Toovey Back Working As An Accountant

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
Manly discard Geoff Toovey is back working fulltime as an accountant and has no plans to return to Brookvale Oval any time soon.

But the Sea Eagles legend does harbour ambitions to coach elsewhere in the NRL.

"I've made that known to the NRL. I'd like to stay involved," Toovey said on Wednesday.

Sacked as coach last season after almost 30 years at Manly, Toovey says he's "too busy" to attend any games.

He spent last Friday night at an 18th birthday party as the Sea Eagles crashed to a 28-6 home loss to Canterbury.

"I watched some of the game. I feel for the players that were there when I was there and for the ones who missed out starting in round one," he said.

"I'm sure they will get an opportunity to prove their talents a bit later on."

Always one to wear his heart on his sleeve, the former premiership-winning captain also expressed empathy for his successor Trent Barrett, who endured a horror start to his NRL coaching career.

"It's always hard. He's got a team that's fairly new and it's going to take a while for everything to settle in," said Toovey, who remains very much a fan favourite at his old club.

He received hearty support on social media, while there were also reports some spectators were chanting his name during the season opener.

"The support for me on the northern beaches is unbelievable and I accept that and respect that and am grateful for it," he said.

The 47-year-old is also grateful to land his old job back as a number cruncher as he bides his time waiting for another coaching crack.

"I'm back in there fulltime, picking up a few bits and pieces and starting from the bottom," Toovey said.

"It keeps the mind active and keeps me up to date with what's going on out there in the business world."

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...h-geoff-toovey-back-working-as-an-accountant/

What a champion.

Let's hope someone throws him an assistant role so he can keep his hand in there.

The longer he sits behind a desk, the harder it will be to get back into it.

I don't care who he gets a role with now, I just hope he gets one.

All the best Tooves! :inlove:

So the"story" that the pro Penn camp were pushing last year that Toovey will be given a role within the organisation was well bull****.
I hope he has been paid out in full.

So the"story" that the pro Penn camp were pushing last year that Toovey will be given a role within the organisation was well bull****.
He probably didn't want a token role which is fair enough. The way it all went down, you'd need some distance.

Anyone know what accounting he does? Strikes me more as a financial accountant than say a management accountant...

He probably didn't want a token role which is fair enough. The way it all went down, you'd need some distance.

Anyone know what accounting he does? Strikes me more as a financial accountant than say a management accountant...
I hope he still took the cash though.

2v's experience on the NRMA Board, as well as all levels of League, should have landed him Shane Richardson's job at the NRL. :lightbulb:
His talent is sorely needed at NRLHQ

He will pop up again without doubt, but not necessarily in a coaching role.
Toovey loves the game and he has experience at every level, he has integrity and he has the respect of the wider league community... and he can count.
If John Grant can't offer him a meaningful role then he's not really paying attention.

It was offered but he knocked them back. Wounds were to fresh hopefully in the future!

Is he too much of a dinosaur to be a management accountant?

Here's a bloke who was a respected player, coach and has boardroom experience outside of rugby league. Surely that's the perfect cv for an administrative role somewhere in the NRL. While I completely disagree with the way he was treated, I wasn't sold on his coaching tactics. However, I'd love to see him back at Manly in a CEO role maybe. Never going to happen in the near future though.

Tooves worked public practice at a firm in Neutral Bay earlier in his career so, yes, more of a financial than management accountant.

And for all you accountants out there:

Why did the accountant cross the road?

Because he looked in the file and that's what they did last year

Didn't the Penns offer him talent identification in the Pacific islands. Talk about doing your utmost to send the bloke on vacation and well away from Brookie.

Didn't the Penns offer him talent identification in the Pacific islands. Talk about doing your utmost to send the bloke on vacation and well away from Brookie.

The place has turned into an absolute rabble without him, from SG Ball up. Seems like all the passion for the place has completely died off now, which is why every grade is dishing up uninspired football.

Every flippin grade !!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4