What good comes of exposing players personal lives?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If someone is going through a difficult separation or some similar personal issues I'd like to think we could all give them some space. If they themselves bring it out into the media then fair game.

There's enough pressure on players on the field without having their private life paraded in the media.

ohh, David Sedaris said that..what was i thinking then. :)

Whilst i understand why it happens, it's amazing that having some fame makes arguing with your girlfriend & losing your own money as examples 'fair game' to ridicule in the public eye. Seeing is we live in these nancy times, i wonder why this isn't considered bullying.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that I like what is reported, but quite frankly if it wasnt being read it wouldnt sell papers. Market forces determine what is written in newspapers and said on radio and TV just as much as any product.

Wiki says:

The tall poppy syndrome is a pejorative term primarily used in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other Anglosphere nations to describe a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers. This is similar to begrudgery, the resentment or envy of the success of a peer.

A similar saying occurs in Chinese and Japanese culture that translates to "The nail that stands out gets hammered down".

Foran and Norman are getting hammered down, doesn't bother me one iota.

Wiki says:

The tall poppy syndrome is a pejorative term primarily used in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other Anglosphere nations to describe a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers. This is similar to begrudgery, the resentment or envy of the success of a peer.

A similar saying occurs in Chinese and Japanese culture that translates to "The nail that stands out gets hammered down".

Yeah, fair enough, but I'm not sure i'd like to be begrudgered.

Wiki says:

Many poppies are quick to point to the tall poppy syndrome, but in most cases the public only start cutting them down after they do something crass, stupid or corrupt. Genuine achievers who are kind and open never get cut down.

The one & only thing that pi##es me off personally with these stories....
If it's an NRL player it's dragged through the mud & front page news....when it's AFL, soccer or Rugby union, it's all swept under the carpet & top secret.
Hmmm. Methinks you've never lived in Melbourne.

Hero worship is common among adolescents. It is better they know their sporting heroes are merely human, just like them.

While we're all putting forward high and mighty arguments here, I do have to admit I loved the gossip of the $75k in two hours.
OMG $75k! IN TWO HOURS!!!
Why, I just cannot imagine ...
Yada yada.

If part of what you do for a job includes taking money from companies who wish to sponsor you or have you endorse their products then by accepting that money you are beholden to maintain and uphold the image that they are paying you for. If you're found to be hypocritical on that front, why shouldn't you be held to account ? You want to be a partying, gambling, antisocial footballer then don't sign a code of conduct, don't endorse products and don't try and portray an image of wholesomeness.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9