What else needs to happen? Or will changing our coach be enough?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
If the team keeps losing (and there's pretty much no reason right now to think they won't), it's likely Barrett will be fired. Results driven business and all that. But will that be enough? Will any other coach be able to operate in the environment the management/owners seem to have created, with Bozo and his family and friends pretty much given the keys to the kingdom?
Sure, we need a clean out, but it's not so much the players as from the very top down. We need owners who are prepared to distance themselves from the day-to-day operation of the club and not take all their advice from Uncle Zorba. And it'd be nice if they weren't engaged in a cold war with the football club and the fans as well.
Serious question, what else needs to happen to give us a glimmer of hope?

Sacking the coach won't fix anything at this stage.
Not while Bozo is running the circus, I wouldn't be surprised if Barrett got sacked and Bozo named Dylan Walker the new captain coach.
We are lacking the players to be a top team even if we had a proper game plan

If the team keeps losing (and there's pretty much no reason right now to think they won't), it's likely Barrett will be fired. Results driven business and all that. But will that be enough? Will any other coach be able to operate in the environment the management/owners seem to have created, with Bozo and his family and friends pretty much given the keys to the kingdom?
Sure, we need a clean out, but it's not so much the players as from the very top down. We need owners who are prepared to distance themselves from the day-to-day operation of the club and not take all their advice from Uncle Zorba. And it'd be nice if they weren't engaged in a cold war with the football club and the fans as well.
Penrith every ones specials for the comp got blown away by the Dragons the team that everyone thought would compete for the spoon . Gould had been at Penrith since 2011 and in 2017 his 5 year plan resulted with an embarrassing loss to the Helpless Dragons
The Raiders and premiership contenders leaked over 40 points and looked lost . Ricky has spent a fortune buying all the big guns forwards and against the Sharks they fired like pop guns .
Serious Questions , What needs to happen ???

What the fck happened to the Titans ?
The Gold coast that every thought a golden era would begin . Did it end with the shock loss to the Knights
Serious Questions , What needs to happen ???

Last edited:
Good question, and good point by @BOZO about Penrith and the Raiders.
The team needs to grow, the job of the coach is to make this happen, we want a team that is a lot better by season's end than what it is now. that didn't happen last year because they were battling under handicaps all year and eventually ran out of troops and out of gas. It is too early to say Barrett can't do it, but that's only my opinion.
I also think it's too early to say this team is a dud and won't make the finals, again only my opinion. We sure looked like duds yesterday.

Yeah, the season is young but it's not "trending positively" as they say. I guess my fear is that Barrett will be made the fall guy, get the sack and then the club will say, "Look, everything's fine now. We've got a new coach." When, to my mind, the problems run deeper than that.

Great post Ron E. What else needs to happen? Simple: common sense needs to prevail. In any code when losses are the norm they GO BACK TO BASICS. In our case the issue is: we have totally lost our culture and our tradition: Never give in and defend like hell. Play for each other. Be proud to wear the maroon and white. The coach cannot understand this because he's didn't play for us when we had a culture. The star players in our club DCE don't get it - it seem he cares a lot about himself. He doesn't seem to give a stuff about our traditions - he never speaks about it. I have faith in one person: Cleary. Sack Bozo Cleary, then Barrett and weed out anyone who doesn't understand what we stand for. I hope Cleary can get the club back to what will make Manly great: our unique culture.

Lets reverse the situation
Take away Sam Burgess Take away John Sutton Take away George Burgess take away Zane Musgrove
And Add Kapow- Add AFB- Add Lussick- Add Parrett
Serious questions , What needs to happen ???
Are we really at the point that we're fearing having to compete against players of the quality of John Sutton and Zane Musgrove? Yes, we might have done better with Taupau, AFB and Lussick in the team, but then again, we might not have. I'm guessing we still would have lost.

We also have $1.5m of our cap locked up with Matai and Stewart
Take away 1.5 Million out of any teams cap and they would be caught with their pants down as well
celebrity-apprentice-naked-photo-300x168.jpg

Great post Ron E. What else needs to happen? Simple: common sense needs to prevail. In any code when losses are the norm they GO BACK TO BASICS. In our case the issue is: we have totally lost our culture and our tradition: Never give in and defend like hell. Play for each other. Be proud to wear the maroon and white. The coach cannot understand this because he's didn't play for us when we had a culture. The star players in our club DCE don't get it - it seem he cares a lot about himself. He doesn't seem to give a stuff about our traditions - he never speaks about it. I have faith in one person: Cleary. Sack Bozo Cleary, then Barrett and weed out anyone who doesn't understand what we stand for. I hope Cleary can get the club back to what will make Manly great: our unique culture.
Culture is important. But it's not that important. The simple fact is that we used to have a better squad. When you have good players and you win suddenly you have a great culture. Everyone is happy when you win. When your squad isn't so good and you lose, pressure from people who expect instant results builds and people end up chasing their tails, focussed on the wrong things. People then say you have lost your culture.

Are we really at the point that we're fearing having to compete against players of the quality of John Sutton and Zane Musgrove? Yes, we might have done better with Taupau, AFB and Lussick in the team, but then again, we might not have. I'm guessing we still would have lost.
Are you serious Ron E ? Serious questions have to be asked !!!
Sutton 190cm 105kg and Musgrove 192cm 110kg up against the light weight and ineffective Kennedy and Brown .

Culture is important. But it's not that important. The simple fact is that we used to have a better squad. When you have good players and you win suddenly you have a great culture. Everyone is happy when you win. When your squad isn't so good and you lose, pressure from people who expect instant results builds and people end up chasing their tails, focussed on the wrong things. People then say you have lost your culture.
I was surprised to read that Brian Kelly said he hadn't yet met matai, Stewart or Jamie Lyon. Lyon I can understand, he has no obligation to the club anymore. But matai and Stewart do and I would have thought their mentoring of the kids would be invaluable. That sounds like a missed opportunity to me.

It's hard to discount the impact of missing 4 props ON TOP of our salary cap dead weight. That might mean we're effectively down 6 props from our top 25 because we can't replace Matai and Stewart's dollars. That's not an excuse of any kind it's just to illustrate that this year we're dealing with a significant salary cap problem that shows itself when we happen to be low in a particular position.

We probably have enough depth across the backs with the smart recruitment of Hastings and Cullen (and if you're going to flog our recruitment for Brown and Myles you better give them credit for the cheap wins like these two and Kelly). But it's upfront where we could do with another 3 or 4 guys.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8