[Resurrected] Tony Williams

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Nuts

I did read that Tony Williams was going to play for BWC last week but not listed in the run on sheet. Anyone know what is the latest with him?

I did read that Tony Williams was going to play for BWC last week but not listed in the run on sheet. Anyone know what is the latest with him?
He had a 12 week suspension due to his 2nd drugs breach :cool:

1 more breach and he is permanently de registered @:smirk:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/132198c45c704db3e2e18754411a86c1

Just when you thought the T-Rex was extinct …

Manly are considering promoting former Test back-rower Tony Williams into the club’s top 30 next year at a bargain base price.

Williams is contracted to Manly’s feeder club Blacktown this year, but the Sea Eagles are considering offering him a spot in their NRL squad in 2020.

It would come at a far cheaper price than when Manly coach Des Hasler secured Williams on a big-money deal to follow him to Canterbury in 2013.

The Sea Eagles have very little room on their cap for next year, meaning Williams’ cut-price deal could be attractive to the club.

Hasler and Williams have a long association dating back to 2009 when Williams joined the Sea Eagles from Parramatta. He starred during his 73-game stint at the club.

Williams, 30, is six games into his rugby league return having had his contract ripped up by the Eels last year for failing a second illicit drugs test. He served a 12-game ban before making his comeback for Blacktown where he has split his time between back-row and prop — playing the full 80 minutes in the past three games.

Williams has played just six NRL games since leaving Canterbury at the end of 2016.

as long as we don't have to pay him if he fails another drug test and gets banned, I'm good with him being signed on a super cheap contract, he could be handy off the bench if we have a run of injuries .... he has been playing pretty well for Blacktown Sea Eagles

Been going great playing full 80 as well.
i was there last weekend & from what i saw he spent a hell of a lot of time walking around in attack 3 in from the l/h wing. that might be the gameplay but it was frustrating to watch.
admittedly he did make a good run that led to a try but i wasn't impressed with what i saw. i thought perrot has a much better game than him

He is a fair option. As stated by others above, to balance our roster we need quite a few players on bargain basement contracts.
These will mostly be a mix of youngsters with huge potential (such as Cust, Olakau'atu, Hoppa Jnr); and journeymen who can reliably plug a gap (such as Elliott, Boyle, Docker-Clay, etc).
If we can jag one or two who have actual grand final winning experience, then all the better.
Don't forget the success Des had with Shane Rodney and Joe Gulavao, T Rex certainly has some up-side, and on a low contract carries very little risk.

Size and power matters in the modern game and Trex has proven in his come back games with Blacktown that he is still a formidable force

At the right price he would be good value . I m looking forward to the Trex revival .

williamst_2nh_3136.jpg

I’m for this. I see him being used as impact off the bench at the back end. I think used in short stints he will cause some damage to tiring defence. He is a powerhouse runner of the ball. I feel cutting his mins will really bring out a power game

Last edited:
Credit where due - have seen him only twice for Blacktown in 2019 and has made some blockbusting runs and great offloads, its not NRL, but he looks keen and fit and if he turns up like that for 2020, with the same enthusiasm on small coin, 100% keen on the idea.

i was there last weekend & from what i saw he spent a hell of a lot of time walking around in attack 3 in from the l/h wing. that might be the gameplay but it was frustrating to watch.
admittedly he did make a good run that led to a try but i wasn't impressed with what i saw. i thought perrot has a much better game than him

I'm with you @castle eagle watched him last weekend, he's still a cat. Commented in another thread that he still hasn't learnt to run hard. Such a waste.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8