What positions do Manly need to strengthen 2018

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Just a few area's....

*Goal kicker - If already at Manly - bloody practice hard over Xmas !!
*Backrower - Thompson is good - protects his half defensively - bends the line....anyone else needed also ??
*Front row - Some BIG cattle coming through but an Experienced GUN here with leadership skills would be the ticket to success
*Centre - Walker coming back from severe injury....the jury still out over Kelly.....Parker mixed reviews....Tom Wright untested.....The gun U20's maybe 1-2 years off - Tough decisions needed here....need to get it right pre 2018
5/8 - Green was Solid....proven GF winner....a reliable cog who does not overly scare the opposition defence, but probably underrated as a General for his team mates....Hastings looked decent in limited matches I seen and would only improve with more game time - but will that happen??....personally can see good in both these guys winning the battle with limited other options....Metcalf could be a year off - expect him starting by 2019.

For me the main spot has always been edge back rower

The other spots sure in an ideal world, but with the salary cap in mind I think we can be okay looking in house

Goal kicker would be the dream but not sure who fits that bill and where they would slot in

I feel as though an experienced prop and a decent/game breaking fast centre/winger would give the squad a better shape but mostly a prop. I hope Paseka gets a decent run in the trials and hopefully AFB steps up.. he could move to starting prop if selected for NZ and puts in a good offseason..

Middle Forwards

Jake
Taupau
Lussick
AFB
Perrett
Sipley

Edge Forwards

Sironen
Winterstein
Brown
Lane

Not sure if the Souths kid plays on the edge or middle, and didn't include the younger crew but I can't see how people see a middle forward as a priority over the edge

Our bench, I read an article where it says Manly were 3rd last from making metres off the bench. I like idea of Toafofoa and Fonua-Blake coming off the bench though and hopefully that would fix it.

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Brian Kelly
04. Dylan Walker
05. Akuila Uate
06. Blake Green
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. XXXXXXXXX
09. Apisai Koroisou
10. Marty Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. XXXXXXXXX
15. Addin Fonua-Blake
16. Darcy Lussick
17. Lloyd Perrett

Depending on the ability and quality of those gap players, would mean a lot in how close to the top 3-4 teams we are - because that on paper is beautiful viewing.

EDIT: And I hated leaving out Frank Winterstein, but would happily have him in Thompson's spot.

These are the positions that I think need strengthening whether by player replacement or harder training for us to win the competition in 2018;

Coach

Supporters (by turning up to games)

Reason being that if we don't improve all the other clubs will, and we will be on the end of worse defeats than this year. If everyone performs better 5 -10 % each game, we will win most games.

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Brian Kelly
04. Dylan Walker
05. Akuila Uate
06. Blake Green
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. XXXXXXXXX
09. Apisai Koroisou
10. Marty Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. XXXXXXXXX
15. Addin Fonua-Blake
16. Darcy Lussick
17. Lloyd Perrett

Depending on the ability and quality of those gap players, would mean a lot in how close to the top 3-4 teams we are - because that on paper is beautiful viewing.

EDIT: And I hated leaving out Frank Winterstein, but would happily have him in Thompson's spot.
I like that side. Starting Prop i'd play Lussick for now, with AFB, Tof, Winterstein and a youngster off the bench. Sironen can't really play the 80 yet so having Winterstein off the bench for a stint wouldn't be a bad option at all, he's certainly a solid, reliable player.

Best case scenario, we snare Thompson and a better starting Prop than Luss.
Worst case scenario, we keep nearly an identical side to last year. Could live with this although Thompson would be a key signing.

I may have my head in the sand but I think our first 17 is pretty solid already.

2rf:Joel Thompson's addition is great and I can see him, Siro and Frank really making the edge their own.

Prop: AFB has really impressed me, Perret will step up (he's shown enough to prove he will), Darcy and Taupau are great already. The new additions of Siply and Paseka could be good depth. Plus Jake is a world beater. Api is also awesome.

