[Resurrected] Trbojevic and Gutherson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If I remember correctly. Toovs resigned Gutho. I believe he planned on playing Turbo at 6. Then Bozo was in / 2vs out and clown went and got Walker and told Gutho he was free to go.

Gutho had worse injury prospects than Tom at that stage. It’s easy in hindsight to say a player would have provided more. In this case I simply don’t believe that to be true and we won’t know until the end of their careers. When Tom plays he is in the top 3 in the league. He is young and has a massive career ahead of him. Can’t imagine this forum if we had let him go.

Sadly Tom Turbo is now older than Brett Stewart was when Brett played in our 40-0 demolition of Melbourne in the 2008 grand final. Brett also had to start his career with us when our club was pretty much in a grave.

The club rebuild from 2004 was phenomenal - one of the best ever in rugby league ever (and the best IMO). How are we going to do something similar again?

Forget about which player is better, I know which of the two is playing consistently, (week in and week out), when it counts. Let's see how it pans out from here...

For those thinking of Turbo and Gutho, and which we should have kept, it reminds me of the wisdom maxim about the two bulls on a hill, one old, the other young, overlooking a field of heifers. I think you get my implication.

My understanding is that under Bob Fulton’s obligatory bad boy /‘Yes, dickheads’ rule, Gutherson didn’t meet the criteria.

Thus he had to be let go to make way for the ‘Ghost who Walks’ (because he is routinely injured and cannot run), young Dylan.

I believe it has worked out really well.

Just unfortunate that two of Manly better and highly rated local juniors in recent times and at a similar stage of their careers , both played or were more suited as full backs . Sure that Gutho was playing also the occasional games at wing and centre for Manly but regardless of the present situation , Turbo was always considered the best fit at one in comparison . So Gutho in hindsight could have played other positions at Manly but on a 700 k or so contract now [ and maybe a bit less if he had stayed with Manly ] would have still inevitably put some strain on the cap situation . Having a better run with injuries now then Turbo but as always hindsight is a very convenient distraction . Same in regard to Walker whose rating as a strike centre and capable 6 can never be discounted . As always for many N R L clubs , the old axiom in the general salary cap era , you can "t keep them all , good if you could but reality and circumstances results in other outcomes for better or worse .

I remember feeling bad for Gutho at the time, when the club told him he could go. However Tom was coming thru and considering we had Jake as well as the potential for Ben in the future, the club made a very tough call. There were lots of other considerations, that I won’t bother listing but that’s how it goes. There are plenty of promising kids that never go on to have a successful career so in that respect I’m happy for him.
I still feel that Tom is the far superior talent and even though he’s had a poor recent run of injury, I’d rather have Tom.

Hindsight’s a wonderful thing isn’t it. Clubs lose players that go on to do well at other clubs all the time. I would have much preferred we kept a local junior rather than bringing in Walker. But it’s history now so moving on......

Just unfortunate that two of Manly better and highly rated local juniors in recent times and at a similar stage of their careers , both played or were more suited as full backs . Sure that Gutho was playing also the occasional games at wing and centre for Manly but regardless of the present situation , Turbo was always considered the best fit at one in comparison . So Gutho in hindsight could have played other positions at Manly but on a 700 k or so contract now [ and maybe a bit less if he had stayed with Manly ] would have still inevitably put some strain on the cap situation . Having a better run with injuries now then Turbo but as always hindsight is a very convenient distraction . Same in regard to Walker whose rating as a strike centre and capable 6 can never be discounted . As always for many N R L clubs , the old axiom in the general salary cap era , you can "t keep them all , good if you could but reality and circumstances results in other outcomes for better or worse .

You're right Manly al, the cap would have been tight. We also may also have been contesting the premiership

Gutho is a Toyota Ute and Tom is a Rolls Royce. True that Ute is great value for money that always starts first time but there is no real comparison between the two in terms of quality.

If there was a choice to be made between them ( and there really wasn't ) then we made the right call based upon the information we had at the time.

Gutho is a Toyota Ute and Tom is a Rolls Royce. True that Ute is great value for money that always starts first time but there is no real comparison between the two in terms of quality.

If there was a choice to be made between them ( and there really wasn't ) then we made the right call based upon the information we had at the time.
I like the analogy, mate, but Gutho is at least in the Mazda class. His ability to read the defence and his ball-paying skills are underrated.

And the horrible, sad fact is, we never had to choose between him or Tom. We had them both, and he was only pushed out - literally shown the door while he recovered from injury after signing a long-term deal - because we imported other players (who also cost a lot more). It was a shoddy bit of business by the club and it's no surprise it's come back to haunt us. Karma is indeed a bitch.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8