We stuffed up on letting Burns go

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silver

Reserve Grader
We let Burns go because they said Jamie Lyon was going to be 5/8 for the next season and beyond so no space for Burns.  Now we are chasing Carney for $400k+ a season to play 5/8.

We all knew Lyon was not a 5/8.  Can someone explain the logic of this club to me??? We could have had Burns for $250k max and then some spare coin, but no! lets pay $400k for someone else a known loose cannon!!!!  Another Orford saga could be in the wind, let them go and then re-sign then for overs in a few years time.....

Carney is about 3 times the playmaker Burns is, has a better kicking game, better passing game and is probably quicker as well. I also don't think Burns was exactly a Saint off the field either, not if his attitude on the field is any indication of his off field demeanour.

Whilst Travis is only young and may improve, all he basically offered us was solid defence and a bit of mongrel on the field. I'd have Carney in a flash over what I saw from Burns last season.

One is a solid first grader with not much potential for more, the other is a top playmaker with potential to be the best half in the NRL within the next 3-4 years.

Burn's Pros in my opinion:-

+ Aggression
+ Attitude to win
+ Defense
+ Talk
+ Energy
+ Side Step

Burns Cons in my opinion:-

+ Gave away too many penalties
+ Couldn't pass the ball wide, or didn't enough
+ Defense (I know I also put it in Pro's)
+ Attitude off the park

Also guys, the club offered somewhere around $180k to retain the guy. It was BURNS who decided to leave. Not Manly's.

Manly could not guarantee Burns first grade. That is the main reason. Burns was tough and gutsy but was not the sort of player who is going to be a top line first grader who you build a side around.

We are not guaranteed to get Carney.

I woudl be supirsed if we get Carney - Penriff are offering more money while Raiders have helped him through his issues and therefore have a loyality factor.

Our only hope is that he wants to play in a successful team and likes the beach.  Not many waves at Lake Burley Griffen or on the Neapean

It was suggested in one of the newspapers that we were holding out the captains role for Carney as a carrot.

Seems a rather dubious propostion i thought.

Brett Stewart might like a captaincy role down the track as well

Burns is average, can;t set up an outside man and has no kicking game. Very over rated player.

Carney would be signed for 2009, which may open up many more possibilities than 08

If he signed, and Bell is let go, then Lyon to centre with Carney and Orford

Or Orford is let go and Bell extended, leaving Lyon and Carney in the 6 and 7

While we are on the subject of the halves, was interesting to see in Big League that Jason Wells could be considered as a 5/8, they talked up his ball and kicking skills

Wells was a 5/8 at the dogs but played backrow with us - if we get an injury in the halves we needs to find someone & guess either him or Halden are our only options at this stage

We have Wells, Stewy, Ballin etc etc who can cover 5/8. All have great kicking, passing & positional games. Halden can cover either halves position. I'm sure there's some kid in the lower grades as well, there has to be someone to replace Groome.
Stop worrying about that crap.
All we have to worry about is form & combos, not troops.

Agree 100%, Lyon aint a 5/8 hes a centre, watch Burnsy now hes runnin off thurston. Hell be the queensland 5/8 in no time. Because they paid the cash they gotta try and justify it, not the best way to run a footy team.

Whatever emotion is out there due to our **** play, you are kidding if you think Burns is the answer. I'm watching Burns now and Nth Qld are not going real hot themselves.He chose to leave and we wanted him to stay for depth in the halves mainly. He had ticker but not a lot else. if Burns plays 5/8 for Qld they are struggling.

Burns is better than Lyon in 5/8 though, he had a good long kicking game too, and goal kicking game and had more creativity than Orford and Lyon together so far this season

Don't agree mate, both kicking games are rubbish. Personally, i think Burns is the most over rated player we have had the past couple of years

Yeah I saw Witt the other week and he didn't look too bad. Plus he seems to have the spark we are desperately missing. If only he could tackle.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6