Halves: DCE & Green are just superb.

Backs: Jorge, Kelly(Parker), Walker, Uate are as good as any plus Tom ... can't think of anyone I'd rather have (ok maybe Will Chambers for Kelly but that's unrealistic).

Only 14 has me perplexed. Brown, Cullen, one of the younger blokes?? I just don't know.

How's this for a preseason YART (gets me horny):

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Brian Kelly
04. Dylan Walker
05. Akuila Uate
06. Blake Green
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Darcy Lussick
09. Apisai Koroisou
10. Marty Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Brown/Cullen???
15. Addin Fonua-Blake
16. Frankenstein
17. Lloyd Perrett

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Brian Kelly
04. Dylan Walker
05. Akuila Uate
06. Blake Green
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Addin Fonua-Blake
09. Apisai Koroisou
10. Marty Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Jack Gosiewski
15. Taniela Paseka
16. Darcy Lussick
17. Lloyd Perrett

Covered by everyone so far, obvious for me is a game breaking backrower, but Thompson is a nice improvement there over this seasons squad

Experienced fringe rep level front rower coming off the bench would be ideal, I say off the bench because I think Lussick starting for us is the best options, his aggressive starts in both attack and defence can get us on the front foot early

Did Green win a premiership?

If we could get a better centre id take it ( Kelly will be improved by next season though)
Another tuff prop is needed. Lussick dissapointed this year, AFB id have as first change, the rest are a step bellow.
2nd row i think we could be okay there, IF thompson comes over, then we will have some depth.
Again 14 is a concern, id like a bench of two props, backrower and a back/ 9 ie Hastings.

- Goal kicker
- Starting Backrower
- Starting Prop
- Depth in backs and forwards

Everything else is perfect, we are building a great group of players that will be together for another 5 or 6 years. Premiership bound in the next 2 seasons.

If Walker doesn't start the season id give Tevita Funa a go plus he is a goal kicker, hopefully he does some practise in the offseason otherwise Hastings off the bench as goal kicker

A speedy winger one who can turn a 1/2 chance into a try too many times this year we had a winger in space and gets run down those 1/2 chances make a difference eg, Roberts,addo Carr

We need a bit more experience especially up front. I'm not too worried about wingers getting run down or a 5/8 that doesn't make 80m busts, in fact our attack was often very potent (only Storm and Broncos scored more tries) but we need to control the opposition a bit better.

Just a few area's....

*Goal kicker - If already at Manly - bloody practice hard over Xmas !!
*Backrower - Thompson is good - protects his half defensively - bends the line....anyone else needed also ??
*Front row - Some BIG cattle coming through but an Experienced GUN here with leadership skills would be the ticket to success
*Centre - Walker coming back from severe injury....the jury still out over Kelly.....Parker mixed reviews....Tom Wright untested.....The gun U20's maybe 1-2 years off - Tough decisions needed here....need to get it right pre 2018
5/8 - Green was Solid....proven GF winner....a reliable cog who does not overly scare the opposition defence, but probably underrated as a General for his team mates....Hastings looked decent in limited matches I seen and would only improve with more game time - but will that happen??....personally can see good in both these guys winning the battle with limited other options....Metcalf could be a year off - expect him starting by 2019.

To be premiership contenders we need:

A number 6!
A speedy outside back
A strong running forward who can hit holes

Goal kicking for sure!

We need a bit more experience especially up front. I'm not too worried about wingers getting run down or a 5/8 that doesn't make 80m busts, in fact our attack was often very potent (only Storm and Broncos scored more tries) but we need to control the opposition a bit better.

My guess is that you don't actually WATCH many games!!!

The statistics distort the reality.
Manly racked up some big scores in certain games which boosted the aggregate and average but there were countless of games where we struggled. The attack was stagnant and one dimensional, particularly in the red zone.

I continue to say it, the fact we had so many forced drop out is also evidence to the fact that we were not scoring with those possessions. (in the red zone)
How many did Melbourne have?

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8