What about Brookie?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
It may have dropped off the radar but how is this justifiable? When will they stop pouring money into Oki (or do I know the answer....labor seat etc...)

From the SMH......

Jubilation time at Jubilee

Kogarah's Jubilee Oval will be packed to the rafters for tonight's big clash, an appropriate time for two federal politicians, Anthony Albanese and Robert McClelland, to announce a further injection of funds to redevelop the ground. The Rudd Government will offer $2.2 million towards the $9.2m redevelopment of the southern stand at the oval - involving new warm-up areas, meetings rooms, corporate hospitality and football offices.

From http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=59

Since the Dragons returned to their spiritual home, the venue has undergone a significant transformation. An initial $2.4 million upgrade led to improved corporate facilities, new seating and other spectator facilities.

Prior to the 2004 Federal Election, Jubilee Oval gained $8 million from the Howard Government that allowed a new program of enhancements to take place including the installation of 6,235 new seats and state-of-the-art lighting. The capacity has increased to 20,541.

Recently the NSW State Government has announced additional funding of $7 million that will ensure that Jubilee Oval is arguably NSW's paramount boutique sporting facility.

lsz link said:
Recently the NSW State Government has announced additional funding of $7 million that will ensure that Jubilee Oval is arguably NSW's paramount boutique sporting facility.
  For what?  Four Dragons games a year?

Recent reports in Brisbane are that the various State-owned Stadiums in Queensland cost the taxpayer $90m in losses last year.  That's how you make a loss - pour millions into a facility that won;t generate enough turnover to cover the interest bill - let alone the capital repayment.

The reason is simple, political largesse.  Howard was/is a Saint George tragic as was/is Iemma.  Albanese is a Souths fanatic and absolutely hates Manly and wouldn't help Manly if his life depended on it.  Manly let the ball drop by not putting any pressure on the Liberal blobs who represented the area when the Libs were in charge of the wallet.  It's just lucky Sibraa can get us any coin at all.  It's the problem with sitting in a safe Liberal seat.  Those who represent the area don't follow league, they're Rules or Union types.  Pity.       

Thats right DSM5, the reason why Brookie doesnt get funding is because the region is a safe Liberal seat. It will be very hard to convince the current Labor goverment to spend money on a seat which wont turn votes towards themselves, and when liberal were in charge they didnt have to spend money on the region because its such a safe seat. If it were a contested seat like most in sydney's western suburbs well then it would be a different story.
(its all about getting votes)

Funny thing was last election when the Howard Government offered something like $10M to brookie if they had won the election (which was highly unlikly at the time) further turned the region to more of a Liberal seat which therefore makes it even harder to get funding from the government this present day  and thats not just funding for brookie but funding for the whole shire.

deadlyeagle link said:
Thats right DSM5, the reason why Brookie doesnt get funding is because the region is a safe Liberal seat. It will be very hard to convince the current Labor goverment to spend money on a seat which wont turn votes towards themselves, and when liberal were in charge they didnt have to spend money on the region because its such a safe seat. If it were a contested seat like most in sydney's western suburbs well then it would be a different story.
(its all about getting votes)

Funny thing was last election when the Howard Government offered something like $10M to brookie if they had won the election (which was highly unlikly at the time) further turned the region to more of a Liberal seat which therefore makes it even harder to get funding from the government this present day  and thats not just funding for brookie but funding for the whole shire.
Stop being intelligent and talking politics on a footy forum. The house of Reps is Green, The Senate is Red, The Seargent At Arms carries The Mace, I do so like green eggs and ham, I do so like them Sam I am. Go the Sea Eagles.

ha it is relevant and about footy and the reason why we are finding it hard to get funding and the reason why it has taken so long jsut to get anything.

deadlyeagle link said:
ha it is relevant and about footy and the reason why we are finding it hard to get funding and the reason why it has taken so long jsut to get anything.
Settle down. Anyone that refers to Green Eggs & Ham in a post isn't really being all that serious.

With the announcement of an expanded Super 14 competition, perhaps the Sea Eagles should approach the SANZAR with the idea of Brookvale Oval hosting the much-request Pacific Nations side.

A north side stadium of 25,000 all-seated would be an ideal draw card for the Rugby heartland of the northern beaches and we could also pick off some of their fringe players for the Sea Eagles.

niccipops link said:
[quote author=deadlyeagle link=topic=180381.msg223061#msg223061 date=1242385811]
Settle down. Anyone that refers to Green Eggs & Ham in a post isn't really being all that serious.
[/quote]

It must be serious. I do recall from my childhood disturbing vivid images of that green eggs and ham sham.

Jatz Crackers link said:
[quote author=niccipops link=topic=180381.msg223065#msg223065 date=1242386804]
[quote author=deadlyeagle link=topic=180381.msg223061#msg223061 date=1242385811]
[/quote] It must be serious. I do recall from my childhood disturbing vivid images of that green eggs and ham sham.

[/quote]Would you like them in a house? Would you like them with a mouse?
I'll take the mouse, no, make that a gerbil.

You've got a good point Matas, though I think the rugby types would prefer Nth Sydney oval.  More pukker and closer to the rugby heartland that was Norths own.  Interesting to see Phil Blake getting involved in coaching Manly ru.   

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8