Trial Thread - Manly V Tigers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
My take on the squad is that DCE, Jake, Foran, Croker and Walker are all locks. I assume because Walker played in the All Stars game that was his one and only trial. I would be amazed if Saab and Olak'a are locks, particualry Olak'a. Must be niggling injuries. Of the 5 that I believe are locks, the only 1 that surprises me is Croker - a) not sure why he is guaranteed a start; b) surely if he is he needs all the footy he can get.

I must admit i am looking forward to hearing how some of the young guns go. Quite a few named and they will be permanent features in the next 1 to 3 years.

The feeling I get with the inclusions and outs could be a stretch or valid, but here it is.
I think the wingers playing (tuipolotu and Garrick), are in competition for a spot as Saab will be selected in round 1, but there is another option.....Saab could well be rested and already be Des top choice at fullback for the first round vs Roosters, with Harper getting a chance to make a claim or prove himself there for future reference.
I think there will be a surprise or 2 with the final selection in the spine and it's not as clear cut as some think.

My take on the squad is that DCE, Jake, Foran, Croker and Walker are all locks. I assume because Walker played in the All Stars game that was his one and only trial. I would be amazed if Saab and Olak'a are locks, particualry Olak'a. Must be niggling injuries. Of the 5 that I believe are locks, the only 1 that surprises me is Croker - a) not sure why he is guaranteed a start; b) surely if he is he needs all the footy he can get.

I must admit i am looking forward to hearing how some of the young guns go. Quite a few named and they will be permanent features in the next 1 to 3 years.

Cherry , Jake & Foran , yep no need to trial , keep them in cotton wool.

Croker , no I don’t agree must be injured because if he’s the “ chosen one “ he still needs to prove he can do it and he doesn’t get that sitting on the sideline.

The feeling I get with the inclusions and outs could be a stretch or valid, but here it is.
I think the wingers playing (tuipolotu and Garrick), are in competition for a spot as Saab will be selected in round 1, but there is another option.....Saab could well be rested and already be Des top choice at fullback for the first round vs Roosters, with Harper getting a chance to make a claim or prove himself there for future reference.
I think there will be a surprise or 2 with the final selection in the spine and it's not as clear cut as some think.

Volvo must be injured , surely you’d give him a run in the trial along with the others vying for that position , o don’t see that he could be locked in already.

The Mole: Manly Sea Eagles' hamstring curse strikes again

MANLY's hamstring curse has struck for the second time this week, with talented utility Lachlan Croker breaking down at training.

The injury comes as a major blow for the Sea Eagles, with Des Hasler planning to start the new season with Croker at hooker, with Manase Fainu still unavaialable due to a long-running court case.

Croker, who didn't miss a game last season, is expected to be out for at least the opening two to three rounds of the premiership.

His injury comes just days after the game's most famous hamstring, that of star fullback Tom Trbojevic, broke down 'in the shower'.

Hasler is now likely to start the season with Cade Cust, who like Croker is a natural halfback, in the hooking role.

Cust has been named in the number nine jumper for this weekend's trial against the Wests Tigers.

If he plays well in the role, he will begin the season in the key hooking spot.

The Mole: Manly Sea Eagles' hamstring curse strikes again

MANLY's hamstring curse has struck for the second time this week, with talented utility Lachlan Croker breaking down at training.

The injury comes as a major blow for the Sea Eagles, with Des Hasler planning to start the new season with Croker at hooker, with Manase Fainu still unavaialable due to a long-running court case.

Croker, who didn't miss a game last season, is expected to be out for at least the opening two to three rounds of the premiership.

His injury comes just days after the game's most famous hamstring, that of star fullback Tom Trbojevic, broke down 'in the shower'.

Hasler is now likely to start the season with Cade Cust, who like Croker is a natural halfback, in the hooking role.

Cust has been named in the number nine jumper for this weekend's trial against the Wests Tigers.

If he plays well in the role, he will begin the season in the key hooking spot.

Well that answers that

Volvo must be injured , surely you’d give him a run in the trial along with the others vying for that position , o don’t see that he could be locked in already.
Disagree - I reckon Saab would be the No 1 wing selection, though truth be known, I'm a fan of Tuipulotu and see him a massive potential....what I do know, is Saab is rated as a fullback option and won't be suprised if he starts at fullback game 1....it's getting close now and feel a few surprise options are around the corner....at least we seem to have better depth than in recent years , which is a great thing

Interesting to see Dylan Smith as the only Workers player named in the squad at the moment.
Don't want to knock our squad members but is probably a better fullback than anyone we have in our squad behind Turbo at the moment.A little taller than Snake but has some real Snake like skills,the ability to know when to link in to the line and the skill with his passing and selection are pretty impressive(he was part of the Tigers top 30 and I don't rate Maguires ability to have a clue when it comes to the backline,so being let go by him is not a surprise).
Also interesting to see our young Flegg halfback Zane Harris get a run,originally from the Gold Coast and one we pinched from the Roosters when they went all in on Walker.
Tall for a half like DCE and a goal kicker and was made captain straight up after coming across.Reckon he is worthy of a development contract or spot in the 30 next year.
Hope Cust is ready,he went ok in the indigenous game but he did not look comfortable passing from right to left and did not have to throw any passes of any length.Wonder if odds of Foran starting from bench to play dummy half and Schuster starting at 6 to start the season are increasing?

Well, I just read this whole thread ... and the only conclusion a reasonable person can make is ... we have the greatest number of people per head of membership, that have completed a PhD in "reading between the lines" and "Dessie Channelling" ..

Just kidding the numbnuts ...

For all we know Dessie just told the office girl to make up a list of players who's haircuts she likes and email it to the NRL ....

Well, I just read this whole thread ... and the only conclusion a reasonable person can make is ... we have the greatest number of people per head of membership, that have completed a PhD in "reading between the lines" and "Dessie Channelling" ..

Just kidding the numbnuts ...

For all we know Dessie just told the office girl to make up a list of players who's haircuts she likes and email it to the NRL ....
@Woodsie ,you are assuming you are a reasonable person...... ;)

Bad luck for Croker. Guy has to be one of the unluckiest with injuries going around.

Some input on other starters:
9 - Cust as Starting 9 is how I saw us beginning 2021 anyway so good chance to see if that confidence in him is justified.

1 - Harper as starting fullback is a good outcome for me. He showed some great attacking flair last year, lets see if he can translate that into Def, positional play and reading the game to be in the right spot at the right time - if he does then that is an extremely exciting prospect for short-term turbo-cover.

4 - Suli makes a return earlier than I thought he would. From the training pics he looks super-fit, nowhere near as heavy as previous pre-seasons - I am keen to see how that translates on the field. He really could be anything this year.

6 & 7 - Loving this, seeing the youngsters have a go. Never seen Weekes play, and looking fwd to it. Shoe is just such an exciting prospect, and I think he will convert every opportunity he is given making him an irresistible selection for the season. I anticipate Shoe will dazzle for 20mins, lay on some incredible highlights, and Des will have seen enough and will pull him off to get ready and stay healthy for the big league as our starting 6 - allowing Foran to tag-team with Cust at the ruck (given TNI is hobbled for the time being).

13 - Lot of people see Boyle as a bit of a plodder, and he doesn't seem to figure in much talk of top 17. Given Jake is being rested a number of fwds could have started at lock, so i'm curious as to this one and hope it is reward from strong training. Time will tell. He needs a big year does Morgan.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8