Trent Barret endorsed for Manly head coach role...... by Ricky Stuart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

AndyVXI

Well, I guess I was wrong. When Ricky Stuart speaks and offers an endorsement, we absolutely should all take note. How can anyone question it now? Thanks Ricky /s @:D @:rolleyes:

Trent Barrett right man to coach Manly Sea Eagles, says Ricky Stuart
DAVID RICCIO CHIEF SPORTS WRITER
  • July 26, 2015 12:00AM

THE man responsible for luring Trent Barrett back to the NRL has endorsed his appointment at Manly, where he will become just the third coach in 50 years without any ties or affiliation with the famous club.

Former Test, NSW Origin and present Canberra coach Ricky Stuart believes Barrett will prove a shrewd appointment by the Sea Eagles, should the axe fall on club legend Geoff Toovey at the end of the season.

It has been reported Toovey’s four-year coaching tenure at Manly is over and that the club’s new direction will be declared publicly within 48 hours.

Not wanting to disrespect Toovey, who he said was a “quality human being’’, Stuart offered his insight into the type of coach Barrett is when asked by The Sunday Telegraph.

“The strength of Trent will be that he’ll be his own man — he won’t go copy what’s popular or what other coaches do,’’ Stuart said.

“Trent’s a guy that will also coach for his players and have a true sense of getting his players to play for him.

“The decisions he makes will be for his 17 players. Some coaches can fall into the trap of coaching for others, Trent will only worry about how he gets the best out of his team.

“He’s not about egos or is he a greedy person. Those traits will transfer to his team.’’

From memory I believe Bozo and sticky are good mates.
When Dessie left Sticky wanted the gig however Bozo pushed for 2V.
Point being Bozo was a big supporter of Tooves as head coach.
What's changed? And why?

A 'quality human being', or put more simply, a 'good man'. Thankyou Dick Stuart.

Whatever does 'quality' mean when referring to someone's personal qualities?

Or have I rhetorically answered my own question. Is that a tautology?;)

From memory I believe Bozo and sticky are good mates.
When Dessie left Sticky wanted the gig however Bozo pushed for 2V.
Point being Bozo was a big supporter of Tooves as head coach.
What's changed? And why?
Hmmmm, what's changed. Not sure really, but could it be, just maybe, even possibly that what's changed is our results and position on the ladder. Nah, that can't be it, not dramatic enough, there must be a villain to blame all of this on.

Noticed that its suggested its a gust of fresh air having a non Manly player to then coach Manly. The two identities cited since the 1960s are Peter Sharp and Graham Lowe. Lowe did OK finishing 4th, 2nd and 8th but Sharpes only full year ended with Manly finished 14th. Hardly a glowing endorsement for non Manly players and then bringing in an unknown quantity in Barrett and Cartwright with a 46% winning average in NRL for the old Gold Coast. Sounds like desperation to me to shift 2V out. As for Stuart's rant...well the Penns were pushing for him before 2V originally. Shows their perception of what constitutes coaching talent.

Since the honourable Dalai is taken and seems it's God's Country, why don't we offer the position to the cloud dweller himself. Or perhaps his son will get on better with the younger generation of players. He'd be more tech savvy with Instagram and Twitter. The team could handle a seriously quick turn around 'cause we could rise again after 3 days.
yolo-bitch-please.jpg

Hmmmm, what's changed. Not sure really, but could it be, just maybe, even possibly that what's changed is our results and position on the ladder. Nah, that can't be it, not dramatic enough, there must be a villain to blame all of this on.

Results have nothing to do with it, 2vs lost his job when the partnership ended, the coaching staff are the last to survive but not for much longer, I don't have a problem with change but why would we bring in a assistant coach promote him to head coach, knows nothing about our culture, surely a smart decision would have been 12 month as assistant coach, live our culture and then promoted to head coach. Also how the hell can anyone be happy with Cartright as assistant coach/talent scout

Good points. Remember Bennet saying that any club would be losing the way were due to all media dramas we have faced. MMmm I bet Broncos fans are glad Bennet was not measured on what was achieved at Newcastle last year

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
At the moment we are all livid about the treatment of Toovey and the awful way the club has handled this. I for one am not against change as long as it takes the club forward. I think Barrett will do a good job and he needs to be given the chance to do that. Its way too early to judge but if you look how the Roosters and Souths went for rookie coaches, it has not affected them, so lets see. As long as Toovey is treated fairly in his exit I will be happy,

^ The Roosters and Souths didn't exactly go for unproven rookie coaches. Both Maguire and Robinson had good coaching records in the UK Super League. And Robinson placed very highly in a couple of international Ugly as a Bagful of Dicks competitions…

^ The Roosters and Souths didn't exactly go for unproven rookie coaches. Both Maguire and Robinson had good coaching records in the UK Super League. And Robinson placed very highly in a couple of international Ugly as a Bagful of Dicks competitions…
True, but Barrett isn't exactly coming fresh out of playing and into a head coach role. Lower grade coach, assistant first grade coach, Country side assistant coach, NSW assistant coach - all good experience at different levels, supporting different coaches = breadth of knowledge.

Let's give him a chance and see what he can do in 2 years time. He will not come in and be the perfect coach, but neither would anyone else. He will make mistakes, but it's what he learns from them, and whether he can establish a harmonious team that has the right attitude week in / week out.

Robinson was assistant coach at Sydney City 2010 and had been assistant coach at Newcastle for 3 years. He was also head coach of Catalan in the Super League for 2 years.

McGuire was Wigan superleague coach in 2010 and 2011 and won both premierships and was declared coach of the year 2010.

Barrett has coached no senior club and has only been assistant coach at Penrith since 2014. His only other experience with the big boys has been as assistant Blues coach and Country coach. Barrett has been helped along thanks to Gould but has had little experience before 2014

Somewhat big difference is experience between Barrett and the other two.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4