Wayne Bennett calls for golden point scrap again

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagle9413

Forward Pass
Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett has again criticised the golden point system, with the veteran rugby league mentor saying that the concept is for the fans and not the players.

The comments come after the Broncos were defeated 21-20 in golden point by the Cowboys in another classic Queensland derby on Friday night.

http://yi.nzc.am/bofai5

I agree with Bennett. If a team can't win in 80 mins, they don't deserve 2 points. Why should they be given more time to achieve the win.

...I almost can't type the words but Bennett is ri.....rig....righ.....not wrong.

It just becomes a field goal -a- thon and the rule book goes out the window.

Get rid of it. If it's a draw, it's a draw.

i have no problem with extra time... much rather get a result than a draw.. butthats just me...

i just dont understand why its so hard... 5 mins each way, try is instant finish... actually promotes playing attacking footy, not milking penalties and taking 300 shots at drop goal

I have mixed feelings about it...I don't think it's black and white. To say that Golden Point is for the fans and not the players, it certainly looked like the Cowboys players were OK with the concept last night.

Further, isn't the whole point of RL for entertainment anyway? If you are not putting on a spectacle for the fans, then JT and co. can run around the local park down the road and play can't they?

It just seems that everything in the NRL is reactive...the papers and fans call for a result because a draw was frustrating and so they bring in golden point...we have it for a while and then the same papers and fans calling for the draw to be abolished are the same ones that want golden point gone?!

We just love to constantly fix things in the NRL. Before they worry about doing anything else, how about sending a memo to the touch judges to follow the play "in line" and call on forward passes?! Last night's game wouldn't have even gone to golden point if the Broncos hadn't got lucky...kiss my arse Bennett!

I have mixed feelings about it...I don't think it's black and white. To say that Golden Point is for the fans and not the players, it certainly looked like the Cowboys players were OK with the concept last night.

Further, isn't the whole point of RL for entertainment anyway? If you are not putting on a spectacle for the fans, then JT and co. can run around the local park down the road and play can't they?

It just seems that everything in the NRL is reactive...the papers and fans call for a result because a draw was frustrating and so they bring in golden point...we have it for a while and then the same papers and fans calling for the draw to be abolished are the same ones that want golden point gone?!

We just love to constantly fix things in the NRL. Before they worry about doing anything else, how about sending a memo to the touch judges to follow the play "in line" and call on forward passes?! Last night's game wouldn't have even gone to golden point if the Broncos hadn't got lucky...kiss my arse Bennett!
Snake I like it!

Can't disagree with any of that. I don't mind golden point, but police it. Offside, or whatever call the penalty. And exactly about it being an entertainment sport. The game is for the fans......but I think at times people like Bennett forget that. Wayne your million dollar salary is a result of fans. No fans, no broadcast deal no million dollar Wayne salary.

I also don't get this about the extra 10 mins being so taxing on the players. Sure they are a bit tired, but it's almost like we are asking them to play another game.

Both sides are tied at the end of the game, give them a point each. As it stands now, the Broncos walk away with nothing from a game that they tied at full time. Not needed in the competition table rounds.

Two of the best club games I've ever seen were draws.
Both against the parra grubs and both at Cumberland madhouse.
Us v them 19 and 22 all respectively 80/81 from memory.
In 1980 I was too vocal and as a 15 year old upset local royalty ( a bikie ) who threatened to pulp me all supported by the 2 headed parra side of my family.
The following year he remembered me and gestured to cut my throat.
I hope he had a date a couple of years later at milperra cause I mightn't get a 3rd chance.
Nonetheless I agree with Whine Bennett.

i have no problem with extra time... much rather get a result than a draw.. butthats just me...

i just dont understand why its so hard... 5 mins each way, try is instant finish... actually promotes playing attacking footy, not milking penalties and taking 300 shots at drop goal
A draw is a result! I don't understand

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8