Walking off the mark

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Fluffy

Journey Man
Firstly we were crap and should not have won but seriously how many times can they take 2 full steps off the mark making our markers offside allowing Farrah to get a role on?

Thats where the difference was today, they even got a penalty for walking then tripping over grass.

Add Farrah pushing our guys back into the play the ball and refusing to go around them milking penalties.

Glad we were so ****e as we had zero chance of winning that one

Another joke rule they have brought in to favour the attack is the off the mark rule now in operation.

The attacker now can walk off the mark to play the ball for no penalty every time. The referees now just get the player to walk back to the mark. Happened a dozen times this weekend...particularly in the Bunnies and Storm games.

Basically you can do it in every tackle. You either get a roll on or get called back with no consequences. Why not do it...you lose nothing. The bunnies will love it.

Another rule favouring attack over defense...and people whinge about the 7 tackle restart after a **** kick.please!

Susan that rule needs to be tightened up i agree but i don't see people whinging about the seven tackle rule just offering up observations in improving it.

I fully agree attacking kicks such as grubbers and cross field kicks and any kick inside the oppositions half should be penalised with an extra tackle but for long clearing kicks the rule is not necessary and does more harm than good.

People who worry about 50-60m "deliberate kicking dead tactics" are kidding themselves way too much. What they should be doing is allowing the next set of 6 to start anywhere at the 20 to stop teams from piling up defensive numbers around the middle as punishment for kicking it dead from attacking positions.(inside 50m zone)

I would also introduce 20m restarts for any ball caught 5m out to stop the abuse of landing the ball just in the field of play and pushing the catcher into the in-goal.

I thought the call back was for simultaneously held/walking call not getting up off the ground and walking 2-3 steps forward. Either way there should have been a lot of call backs reducing farrah's input

It is now the virtually the same Fluffy.Passing on a held call,ball comes back.Walk off the mark,they might call you back.Why not try it,nothing to lose. These clowns don't distinguish the walking you refer after a held call and the walk forward regardless of what happens any more because they ARE IDIOTS. Have a look at the Bunnies game. Its ridiculous.

susan said:
It is now the virtually the same Fluffy.Passing on a held call,ball comes back.Walk off the mark,they might call you back.Why not try it,nothing to lose. These clowns don't distinguish the walking you refer after a held call and the walk forward regardless of what happens any more because they ARE IDIOTS. Have a look at the Bunnies game. Its ridiculous.

Yep, I watched a bit of the replay, just to have a look at this.
Plenty of times the tackled player crawled or took a few steps forward, especially in tackles with two tacklers.
They make sure they get passed one of the tacklers so he is behind the play the ball - he either is made to look like he's in the way of the dummy half or it negates having two markers.
Either way a massive advantage and I'm sure it's now a deliberate tactic as there is no fear of being penalised.

Farah milked this for all it was worth today, there was one particular time when he had ample time to pick up the ball from dummy half but chose to push our player out of the way instead ( he was making an effort to move away to the side although slowly ) and then Choc (?) dived on it which was penalised. Snake even argued the point that the ref kind of acknowledged.

The play the ball is frustrating too

Only saw it once but I don't think Buhrer dropped his one at all, and we didn't see the ball for another 8mins after that, meanwhile a set or 2 later a Tigers forward pretty much dropped the ball onto the ground then rolled it between his legs and play on

This walking off the mark and dummy half running was the mode when Tigers last won in 2005. They clamped down on it by 2007 and have kept it under control since until this year.

How the referees can watch a tape back and not see what is going on is hard to fathom. You can only assume they all see it but are choosing to ignore it unless it is particularly blatant - but even then, the player is just made to go back and do it properly, so there is no harm to them.

I've got no issue if the referees want to ignore players walking forward so long as they don't penalise the defenders.

But that doesn't seem to be happening this year. They are watching and letting them illegally put defenders into poor positions but then they still penalise the defender and/or let players like Farah create and take an unfair advantage.

Genuine football playing teams like Manly are going to get nailed in 2014 if this illegal advantage goes on.

Kiwi Eagle said:
The play the ball is frustrating too

Only saw it once but I don't think Buhrer dropped his one at all, and we didn't see the ball for another 8mins after that, meanwhile a set or 2 later a Tigers forward pretty much dropped the ball onto the ground then rolled it between his legs and play on

There is no way Buhrer lost control of the ball. He put it on the ground, was pushed by the Tigers player as he tried to play it and then picked it up again to have another go at playing it without interference. Refs got it wrong and he tried to argue his case that he never let go of the ball but the muppet had already blown the whistle. Tigers scored their second try on the back of that "error" from memory.

The ruck was very scrappy yesterday and the Tigers (Farah esp.) exploited it far better than we did. In general we don't seem to push the boundaries in the ruck as much as other sides do, except for maybe Killer. We need to try and use this tactic a bit more I feel.

http://nrl.com/flat-sea-eagles-out-enthused-toovey/tabid/10874/newsid/77420/default.aspx

Toovey didn't want to blame the penalties, which went 6-3 to the Tigers in the opening half blitz and actually ended up favouring the visitors after an 8-3 second half penalty count to the Sea Eagles.

"I think it was [partly] our attitude but I think there's been a sizeable change to the way the referees have been refereeing, particularly this weekend," Toovey said, adding there have been a lot more surrender tackles and held calls in Round 5.

"If that is the case I would hope the referees would notify the clubs but I haven't heard anything. It'd be nice to know if they have been talking about those sorts of things."

I agree yesterday by the Tigers was as blatant as I have ever seen - but no use worrying about it we need to get in on the act. Take a leaf out of the Robbie Farah joke book ourselves and start doing it.

a) Man playing he ball walk 1 step sideways and get the marker who was perfectly square now "offside" and then have Farah run into him and scream for a penalty.

b) Man play the ball take 1 step forward and take 1 marker out of player and Farah picks it up and runs forward - if marker tackles him Farah screams for a penalty, marker lets him go he makes 15m.

c) There's a man on the ground just made a tackle or walking back onside at the play the ball ( who can easily be avoided and is making no impact ) - then Farah stumbles into him and falls to the ground theatrically in a heap.

He needs a clown shoes and a red nose Farah.....he's clever at doing it to be fair to him...but we have to start doing this ourselves if that's where the bar is being set.

Forget the penalties. This was a non-Manly performance. We were missing tackles from the opening whistle.
These type of efforts happen to all teams. I think every team in this comp has had at least one 'shocker'. Titans were absolutely pathetic against the Tigers, and yet they are leading this topsy-turvey comp.
I've always been proud of the fact that Manly rarely get humiliated. We are always in the game. Not yesterday. Tigers were terrific. We just have to put it down as our one bad game in three seasons.
If I'm any judge (and by the way my tips are going this year, I'm not) I'm sure Cronulla will be really disappointed we were thrashed, knowing the bounce-back effect. I can see us winning by a big margin next Sunday.

It seems to be an easy fix.

When marker just step back a meter. If they step forward it'll just shorten the ten. If they start to play it on the mark take the step forward then.

If they step to one side step with them.

If you step back too far you will get pinged for being in no mans land. Once again a simple fix is there-apply the rule ffs move forward off the mark and you get penalised.

Wait for Fifita this Sunday. Media rave about how quick he gets a play the ball done and gets his team on a roll. But he plays tunnel ball like JWH does. Pinksters and stegglers do nothing but watch and let it happen. But if you're Jamie Buhrer or Choc Watmough you will get pinged every time.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4