speed component, however the issue here is the lack of pure unadulterated speed.

Therefore the signing of Walker would fill one of the few weak links in our backline.

Scott Donald
Could of ran in the commonwealth games with his 100m sprints if remember correctly and this is goin back a long time but I'm pretty sure ken Irvine holds the world record for a white man over 50m??

Russell Garrner was pretty fast. Then again my memory is of Komori standard. :wasntme:

I wouldnt have walker just for speed not to sacrifice matai and lyon for the druggo and tafua is no sloth, (@PetaHiku) he holds his own when a break is made

I wouldn't trade any of them for an extra yard of pace . We can and will score full length tries and the silky skills will get us plenty of points inside the Opp half . Our forward pack will have us rolling forward .

Speed isn't that important look at cowboys compared to us

Stewart>Coote-Stewart ran him down easy in round 12
Tafua>Feldt-Tafua is actually pretty quick
Lyon>Oneil
Matai>Linnet
Hiku<Winterstein
Turbo>Morgan
DCE>JT

Can't see why it's so important when cowboys one premiership with a slower Backline than ours

Walkers speed would be nice. I think we need those after burners out on the wing. As long as he is the right price and isn't precious about were he plays .......get him.

Walker received a show cause notice from the bunnies today on why he shouldn't be sacked? Makes me think they ain't letting him go. If the wanted to Sack him for the prescription drug do I reckon they wouldn't have just done it.

The big difference in 2016 with dominant speed in the ruck will naturally create room out wide & these so called slow players will be up with the top tryscorers....the main ingredients missing was powerful, intimidating forwards & dynamic explosive dummy half options, now covered....suddenly these outside backs will look yards faster

Could of ran in the commonwealth games with his 100m sprints if remember correctly and this is goin back a long time but I'm pretty sure ken Irvine holds the world record for a white man over 50m??
Yeah, it was yards back then. Irvine ran 100 yards (91 m) in 9.3 seconds at Dubbo in 1963, setting a world professional sprint record. So he was no slouch and is the pick of the speedsters. I also seem to remember him excelling at beach sprinting.

snake and Coote would be even these days .

Feldtwould be quicker than Tafua

O'neill would be second or third behind James Roberts in the NRL and would beat Lyon and Matai if he had either or on his back.

Winterstein way quicker than Hiku

Morgan quicker than any of our 5/8 options

Manly have had plenty of speedsters over our 70 years

Johnny Bliss
Nick Yackich
Ken Irvine
Russel Gartner
Dale Shearer
Stuart Davis
Andrew Frew
Scott Donald
Brett Stewart
Tom Trbojevic

Consider this.......

In about 1947 Bliss was timed at 11.1 for the 100 metres and 9.9 for the 100 yards. While running these times he was dressed in full football gear (including the boots they wore back in his day) while carrying a football. American sprinter Harrison Dillard won the 100 metres gold medal in the 1948 London Olympics with a time of 10.3. If Bliss wanted to he could have been an Olympic sprinter.

We all know about Ken Irvine's legendary speed. If Norths hadn't signed him he might have ended up playing baseball or being a sprinter.

At training in about 2004 or 2005, Snake was allegedly timed at 10.2 for the 100 (hand held). The current (2015) Australian 100 metre champion Tim Leathart has a best time of 10.24 which he set in 2013.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7