UFC’s plans to put roof over 4 Pines Park

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Manly Sea Eagles conjure revolutionary way to help build new 25,000 seat stadium​

Manly CEO Tony Mestrov is in talks with government to execute revolutionary plans for a precinct redevelopment at Brookvale Oval, which would include housing for essential service workers and a bigger crowd capacity.

by Dean Ritchie

Manly Sea Eagles have devised revolutionary plans for a precinct redevelopment and increased capacity for Brookvale Oval, which would include housing for essential service workers.

This masthead can reveal Manly chief executive Tony Mestrov has started dialogue with major Sydney developers about transforming Brookvale into a 25,000-seat boutique stadium.

The plan, still in its infancy, would involve the ground and adjoining land at Brookvale being redeveloped to ensure the club enjoys “income streams forever.”

Mestrov will continue working with government, Northern Beaches council and developers this week.

“I have gone to the Government and said we would provide housing for essential service workers, ambulance, fire fighters, police, people who may not be able to afford to live in the area,” Mestrov said.

“Northern Beaches Hospital is close by too with nurses in particular seeking local housing.

“It would be a matter of developers and Government coming together in the community to provide housing. It would be a great story for all.

“(Housing) can be unaffordable in the Manly area so to help us build what we want so there would be no bigger announcement than having those essential service workers here and providing other essential services in the precinct.

“There are a couple of ways to build revenue streams back to the organisation.

“And developers are interested in a redevelopment. At the end of the day, they would take a portion, as would we and there would be revenue streams into the future for both.

“There are various things you can develop around here where you can make money, various franchises.

“With the lack of funds in football stadia, we have to go down this path. We haven’t had one discussion where I’ve hit a dead-end. Discussions are going really well.”

Manly look at Allianz Stadium, CommBank Stadium and the impending Penrith Stadium with envy, the club desperately hoping for a new stadium that can house more than 18,000 fans.

“Redeveloping 4 Pines will provide us with income streams forever,” Mestrov said. “That’s what I’m looking for, to ensure that the club has that long-term, rather than relying on gates, sponsorship and commerciality.

“From our oval point of view, we are disadvantaged and we know it. We need to bridge that gap otherwise we will be forever chasing. Look at what’s happening at Penrith?”

“We’re not on the same playing field. We need to build a precinct and oval. Brookvale Oval will always be our home but we need to step into the future and the community along with Manly supporters deserve a better facility.”

Mestrov met with NSW Sports Minister Steve Kamper in Las Vegas to discuss the proposal, the pair to continue discussions in coming weeks.

Northern Beaches Council owns Brookvale Oval but sources claim the third-tier Government authority would be prepared to share some costs.

The Sea Eagles have decided to brainstorm revenue-raining ideas for a new ground, conceding the State Government won’t outlay funds on stadia.

“The oval is an absolute priority to me,” Mestrov said. “That is the future for this club. The major facet of my job is to absolutely pursue this.

“We have spoken to a number of large development companies and I have had a couple of positive chats with Steve Kamper and he is really interested.

“Maybe the developers could own the oval and charge us a fee? They could be partial landlords with us.”

Manly and the Roosters, both winners in Las Vegas, will play before a capacity crowd at 4 Pines Park on Sunday afternoon with the Sea Eagles expected to announce a sell out by Wednesday.

“We’re back home in front of our own fans so we have plenty to play for,” Mestrov. “We are heading for a sell out and it should be (announced) by Wednesday, if not Tuesday.”

The club has established a new bar area – called The Garden Bar – behind the eastern hill which will include a big screen.

“That means if the hill is full, you can still be there in the ground,” Mestrov said.

This looks like a much better or feasible type of planning or proposal options .
Considering also that Manly only play , what is it , 10 or 11 home games , in a normal season [ plus also hopefully regular finals home games in future times ] .
Certainly has a lot more going for it then that Vagas ground enhancement speculation .

Although the whole transferral of the parkland to third parties has been looked at before and nothing has come of it.

I would imagine too that if any scheme came up with plans to build over (for say, affordable housing) the passive recreation land at the northern end of Brookvale Park, the locals would not be happy and rightly so. Brookvale is not exactly blessed with parks as it is.

I think it’s a worthy idea, however I would like to see more happening in the achievable ‘here and now’. The new setup behind the hill is a good initiative, so why not make those structures permanent, rather than only there during the football season?

Why not improve hill access by laying a pathway atop it? That way they might be able to do away with the Police-enforced ‘clearways’ up and down the hill, which reduces the stadium’s capacity.

As Chunky alluded to, we still have a 54 year cyclone fence around three sides of the ground. It needs to be replaced, like yesterday. That is a festering OH&S issue that could one day figuratively bite both Council and the District Club/private owners on the backside.

The ground still has wooden benches on two sides of the ground. OK when new back in 1970, not so great now. Again, why has no one in the organisation apparently had the wit to prioritise their replacement with individual seating, more than four decades (c. Jan ‘82) after the first individual seats were installed in the older grandstands?

These are things that are easily fixed and won’t cost a fortune.

And in other news.....

Look for me on the cover of next month's Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition wearing a bikini on a beach in Jamaica.

We've reached a whole new level of pie in the sky reporting. 0% chance of this happening.

Imagine the scenes when there are nurses’ quarters at brookie oval? It’ll be like a carry on movie!

Players will stay back after training for extras. Night shift nurses will be suntanning on the hill during training etc

Maybe they will need the nurses and ambulance drivers close by in case of any injuries that the UFC fighters pick up while training. It's probably a condition that the Americans put in because of their compensation culture 🙄

After watching the double head in Vegas. One this is clear. If tv and NRL want night football a roof enhances that's.

Look at the ball handling and the fact despite the narrow shortened field no one was slid out.
It really showed up what's wrong with open air night footy. The dew!!!

8-Ar5gtKZwyFH141S.png

I just tried to ai generate Brookvale oval to see what would happen.

a. I would love it
b. There is no chance this is ever going to happen

UFC? More likely a UFO landing at Brookie.

Roofed stadium would mean carnage for the two year old Bob Fulton stand.

Maybe they are also planning a High Speed Rail to the front door which will be announced next election.

I think I have now covered the last 5 seasons of Utopia!
Friend, pick your battles and if you've no idea about something there's an adage for you.

The UFC having anything to do with Manly is to be welcomed with open arms.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -60 8