What did they expect?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
This is not politically correct, but it comes from watching rugby league for almost 50 years:
1. The media and the NRL built up this game as a grudge match, heightening tensions. They lit the fuse for the fireworks, with all players keyed up, and a crowd baying for blood.
2. In the heat of the moment a scuffle erupted. No-one should have been surprised. What was surprising was the second-phase brawl. But anyone as old as me would have seen this several times before.
3. I'll guarantee that this 'action' was the most exciting event the majority of the 22,400 people at the ground had seen for years.
4. Now comes the recriminations. The media, and blow-hard commentators will condem the 'action', pointing to it being "a bad example to the kiddies". Let me ask you: if this match was replayed next week, at a bigger venue, how many more people would turn up? The physicality of the sport is what draws people to rugby league. A fist fight is far more noble than a stiff arm, knees in the back, grapple, missile etc.
5. I know my views are old fashioned but when you have a media campaign to "bring back the biff" and a build-up that focussed on confrontation then there are double standards here.
6. What did people expect would happen when a fight broke out? Did they want their players to run away like Creagh did in the SOO - and coped a hammering for? Or did they expect their players to get involved?
7. I realise that Glenn and Blair may cop suspensions and hinder our premiership chances (it will be interesting to hear what West Tigers think of the matter, knowing that Blair is their prized recruit for 2012). But what will hinder our chances more are injuries to Wolfman, Snake, King, Hoppa etc, all of which were sustained by means other than a brawl.

dont forget all the Gallop is coming to brookie hype they said that the Manly fans would boo him and start chants etc,

being there none of that happened

The Who said:
This is not politically correct, but it comes from watching rugby league for almost 50 years:
1. The media and the NRL built up this game as a grudge match, heightening tensions. They lit the fuse for the fireworks, with all players keyed up, and a crowd baying for blood.
2. In the heat of the moment a scuffle erupted. No-one should have been surprised. What was surprising was the second-phase brawl. But anyone as old as me would have seen this several times before.
3. I'll guarantee that this 'action' was the most exciting event the majority of the 22,400 people at the ground had seen for years.
4. Now comes the recriminations. The media, and blow-hard commentators will condem the 'action', pointing to it being "a bad example to the kiddies". Let me ask you: if this match was replayed next week, at a bigger venue, how many more people would turn up? The physicality of the sport is what draws people to rugby league. A fist fight is far more noble than a stiff arm, knees in the back, grapple, missile etc.
5. I know my views are old fashioned but when you have a media campaign to "bring back the biff" and a build-up that focussed on confrontation then there are double standards here.
6. What did people expect would happen when a fight broke out? Did they want their players to run away like Creagh did in the SOO - and coped a hammering for? Or did they expect their players to get involved?
7. I realise that Glenn and Blair may cop suspensions and hinder our premiership chances (it will be interesting to hear what West Tigers think of the matter, knowing that Blair is their prized recruit for 2012). But what will hinder our chances more are injuries to Wolfman, Snake, King, Hoppa etc, all of which were sustained by means other than a brawl.

Wish more people were like this!

Exactly right Who. The media were stoking this fire all week with the Gallop visiting bull**** and the bad blood between all 3 parties. Trying to stir up the supporters with increased security for Gallop because our supporters were going to riot on him. Fair dinkum this makes me more sick than the brawl between Gift and Blair. These ****ing media hypocrites stir it up then come in like they are the all wise sages of everything good and try and pull everyone down. It was a stink, nothing more, no one got hurt except Lussick with a split mouth and Snake doing the damage to himself. Now they are all baying for blood like a shark feeding frenzy and as piss weak as Gallop is he will be suckered into doing what the media tells him. Listen to the supporters and the public DAVID. They loved it, they are craving it and they will pay good money to see it all again. Fine the clubs and the players involved and give 2 weeks off to Gift and Blair. That is all that is required here nothing more, no rubbing people out of the game, no witch hunts ,no peasants storming the ramparts.

mickqld said:
Exactly right Who. The media were stoking this fire all week with the Gallop visiting bull**** and the bad blood between all 3 parties. Trying to stir up the supporters with increased security for Gallop because our supporters were going to riot on him. Fair dinkum this makes me more sick than the brawl between Gift and Blair. These f**king media hypocrites stir it up then come in like they are the all wise sages of everything good and try and pull everyone down. It was a stink, nothing more, no one got hurt except Lussick with a split mouth and Snake doing the damage to himself. Now they are all baying for blood like a shark feeding frenzy and as piss weak as Gallop is he will be suckered into doing what the media tells him. Listen to the supporters and the public DAVID. They loved it, they are craving it and they will pay good money to see it all again. Fine the clubs and the players involved and give 2 weeks off to Gift and Blair. That is all that is required here nothing more, no rubbing people out of the game, no witch hunts ,no peasants storming the ramparts.

I agree with all but the highlighted bit. Send off was good enough for two blokes blokes throwing punches that did not connect!

They (NRL, media) will reap the financial reward, but hang Glen out to dry. By the end of the week, Colonal Garddafi will curry more favour than Glen. This'll be the biggest carve up since grandma's christmas roast (it was bloody huge!).

Rusty said:
20422 people, not 22400 I think you will find.

It looked and felt 22,000. I was there at the souths game when there was almost 20,000 there. Last night's game was far more packed, far more standing on the hill, and not a smidgen of space left in the stands. I reckon they cut the numbers back for a reason - which I have no idea why.

For all those concerned with the fight and are crying, 'what about the kids?' There were tons of fight in the seventies and eighties and I don't believe it effected league sign ups from juniors then. The main fear among parents today is not an all in brawl, but giant 12 year old Tongans running at diminutive future Geoff Tooveys ;^)

I agree. I've rewatched the altercations in a more sober and less pumped state and apart from bodies rushing there was so little in it. A couple of punches with most finding air and lots of tugging. Game over and everyone should find something else to get themselves hot and bothered about.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8